Forum - View topic
trolling by private message and also probably cyber-bullying




Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mdo7



Joined: 23 May 2007
Posts: 5474
Location: Maryland, USA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:09 pm Reply with quote
OK, I don't know where to start. It seem like a former user who was probably banned, Shiratori1 came back on ANN by another name, Himeko90.

Both users had a grudge against me because Himeko90/Shiratori1 didn't like my view, and Himeko90 decide to antagonize me by PM rather then the forum itself. This isn't related to the rage/spam PM, this is more related to trolls Tempest talked about that "aggravate people and start fights, all the while not breaking any black and white rules (such as "no swearing.")." But the difference, the antagonzing another users is not on the forum board, but by using the PM system to do that. Himeko90 is one user that is doing this to me. This is related to the Answerman thread when it was talking about J-dramas and I decided to give my input/thought on it and yes I bring up K-dramas in it only because I like doing comparison/contrast on how both country handle dramas for exporting outside of their country.

Here's the evidence to back me up (and I saved the PM in case if this continue), this was dated Dec 28:

Himeko90 wrote:
STOP soapboxing about K-Pop/K-dramas! We have heard enough already........


Then I replied back:

I wrote:
Not soapboxing, expressing my opinion. I have my right to express my opinion and none of the mod complain about it. I didn't see anybody making a big deal out of my post. So don't PM me again telling me not to use K-pop/K-drama as example how Japan to gain global relevence.


I got this on Dec 29 from Himeko90:

Himeko90 wrote:
1.It IS soapboxing. Every time there is a culture-related news article, you rush into its comments and rant on how well korea is playing the pop culture game and how Japan is losing it (which is completely unfounded and flies in the face of reality). We get it, you like K-pop/K-dramas. We don't need to hear about it in every single thread.

2. People HAVE complained about your posts. They haven't done so recently because they know that you will just deny the facts, label them as nationalists that are against korea, and continue to spit out the same rhetoric in thread after thread (in other words, you aren't worth their time and energy anymore).


I find that PM from Himeko90 odd and full of irony because how was I soapboxing when I didn't get any warning from the mod, also none of my comment like this one and this one didn't get edit or deleted. I mean nobody else beside Himeko90 accuse me of soapboxing, and another user, Poonk brought up dramas too. I find it odd that Himeko90 target me and not Poonk if it came to dramas. I'm kinda surprised he/she didn't went after Somewhere, another ANN user when he brought up Chinese dramas and Himeko90 give him a free pass.

I replied back:

I wrote:
Himeko90 wrote:
1.It IS soapboxing. Every time there is a culture-related news article, you rush into its comments and rant on how well korea is playing the pop culture game and how Japan is losing it (which is completely unfounded and flies in the face of reality). We get it, you like K-pop/K-dramas. We don't need to hear about it in every single thread.


Well I don't see the mod stepping in and criticizing my comment or editing or deleting my comment regarding that. I don't go over the line for that certain thread. The K-pop/k-drama thing is not going off topic and I used that to compare how Japan handle J-dramas and contrast between how Japan and South Korea handle products export (that include music and dramas) and nobody else beside you are complaining about it on the thread.

If you're going to criticize me, then why aren't you criticizing Poonk for doing the same, aren't we both are discussing about K-drama and J-drama on that thread too?

I'm giving an unbias view about Japan and Korea on pop culture achievement. Sure anime/manga did a lot of global achievements that would make Japan proud, but J-dramas and J-pop never reached the same milestones/global achievement like K-pop and K-dramas did. I never seen Japan doing anything similar to Hallyu, I never seen a Japanese Wave.

Himeko90 wrote:
2. People HAVE complained about your posts. They haven't done so recently because they know that you will just deny the facts, label them as nationalists that are against korea, and continue to spit out the same rhetoric in thread after thread (in other words, you aren't worth their time and energy anymore).


Well, I've seen people throwing hate at Korea because they claim "Korea stole Japan's coolness" and thinking Korea is inferior over Japan when they didn't realize that Japan is not being serious on their pop culture scene. I remember Chagen46 said this:

Chagen46 wrote:
Hell naw, more than a few anime fans are hilariously racist towards any asian race that isn't Japanese.


How do I know you're not a weeaboo just ordering me to stop talking about Korean stuff?? How do I know you're not a anime fans that hate other Asian culture and view them as inferior?? Also I recalled most anime fans are open-minded to other Asian cultures that include Chinese and Korean. There are anime fans that are also Hallyu/K-pop fans too!!! I like to add that ANN in the past has reported on Korean-related stuff like this, or this, or this. Anime/manga and Korean pop culture can collide so you'll encounter more people like me in the future.

Look I don't know if you watch K-dramas and K-pop, but if you don't like me bringing up Korean stuff just ignore it, I try not to go off topic and I give a lot of analysis using evidence, I like to see Japan pulling off it's own Hallyu like Korea did.

But right now, Korea is playing the marketing/globalization of their pop culture game better then Japan.

But whenever a topic related to exporting/globalizing J-pop and J-drama is brought up, I'll get deeply involved with it and use K-pop/K-drama as a example of how Japan can replicate this. But what I did on the Answerman thread is not off topic and is fair and I don't see the mod making any big deal about it and nobody else beside you are complaining about my comment (nor Poonk) comparing Japan and Korea compare and contrast of globalization of pop culture.


Then Himeko90 replied back to me on that same day (Dec 29) with this:

Himeko90 wrote:
1. If you want anyone to take you seriously and not just label you as a hater, I suggest that you not use the derogatory term "weeaboo" (when you use that term, it just makes you look like an ass and a dick).

2. You NEVER give an unbiased view when it comes to pop culture (its always korea > Japan with you).

3. I suggest that you work on your grammar (it's almost impossible to read your ridiculous posts at times)

4. Did you use enough of the bold and underline tools in your response? Rolling Eyes

At the end of the day, whether you want to admit it or not, you are soapboxing. You go into pop culture-related threads and ramble off the same statements over and over again as if no one has ever heard them before (hint: we have heard them before (and we don't care)). Your actions are the very definition of soapboxing. Of course, I don't expect you to ever admit to this, considering that you responded in the same way that you always respond to criticism (deny the facts, call those who criticize you nationalists and racists, and continue with your merry-go-round of soapboxing nonsense). Ultimately, what you are doing is annoying (and trolling) and I suggest that you stop.


I find this PM full of irony because I'm bias yet Himeko90/Shiratori1 has a strong bias too. Himeko90 said I have a bad grammar, so according to his/her logic, Himeko90's grammar would be bad too. Also I find it ironic that he/she scold me for using bolding and underline yet this same user has also used bold and underlining in his/her message and on forum post too.

I replied back:

I wrote:
Himeko90 wrote:
1. If you want anyone to take you seriously and not just label you as a hater, I suggest that you not use the derogatory term "weeaboo" (when you use that term, it just makes you look like an ass and a dick).

2. You NEVER give an unbiased view when it comes to pop culture (its always korea > Japan with you).

3. I suggest that you work on your grammar (it's almost impossible to read your ridiculous posts at times)

4. Did you use enough of the bold and underline tools in your response? Rolling Eyes

At the end of the day, whether you want to admit it or not, you are soapboxing. You go into pop culture-related threads and ramble off the same statements over and over again as if no one has ever heard them before (hint: we have heard them before (and we don't care)). Your actions are the very definition of soapboxing. Of course, I don't expect you to ever admit to this, considering that you responded in the same way that you always respond to criticism (deny the facts, call those who criticize you nationalists and racists, and continue with your merry-go-round of soapboxing nonsense). Ultimately, what you are doing is annoying (and trolling) and I suggest that you stop.


Excuse me, you didn't answer my question: how come the mod or admin hasn't deleted my comment, or tell me on the Answerman thread to stop ranting/soapboxing when I didn't see one??

I'm going to quote Keonyn on another thread where people accuse me of soapboxing when I wasn't:

Keonyn wrote:
It's not soapboxing if it's relevant to the article being discussed. Turning half the thread in to a discussion about how much you dislike someone bringing up a topic on the other hand certainly could be soapboxing or trolling. Like it or not, his points are relevant to the article. If you don't like it then you don't have to read his posts or even acknowledge them, but we're not turning this thread in to a witch hunt.


Then she repiled back to me yesterday (Dec 31):

Himeko90 wrote:
1. You didn't respond to any of my last message (not surprised).

2. Changing the subject by pointing to another, unrelated thread doesn't help your argument, nor does it invalidate the points that I have made.


OK, this is where I both scoffed and kinda get agitated by her response, I replied back to her:

I wrote:
Himeko90 wrote:
1. You didn't respond to any of my last message (not surprised).

2. Changing the subject by pointing to another, unrelated thread doesn't help your argument, nor does it invalidate the points that I have made.


Well you didn't answer my question too, and what you're doing is an example of trolling. Also how come the mod didn't delete or edit my comment on the Answerman thread if you said I was soapboxing. If you keep PMing me like this and just trolling me for soapboxing which I'm not, I'll report you to the mod for that if you keep doing it.

EDIT: Read this. You seem to borderline fit this, and while you're not doing this on the forum, Antagonizing another users using PM is just as bad as antagonizing users on the forum. As I said, if you keep this up, I'll report you to the mod for this, and I'll use the PM you sent me as proof.


I don't know if Himeko90 read the last message I sent but Himeko90's behavior of trolling (if not cyber-bullying) by sending PM is ticking me off. Look I have the right to express my opinion on the Answerman thread forum, I did it very civil and polite, I didn't go off topic, and I wasn't soapboxing (Himeko90 on the other hand probably did soapbox but by using PM if that count as soapboxing) on it either and nobody else made a big deal out of my post, and other people on the thread that talked about dramas (J/K/Chinese) didn't get any complaint or criticism too (Himeko90 didn't go after those people if they brought up drama). So why am I a target?? I know Himeko90 and Shiratori1 is probably the same person because the style of writing are one in the same and they both ignore evidence/truth I put up and like to scold people and prove he/she is better then me. Also it doesn't help I haven't seen Shiratori1 on the forum (I asssume that user is ban, right) and came back as Himeko90.

Also trolling by PM is just as annoying as getting trolled on the forum. Is there a rule that if a user is trolling by PM, the user in question would get ban or something, because I'm getting fed up with Himeko90 (aka Shiratori1) behavior, and I would consider it as cyber-bullying. Himeko90 may not use profanity, or racial slurs, or any inflmmatory word on the PM, but accusing me (and throwing made-up stuff about me) of something I didn't do is annoying. Is there anything to do about it, please??? MadCrying or Very sadAnime cry
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nbahn
Moderator


Joined: 14 Dec 2006
Posts: 2331
Location: Now in Great Lakes region

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:17 pm Reply with quote
You might want to PM either Zac or a moderator directly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
mdo7



Joined: 23 May 2007
Posts: 5474
Location: Maryland, USA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:30 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
You might want to PM either Zac or a moderator directly.


No need to, I guess Zac is investigating this from one of his post on the Answerman thread. Also I wanted to see if other people are getting trolled the same way by this same person.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ikillchicken
Space CowboySpace Cowboy


Joined: 12 Feb 2007
Posts: 7059
Location: Vancouver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:12 am Reply with quote
I don't know Himeko90. If he really is Shiratori1 then he or she is a huge douche and should be banned regardless of any of this. But that said, I don't really see how you can possibly respond to his PMs and then claim they're "bullying" you. If you don't want to talk, don't answer. If they keep PMing you after that then fine. Then it's harassment. But if you choose to engage with the dude and get into a whole big bickering match, you can't possibly run to the mods after and play the victim. (Especially when you're the one who instigates the name calling). What's happening here is actually very simple: You and another annoying nationalist are having a stupid internet bickering match via PM. Why don't you just either keep swiping at each other, or if you're feeling mature, drop it and walk away?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Keonyn
Moderator


Joined: 25 May 2005
Posts: 5562
Location: Coon Rapids, MN

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:31 am Reply with quote
Their IPs are the same. Either it's one heck of a coincidence or they're the same person.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7



Joined: 23 May 2007
Posts: 5474
Location: Maryland, USA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:44 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Their IPs are the same. Either it's one heck of a coincidence or they're the same person.


Not only that, but both of their writing style are too similar and their behavior are just the same and both Shiratori1 and Himeko90 end their statement with this: Rolling Eyes

Now if that isn't proof that both of them are the same person then I don't know what is. Does this mean Himeko90 is going to get ban right??

Ikilchicken wrote:
I don't know Himeko90. If he really is Shiratori1 then he or she is a huge douche and should be banned regardless of any of this. But that said, I don't really see how you can possibly respond to his PMs and then claim they're "bullying" you. If you don't want to talk, don't answer. If they keep PMing you after that then fine. Then it's harassment. But if you choose to engage with the dude and get into a whole big bickering match, you can't possibly run to the mods after and play the victim. (Especially when you're the one who instigates the name calling). What's happening here is actually very simple: You and another annoying nationalist are having a stupid internet bickering match via PM. Why don't you just either keep swiping at each other, or if you're feeling mature, drop it and walk away?


Himeko90/Shiratori1 would still taunt me via PM even if I didn't respond back, remember that person target and hate me so that person is not going to give up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nayu



Joined: 23 Dec 2010
Posts: 676

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:24 am Reply with quote
So ignore him. He only has as much power as you give him.

Whining about it is lame.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mdo7



Joined: 23 May 2007
Posts: 5474
Location: Maryland, USA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
So ignore him. He only has as much power as you give him.

Whining about it is lame.


Actually, when Himeko90 sent his/her first PM to me, I didn't know Himeko90 and Shiratori1 were the same person, I found out they were the same person when one of Himeko90's post that had a style of writing that look way too similar to Shiratori1's style of writing, I mean look at one of Himeko90's post on Answerman thread:

Himeko90 wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
I like how you ignore other people if they brought up the same topic as I did, so they get a free pass from your criticism. Rolling Eyes


Yeah, no. But feel free to keep acting as if I am unfairly picking on you and doing so for no reason. Rolling Eyes


and look at Shiratori1's post on a locked thread:

Shiratori1 wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
Ummm... well, sure, I guess, but only seem to post mostly for the sake of being argumentative, belligerent and insulting.
Yeah, no. Rolling Eyes


Notice both of them said "yeah, no" and both end with Rolling Eyes. That and I haven't seen Shiratori1 on the forum for a while, and as Keonyn said, both Himeko90 and Shiratori1 have the same IP address, so that ain't a coincidence.

I know Shiratori1, she is an example of Tempest's profile on troll that "aggravate people and start fights, all the while not breaking any black and white rules (such as "no swearing.")." Also Zac said that Shiratori1 send him abusive PM too (until Zac put a ban on Shiratori1), like Himeko90 did to me. Shiratori1 is currently Himeko90 (who knows how many more ANN accounts this person has made to bypass moderation status and to continue trolling). I didn't want Himeko90/Shiratori1 to do anymore trolling after receiving annoying PMs from him/her and seeing how she's annoying other people too on the forum (and also using PM to annoy people too).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Keonyn
Moderator


Joined: 25 May 2005
Posts: 5562
Location: Coon Rapids, MN

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Oh, believe me, I'm sympathetic. When I first started warning Shiratori about their behavior I got a few rather rude PM's from them, and once I placed them on moderation after it was clear they were not going to reform I got some more very aggressive and rude PM's from them. I fully believe you that you are being harassed by them because they have a history of doing so via PM's.

Also, telling people to just ignore them and not whine about it is not the appropriate response. Being rude and attacking other users is a direct violation of the rules and we don't want people simply dismissing such harassment because they don't want to whine. We do not need users who are going to treat others like that and if someone is harassing and attacking another user we want to be made aware of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nayu



Joined: 23 Dec 2010
Posts: 676

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:25 pm Reply with quote
People who reply to trolls are just as problematic as the trolls themselves.

Coddling troll-enablers is just asking for more trolling.

(Of course, this would all be solved by an IGNORE function. Seriously, what modern forum doesn't have one?)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ikillchicken
Space CowboySpace Cowboy


Joined: 12 Feb 2007
Posts: 7059
Location: Vancouver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
We do not need users who are going to treat others like that and if someone is harassing and attacking another user we want to be made aware of it.


Nobody is saying we do. Shiratori is awful and should be booted for sure. But mdo7's whole "wah wah, I'm being cyber bullied" shtick is just ridiculous when he chooses to get into it with the guy. If somebody is breaking the rules, report them. But you can't really choose to respond in kind, get into a whole big pissing match, and then turn around after and cry to the mods that he's picking on you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Tempest
ANN Publisher & CEO


Joined: 29 Dec 2001
Posts: 8617
Location: Do not message me for support.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:51 pm Reply with quote
MDO7, tell him to stop PMing you and link to this post. If he PM's you again following that, I will remove his ability to PM.

Some day in the future we'll allow users to "ignore" PMs from other users, as well as a "report this PM" feature.

Zac and/or the moderators will look into whether or not it is a duplicate account.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group