• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crowdsourcing - Anime/Manga/Merch.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I agree, but at least the delays weren't AL's fault.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:27 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
Yeah, I agree, but at least the delays weren't AL's fault.

Nothing wrong with delays, that's normal. I'm totally ok with Japan releasing a BD with the Kickstarter dub even if it comes before our release. It gives people who didn't do the Kickstarter and like imports something else to pick up. I'm all for more dubs especially for a movie like this one as I think it can get more casual viewers watching anime. I also personally don't mind waiting. I would be ok getting this release in the spring even. However, the poor communication and follow thru on display only served to irritate and antagonize project backers. People can easily loose their cool on the internet, but AL didn't help themselves. I was disappointed with how this turned out, but perhaps I got spoiled with Ann from Pied Piper and her anime Kickstarters. She knows how to keep people involved and excited even with the delays. I hope I can get excited again when I finally have this release, but I will just have to wait and see.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Animeigo posted status updates on their Riding Bean Kickstarter, with details on the progress made on their supplements as well as the Blu-Ray disc. They're also taking a survey for fans interested in paying for a limited edition OST. Plus, you can check out a sample of the original manga tie-in at the link.

As for other projects, Woodhead made a cryptic reply in response to a fan question on FB about another Riding Bean Kickstarter being set up in a few days? It could be a different anime KS, though, so don't get too excited.

Moving on, KOR omnibuses still being translated & edited. But the bookmarks are ready. And I didn't back KnJ, for some reason. So those who did can add any new updates of their own here.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:09 am Reply with quote
Speaking of KOR, Digital Manga wants your opinions on their sample towels. Because after all, it's very important to have the right texture when using it to slap your bro's ass in the locker room. Rolling Eyes
lem

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:10 pm Reply with quote
hey, it's only been a couple of years. better late than never right?
Mai Mai Miracle

Quote:

Kickstarter

September Update! It's Here
Posted by All the Anime (Creator)

Hi all,
We're officially kicking off Hell Month(TM) here at Anime Limited HQ - but we've got some news to update you all with, so instead of pleasantries I'm just going to go ahead and jump in with the news.
STATE OF THE PRODUCT
Last week we received images from our production house with CAD samples they have received. So it's really real now guys! For those of you not hip to the lingo, a CAD sample is a printed sample that comes in to a production house to check the design layout lines up properly once it's printed and on a box.
So we got some pictures in showing how it'll all be printed and it's all looking good! We signed off on it and it's all gone into proper production now. We are aiming to have stock delivered to the warehouse for the last week of October.
This is great news because that means it will be with our fulfilment house ready to go by early November! Two years later than planned, very true, but it'll be there and it'll be so pretty and shiny!
THE DUB
A lot of people have (understandably) taken issue with the fact that the Japanese release will now be coming out sooner than the Kickstarter version which was funded over 2 years ago - alongside the dub that was funded via said Kickstarter campaign.
As mentioned in the last update, we totally understand this and have said that we will get a digital version of the film WITH the dub out to Kickstarter backers 1 week before the Japanese release as a way to ensure you guys see this before anyone else.
We did request that the licensor to sign off and finalise approval on our packaging before supplying the dub assets at the time so that did help speed things up a bit. And while sign off did happen, print turnarounds on projects like this are quite long and it's not an immediate process. But I think it may be worth going over how dubs and the rights to dubs work / come about.
Normally, if a dub has to be funded by a licensee they own the rights to the dub until the cost of it has been recouped. At which point the rights revert to the licensor (since they own the property). Since the Kickstarter funded the dub in full from the beginning, we technically recouped the cost and the rights to the dub belong to the licensor.
So, if the licensor requests the dub to be included in their release it is their right to do so (again, as it is their property). And we are obligated to provide the dub upon request. Our way to make sure you all get that dub before anybody else in the world is to provide it digitally via the Kickstarter direct messaging system.
THE ARTBOOK
There was a minor issue with the artbook (image resolution and correction) which has set the book's publication back by a week or 2 after the final copies of Mai Mai Miracle are done and ready to go.
However, we will not be holding delivery of the film to wait on the artbooks being done. Instead, we will send out the artbooks separately (at our own expense) when they are available and ready to be shipped. We don't want to hold anyone back from receiving the final copy of the film they have so patiently waited for for so long.
We will post updates on the progress of the book as it moves along, but fear not... it will land on your doorsteps only a week or so after you receive your copy of the film.
DIGITAL REWARDS
Ah yes... well it seems I done messed up and sent out and expirable link for people to download their digital rewards. I'm well aware of this and on it - I'll be re-sending a proper NON-EXPIRING link with the digital rewards ASAP. So yeah.. no excuse there, I just plain used the wrong service. My bad there.
BACKER SURVEYS
I had hoped to get these out last week - but my week fell apart and I was staring down the barrel of a working weekend before I knew what hit me. These will be going out as soon as possible and we'll get this thing out the door as soon as possible. Again, not an excuse - just an explanation on this. Will get better I promise!
So, for next week:
Expect a new link that won't expire (I hope!) with all your digital rewards.
Backer surveys! YES! It is so nearly that time
An update on when you can expect your digital copy of the movie with the dub
Any other updates we may have by then! (Likely!)
Until then, stay groovy and have a good weekend.
- Team Anime Limited
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:24 pm Reply with quote
That's definitely encouraging, but I won't relax until I get notification that it's been shipped.
lem

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:46 pm Reply with quote
^then you probably won't get to relax until 2019 Very Happy Laughing
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Hah, I'll consider myself lucky if it's as "early" as 2019!
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:21 am Reply with quote
Mai Mai Miracle Backer Surveys are now live:

Quote:
I bet you guys thought you'd never live to see this day! Well it's true. Backer surveys are out!

There are a few things to note on the backer survey:

Some backers have indicated an interest in getting a copy of the artbook / an extra copy of the artbook - this is why I've included that question in the survey. If you're not interested, just select no

We need an idea of numbers / demand. We will have a minimum print run - and will need to hold off until all the original book backers receive their copies and we're sure there haven't been any damaged in transit. Once we're sure all is well and that there are units left, we'll let you know via an update or private message

We've left the option to change your address open - so the closer we get to the actual fulfilment date I will post an update asking people to ensure their address is correct and current

Please keep in mind: for some people it might be better to have their package delivered to work or elsewhere. Please choose your address carefully to avoid any potential delivery issue

Ideally - I'd like to have all backer surveys in by 21/10 so I can get an idea of the number of backers not in the UK / ROI. So the sooner you can answer the surveys, the better please Smile

Up Next:

Sorting a new link for digital rewards (this week)
Sorting an HD version of the film with the dub to send you guys via the KS PM system

Sorry for the short, sweet and to the point update - but I figured I'd let you all know what's up!

Thanks!

- Team Anime Limited
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Pic of the KOR pub glass.
lem

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:17 am Reply with quote
^Gatsu that gives a great view to those that have already seen it in their backer email and no one else...

AnimeSols also had one for Creamy Mami, this one's taller

@One-Eye How much are we betting that the addition of an additional choice for an art book will add some... er... ...additional waiting time? Very Happy

@Blood- Don't know if you did or not, but you're also lucky you didn't pitch in for "The Crater". Crying or Very sad
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:44 am Reply with quote
I passed on the KOR pub glass. I'm not sure what I'd use it for. The only things I ordered were the books themselves and the posters. The posters turned out to be mostly small prints. I just wish they would bring out the books already.

I have the complete Japanese hard back set of KOR that I was trying to read with a text translation I found online and I previously bought the electronic version from eManga. But I really just want a copy I can sit down and read.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:47 am Reply with quote

Quote:
But I really just want a copy I can sit down and read.

How quaint!*

*Couldn't help but add the links!
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Ok, so I got crappy news and better news. As many of you probably suspected, a certain negligent a-hole who was supposed to deliver on Tezuka's The Crater was actually a fraud. That's the downside. The upside is that Digital Manga and TezukaPro sort of finally broke down and listened to me about bailing out the damned thing in a future Kickstarter, where the books will sell for less than what you paid for them on that one.

Now, I've been talking to DMP directly to help smooth out any frustrations you have over this. And they're submitting my comments to the person in charge of these Tezuka crowdfunding campaigns, which are being taken very seriously. Obviously, the first thing you want is that guy's head on a platter. So I've confirmed that his ass is flagged, and I'm suggesting venues for where TezukaPro and DMP can seek relief over this guy's fraudulent behavior. [Though I'm not a lawyer, myself.] DMP's rep told me that KS tends to have a 'hands off' attitude in situations like this, which is why it's taken so long to resolve this at all.

And moving on, I've pushed for certain incentives to make it worth your while do this all over again. And, again, they're taking these ideas into strong consideration. So, first off. I bitched about the obvious limited availability of copies of those Japanese English editions of Kimba/Leo in their prior campaign. And they replied that they can only print a limited run which they believe will sell. But I believe you Tezuka fans really want Leo even more than The Crater, so I vouched for you that it will sell. So don't let me down, if they do go along with it.

Next, I've been bitching about this other issue for a while, too, which isn't Tezuka-related, but which is DMP-related. And they've promised to consider my idea for making one of the tiers a reprint of the expired volumes of Itazura na Kiss *and* the funding of the elusive final twelfth volume. And that's being submitted, too.

Finally, this is more of a charity deal. But KOR fans would really love to be able to send get-well cards to the creator, given his terrible health issues which ANN reported on recently. So DMP is looking into my suggestion for a third-party address where they can mail out their letters to the guy.

Now, out of principle, I'm not going to take any Kodomo no Jerkoff suggestions. So you got any grievances there, then you take it up with them on their own bleeping Kickstarter for that. But if anyone else wants to recommend other tiers that they'd like to see to soften the pain of having to pay for this manga again, then I'm up for it. Whatever's left of their Yaoi line, included, but no shota, please. Also, if they've chosen to publish their hentai manga a certain way, there's probably a reason for it. So I'm not going to push for limited tiers for whatever loli shit was axed in certain titles.That's your problem. This is for the PG-13 and respectable R stuff. So don't flood this thread bugging me about your creepy and pervy kinks, because I don't care, and I don't make the final call, anyway.

P.S. I just came up with the idea of making one of the tiers the funding of reprints of Metropolis, Lost World, and Next World. You're welcome.

Update: As usual, they're stalling on Kimba/Leo. And I'm seeing what I can do there. But they confirmed that Itazura Na Kiss 12 is still happening.

Update 2: Also, they had this to say about the KOR guy:

Quote:
for KOR sensei messages, you are free to instruct people to send us any letters and get well cards. if they wish to email (since he cant read anything on the computer screen due to his serious illness) we will go ahead and print those out and make them look all pretty as well
Digital Manga, Inc.

so like i said, please let anyone know that if they wish to send get well messages to KOR sensei, please email, or mail them to us and we will ensure that they get there.

Update 3: Again, this is not intended for discussion. But they're sending in the following links for your information:
Quote:
If you wish, here are some articles which further highlight kickstarters stance on project accountability https://www.kickstarter.com/blog/accountability-on-kickstarter?page=2

Also, a story tackling KS backer rights.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:06 am Reply with quote
lem wrote:
@One-Eye How much are we betting that the addition of an additional choice for an art book will add some... er... ...additional waiting time? Very Happy

Betting? Laughing Laughing Laughing That's like suggesting there's a possibility that it won't be delayed. Don't need precognition to know there maybe some... er...additional time tacked on. Smile

When I saw the message I was like, "yea, the book might be kinda nice to go with my CE set...No wait, screw that it'll probably take 2 more years to get that after Japan decides it wants to release its copy based on it first." Laughing Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 26 of 30