• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - Case Closed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anthony.P

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I just realized it's been nine years since I started following Viz's release of Case Closed! My, does time fly...still one of my favorite series!

This has always been one of their sloppier translation works, though. The actual translation itself is fine, but it's typical to spot a major error in nearly every volume (most notably volume 14, which at one point has half a character's dialogue in Japanese!)
Gasero

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:58 pm Reply with quote
The Americanization of Detective Conan was really annoying. Why go through the trouble of importing something from Japanese culture if you are going to erase the Japanese from it?
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:02 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
gridsleep wrote:
Very excellent article, but should a review be done by someone who is financially involved in the publication? You'll rarely find a review in the New York Review of Books, for instance, that is written by someone who works for the house that published the book under review. I would daresay it never happens.

This isn't a formal review (the column is far too personal and personality-driven to be considered a formal review), but I've seen many similar columns for larger publications in a "Books I love but you may have missed" format that were written by folks who worked on them but didn't write them (publisher, editor etc).

Jason Thompson has covered many, many manga he worked on in this column over the years. All the Shonen Jump stuff, for instance. I didn't think it was an issue then and I don't think it's an issue now, provided you are given full disclosure.

true enough , but its still a decent manga.

but SERIOUSLY??? both viz and funi went chicken @$$ about keeping the original japaneese title cause the creators of Conan the Barbarian filed a stupid lawsuit??

How dumb is that , when for one thing , BOTH CHARACTERS ARE NOTHING ALIKE!!!!

As I said so stupid. they should have challenged it and i would have bet any smart judge would dismissed their ( Conan the Barbarian's license holders ) claims of coppyright.

hopefully if Viz ever does the Big edition they would at least change all of the characters names that got americanized to their original japaneese names especially the main character, cause to be frank jimmy sounds kinda dumb if you ask me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:44 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
As I said so stupid. they should have challenged it and i would have bet any smart judge would dismissed their ( Conan the Barbarian's license holders ) claims of coppyright.

It was not a copyright issue. "Conan" is a registered trademark of Paradox Entertainment. If I understand correctly that means that nobody can use "Conan" in a title without getting permission from Paradox, and probably paying for it.
Viz probably did not think that it would be worth the cost.
And really, how many more copies of the books would they have sold if "Detective Conan" was on the cover instead of "Case Closed"?

Quote:
hopefully if Viz ever does the Big edition they would at least change all of the characters names that got americanized to their original japaneese names especially the main character, ...

That I definitely agree with.
The only thing that I really do not like about the Viz manga and the Funimation anime are the name changes and the way that they tried to make it look like the show was set in the US. It would not have been quite so bad if they had been able to make it believable, but there were just way too many things that did not fit in that scenario.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:38 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

It was not a copyright issue. "Conan" is a registered trademark of Paradox Entertainment. If I understand correctly that means that nobody can use "Conan" in a title without getting permission from Paradox, and probably paying for it.

It is likely they could have successfully challenged that the trademark applied, but as court cases aren't free of cost (to understate the matter), it simply wouldn't be worth it.

A bit more on trademark and titles, for those with a bit of time to kill:
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/textacademicpodcast/2011/03/09/understanding-trademarks-book-titles
geopgeop

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Since we're discussing names here, it should also be noted where the name "Edogawa Rampo" was originally taken from: Edgar Allan Poe.

*cue "Ohhhhh...." moment here*
The Mask

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:36 am Reply with quote
I'm a Detective Conan fan for over a decade already, and I'm really thrilled to see a feature for this series here in ANN. It also seems fitting that this feature was released this month, when the series is about to celebrate its 20th anniversary.

Here are my thoughts:

Quote:
The casual juxtaposition of cute kiddie artwork and brutal crime scenes remains faintly bizarre no matter how long you keep reading, but it's probably a big part of why grade-schoolers like Case Closed: it's kid-oriented enough to feel safe, crime-oriented enough to feel dangerous.

I think Ms. Garrity really hit the mark with this particular quote.

I've tried reading other detective stories after becoming a fan of Detective Conan. But as you mentioned, this one is really unique in having such an unique yet charming mix of cartoonish art and graphic violence. This is what's admirable about Aoyama's work in Detective Conan, and it's an art style that I hope to emulate in the future.

Quote:
Meanwhile, Funimation and Viz couldn't call the series Detective Conan because of the threat of a lawsuit from the holders of the rights to Conan the Barbarian, who has his own rival comic books.

I've heard this story several times, and I can't help but get angry at this. The idea that a comic publisher can actually extend so much of its licensing rights for the name "Conan", to the point that it can even stop an unrelated series with "Conan" in its title, is just irritating, selfish, and annoying for me.

But I guess the problem isn't so much about the title alone. The fact that so much of the names of the characters had been changed has been a source of frustration for me as well. If the issue was really with the Conan the Barbarian copyright, then why did the names have to be changed?

I once read that the Japanese licensing companies in charge of the series actually requested the Westernized version of the names so that it would somehow become the next Pokemon. Unfortunately, it didn't succeed as they hoped. I'm not sure if you can confirm that, though, since it was just something I read in another forum.

Still, I think the Westernized names became a factor in the lukewarm acceptance of the series compared to other shows. Jimmy Kudo was tolerable, since the surname wasn't changed. Rachel Moore was just wrong for me, though; they could've at least kept the Mouri surname instead.

This is why I dislike the idea of calling Detective Conan as Case Closed. The latter franchise has significantly changed a lot of important plot elements that you can really distinguish the two from each other on different factors.

Quote:
But at least he has a lot of freedom, thanks to his parents being constantly out of town and arguably criminally negligent.

This is one plot element that somehow appears bizarre to me. But I'm not sure if this is a cultural thing, though, or probably a reflection of how Japanese people used to live in the 1990s. After all, MAJOR, another Shonen Sunday manga title which debuted in the same year that Detective Conan did, also depicted a 6-year-old constantly living alone in his house while his father was busy working as a professional baseball player.

Quote:
Often these ideas go into mystery plots, of course, but he's just as happy to spend a page having Conan explain how to efficiently clean a room (start at the top and work down!), letting Anita talk about the differences between school lunches in Japan and in her own childhood in the U.S., or sharing a casual conversation between two characters who need a little development.

There's a chapter about that? I think I can really use that right now. Hehe...

Quote:
The plot that builds the most slowly is the main one: the story of how Jimmy uses his identity as Conan Edogawa to track down the “Men in Black” who turned him into a six-year-old and, hopefully, find a cure...For readers eager for the solution to the mystery, this can be frustrating, but the only cure is to relax and enjoy the murder of the week.

Yup, you hit the mark once again. But it can't be helped; it's been 20 years already since the manga began, and in the real world, Conan should have been a grown-up already by now.

This is actually part of my frustration with the series. There is a lack of physical development in the characters, yet there is a clear presence of technological advancement in its contexts. This is a bit disappointing and illogical for a detective series that is supposed to have utilized logic as its primary asset. At least, that's what I believe.

Quote:
He's one of the manga artists I'd most like to meet. If someone here has met him, and he's super boring, don't tell me. I prefer the mystery.

Same here. Even if he ends up being boring, I wouldn't mind meeting him at least once in my life. Partly because I'm a bit boring myself (hehe...), but mostly because he has created the series that has become one of the most significant influence in my life, even until now. It has its faults, but Detective Conan will always have a special place in my heart.

Last edited by The Mask on Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
kudoshinichi95

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:43 am Reply with quote
Sometimes I really can't hold my laughter in Germany they have almost caught up with the original Manga. The German Manga has caught up with the Anime series, how can it be that the U.S.A that is three times bigger than Germany in population is stuck in the Manga's 40's somewhere even in Sweden (yeah Sweden they have a population of 9 million people and the most of them are not Manga fans) the Manga has come further than the U.S version. And I really don't think that Gosho Aoyama wanted the characters to have American names. In Europe all characters have their original names and both the manga and the series/(now only the movies will be released) have taken over the original name (only in their languages that means for German it is Detektiv Conan <--- really really near the original and in Swedish it's Mästerdetektiven Conan <------ (far too long and a really ugly name over that I even prefer Case Closed ^^)

I discussed that with other Germans in a DC forum about how popular DC really is and they only thought about Germany and Japan -.- yeah the U.S.A is still bigger than Japan and Germany together and no one even things about Detective Conan anymore the most even forgot it ^^ It's really worth watching it and there are several "episode guides" that will show you which episodes are not plot related so you can jump over them.

If you want one of these just PM me ;)
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:10 am Reply with quote
I don't see how a country's size has to do with the manga being caught up with both the animated adaptation and the original release of the graphic novels.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:44 am Reply with quote
it doesnt.

though westernizing it does. and it makes out for a real problem in the end cause die hard otakus would want some of the original work. sure i still dont get the whole conan name license considering that the series probably existed long before the original conan the barbarian , but at least they better have the original japaneese names if they ever decide to release their BIG editions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:21 am Reply with quote
From looking at wikipedia Conan the barbarian was first created in 1932 in a series of Fantasy stories publish in a magazine called Weird Tales. Great Detective Conan was publish 62 years later in 1994 in Weekly Shōnen Sunday. So it's actually the other way around in terms of which series came first. However I do agree with you in terms of the name license. I don't think a name should be copyrighted, and it's not like people are going to confuse these two characters who have different professions.

Also I pointed this out because to me kudoshinichi sounded as if with how big the U.S is there should be a lot of people who are reading this manga when in actuality the series is not quite as big enough to be fully recognize mainstream as with other titles such as The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins or Harry Potter by J.K Rowling to name a few. I would like if Viz release this story as an omnibus (it's been long overdue), and it would be nice of they republish the story with original names of the characters.

I never saw the logic behind westernizing as I don't see how changing characters name would help people identify with them more. People don't relate to characters by name.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3