• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crowdsourcing - Anime/Manga/Merch.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:28 am Reply with quote
As of this post, you got less than 23 hours to get Dear Brother cheap. That is, unless you don't mind paying $60 per boxset at Right Stuf.
Judge Of Toyama

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:58 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
As of this post, you got less than 23 hours to get Dear Brother cheap. That is, unless you don't mind paying $60 per boxset at Right Stuf.

You could always buy it at Animecornerstore.com when it comes out. They have Creamy Mami and Black Jack for $39.98 each. So, I imagine Dear Brother will be the same price.
speshy

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:03 am Reply with quote
Hey guys,

This isn't the standard crowdsourcing, and isn't for "animated" anime per se, but it is certainly related to both... I was wondering if you could give advice on how to gain support for my LEGO Howl's Moving Castle, and Laputian Robot projects. They need to gain 10,000 supporters (each) in order to be officially reviewed by The LEGO Group, who may decide to make an official set based off these designs.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/37352

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/39857

I'm out here trying to get LEGO and Studio Ghibli to team up together and make some awesome sets for kid- and adult-fans of both LEGO and Studio Ghibli. Their system changed recently, so now I've got a ticking clock held over these proejcts. 362 days left!

Do you have any tips on how to reach other Studio Ghibli fans? I know their numbers are huge--who can blame 'em. I've already had one of my projects featured on facebook's Studio Ghibli page, and have visited a couple other Ghibli forums.

Thanks,

K

Edit: No financial pledging necessary. Just a few clicks of the mouse and a love for LEGO / Studio Ghibli!
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Done. I think it's a pretty neat idea that has the potential to bring in a new generation of anime fans while also appealing to pretty much all age groups because...who doesn't like Ghibli films?
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Toyama: But that's still $10 more per set. Anyway, less than 5 hours left.
F-Man

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:10 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Toyama: But that's still $10 more per set. Anyway, less than 5 hours left.

There's no reason to think Anime Corner Store wouldn't charge Anime Sols price like they did for Black Jack and Creamy Mami, in this case it would be at $30 and not $40. Right Stuf would charge $45 and not $60 if we follow the 150% price markup logic they had for Black Jack and Creamy Mami.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:00 am Reply with quote
F-Man:
Quote:
Right Stuf would charge $45 and not $60 if we follow the 150% price markup logic they had for Black Jack and Creamy Mami.

True, but then Sols has to split the profits with Right Stuf.

Anyway, this argument is moot, as the Sols Dear Brother thing is closed.

Last edited by GATSU on Sat May 03, 2014 1:34 am; edited 1 time in total
speshy

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 1:33 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the support guys! I agree, all age groups are well represented with ideas like this. I will work hard to make my design even better!
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Animeigo just e-mailed me the following update on their BGC Kickstarter:

Quote:
The deadline for ordering the Ultimate Edition or upgrading from Basic to Premium is June 1st, 2014. June 1st is also the deadline for your name being included on the disc as a backer!

After that date, and until the sets are shipped, orders, upgrades and double-vision addons will go onto a waitlist. We will be making extra copies of the basic and premium sets to cover loss/damage issues during shipping, and after dealing these, we will attempt to fulfill waitlisted orders, giving preference to upgrades and addons over new orders.

If there are a few sets left over after handling the waitlist (and setting aside some copies to handle the inevitable “The dog ate my Blu-Ray!” problems), we will sell them off on our website at a higher price than the project backer price.

Repeatedly over the course of this project, the constant stream of new signups and upgrades has increased the budget, and permitted me to add new items. But once we hit the June 1st deadline, I have to make final budgeting and production quantity decisions.

A complicating factor is that post-deadline sales should help increase the budget, but I can't know for sure how many copies will be left after handling the loss/damage issues, how many will actually sell, or how long they will take to sell -- so there is a lot of uncertainty.

I am currently wrestling with the best way to handle this, but my current idea is to make a conservative estimate of the expected post-deadline income and recalculate the budget with that in mind. Hopefully that will be enough to fund a small upgrade or two -- for more on that, see below.

Project Status

In the several weeks since our last update, the teams working on the subtitles have made a great deal of progress; we are on track to get all the subtitles done by mid-May. Apart from the obvious coolness of having multiple subtitle tracks, all the extra eyes on the script have made lots of tiny improvements in the English version as well. Also, the last of the three Music Video Maestros visited Wilmington, and all of the work on HD reconstruction of the music videos has been completed.

In the next couple of weeks, the first authoring pass will get underway. While the subtitles won't be fully complete, it will allow us to check menu functionality and the video compression. At the same time, we'll be finishing up the packaging designs -- expect an update about them soon.

Also, misc. shit about packaging and if you want the BGC coin or AD Police keychain. Just go to the Kickstarter for the rest of the update.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Anime Sols has been dead quiet since the end of the last Dear Brother drive more than three weeks ago. They haven't streamed a single episode of anything (breaking their already-glacial schedule of one episode of Black Jack on the first Tuesday of the month) nor even posted a news item noting the success of that last drive.

What gives?
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel: To my knowledge, they're supposed to be getting the next sets ready. So maybe they're busy on those.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:33 pm Reply with quote
^No clue, but at least they are still responding on Twitter. They say that they're "resting" basically (as told in Monty Python references), so I'm expecting they'll be back at some point, hopefully soon (and with another Black Jack pledge drive this time)
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:47 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
^No clue, but at least they are still responding on Twitter. They say that they're "resting" basically (as told in Monty Python references), so I'm expecting they'll be back at some point, hopefully soon (and with another Black Jack pledge drive this time)

In that one Monty Python sketch the "resting" parrot was actually dead.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:

In that one Monty Python sketch the "resting" parrot was actually dead.

Yeah, actually, someone pointed out that that reference wasn't exactly reassuring in this case. But I think they're joking on that and wanted to make a Monty Python reference and they're still very much alive on Twitter.
F-Man

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:42 pm Reply with quote
On the other hand, if the project fell through, it makes sense to delay the announcement for as long as possible, otherwise overly anxious people would constantly fear that they're not gonna get their sets. Right now would be the most logical time to stop funding any new sets as well, as they just completed Creamy Mami and Dear Brother. Add to this that the most requested show available from Tatsunoko failed miserably, it wouldn't be surprising if Tatsunoko called it quits in turn making the entire operation fall through like a card castle.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 30