• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime in America: The Best (and Worst) of 2013

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sekireinumber88

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I just wanna throw in Bokura no Tsubasa as a great closing theme song, from Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai NEXT.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Gustave Archamp wrote:
Eighteen, think of it this way.

I really liked "Dude, Where's my Car?" I know it is a horrible movie, and anyone who watches it can agree with me that it is horrendous. Yet, I found myself terribly amused by it. I might feel markedly less intelligent every time that I watch it, and I get dirty looks whenever I tell people that I enjoy the movie. As a result, I take it as my guilty pleasure. I usually like series/movies that are more thought-provoking, better written, and consistent in quality. I appreciate how terrible this movie is, but I enjoy it nonetheless.

If you need an anime reference that you could use as a jump off point, "Mad Bull 23," is another of my guilty pleasures. Please don't watch it.

At the same time, if you enjoyed "Dude Wheres my Car?" over other movies that are higher rated, doesn't that mean you though it was better? Why does that make it bad? I just don't understand that mindset... If I enjoyed something, then its a good show or movie. If I didn't enjoy, then it wasn't good.. simple as that.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:01 pm Reply with quote
ARMS Studio really surprised me with Maoyuu. I mean, it was just so good at some points. I'm with Carl and Theron, the harem-aspect just ruined the show. Any romantic conflict involving Female Knight just felt forced, as did the repeated jokes about the Demon Lord's useless flesh.

It's a shame that the series performed so badly, because it deserved a second shot. The ending was a let-down, and what better than a second season to add some sort of conclusion to this series? I mean, right from the word "go", Demon Lord and Hero had great chemistry, even though they were barely ever together. C'mon, gimme some closure here!

I also agree with Theron and Carlos: the overly-long titles are stupid. Just another side-effect of basing so many anime off of light novels.

Yeah, I know Maoyuu was a novel, too. I'm still sick of the sight of those things.

Here's to a good year--and here's hoping Maoyuu comes out on DVD.
Leebo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:02 pm Reply with quote
The problem is when people use the words good and bad without specifying what they mean.

If you say "I liked it but it wasn't good" then they're just gonna say "liking something means it's good" even though you weren't talking about its entertainment value in the "wasn't good" portion of the sentence.

They're hearing "it was good but it wasn't good" when you say that.
Gustave Archamp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:08 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

At the same time, if you enjoyed "Dude Wheres my Car?" over other movies that are higher rated, doesn't that mean you liked it more? Why does that make it bad? I just don't understand that mindset... If I enjoyed something, then its a good show or movie. If I didn't enjoy, then it wasn't good.. simple as that.

I see your point, but I see liking something and its' quality to be two separate entities. If we could say that my favourite piece of media of all time happens to be a flip book animation of a bird flying as an example, I could honestly say that it is "good" in the sense that I enjoy it a lot. From a purely technical aspect, it is rudimentary. From a story telling aspect, it offers nothing. As such, we can say that there is nothing good from a more universally acceptable standard about what I think is good.

I think that is what we try to say by guilty pleasures. We enjoy the pieces themselves, but if you take a step back from the actual piece and take apart its' merits, be they story or visuals, we can see that there are some serious issues with the piece itself and it is not something that could be looked at as amazing.

Enjoying something personally and the quality of the piece's execution are two different things. By no means mutually exclusive, but still different thing.

But, I really don't think that the validity of categorizations are really what is important here... Sorry I beat a dead horse here. Laughing
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:08 pm Reply with quote
2013 was a pretty average anime year for me. Nothing particularity stood out and at the same time nothing really disappointed me either. We got a few shows I enjoyed greatly such as Psycho Pass and Kuroko no Basket Season 2, and there were some shows that I thought would suck but turned out to be decent (Free!). We also got dub releases of a few shows I liked such as Guilty Crown and Another---so its a pretty decent year, nothing special but not the worst either.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:16 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I actually have a humble suggestion. Why don't you have 2 awards for series of the year. One award could be given to the (legally) simulcasted anime series of the year. The other award can be given to the best retail release of a series (you could also combine this award with the Best DVD/Blu-Ray Feature or Extra.

Not a bad idea. We will take it under consideration for next year.

dtm42 wrote:
Funny how Theron gets the idea about Attack on Titan being the most popular show this year yet not the best and not living up to its entertainment value, but cannot wrap his head around Sword Art Online's quality being less than its popularity and not living up to its entertainment value.

Or, you know, you could actually pay attention to my reviews where I give it far less than stellar writing grades (distinctly lower than AoT). In fact, I had fairly similar things to say about both but I didn't want to bring up the comparison for the very reason of comments like this being made.

Seriously, drop it. You're trolling with comments like that at this point.

Concerning a couple of other things:

*To my knowledge Space Battleship Yamato 2199 is not legally available yet in the States. Apparently a dubbed episode debuted at one of the summer 'cons, but that does not count as "wide distribution."

*Frankly, if you cannot understand how some people (especially professional critics!) can differentiate between entertainment value and quality then you're just going to have to accept that some people see the world differently. Good in an entertainment sense is NOT the same as good in a qualitative sense.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
spoony

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:22 pm Reply with quote
You guys are actually being a lot more generous than me this year. I thought all of Oreimo 2 was uncomfortable and a horrible tease--and I didn't even watch the OVAs (but I can guess what happened.) I was also surprised to see Kotoura-san get so much attention, since it was so uneven (jumped between drama and romantic comedy depending on the episode) and, imo, quite sexist. All that flagrant fantasizing about Kotoura while she was clearly uncomfortable with it was not funny and not OK (and that's not even getting into the part with the perverted grandpa. wtf?). Yeah, yeah, "It's just a show" and "They do things different in Japan." Whatever. That kind of sexism is a series-killer for me.

My top picks: Gragantia on the Verdurous Planet, The Eccentric Family, and yes, Attack on Titan. AoT wasn't perfect but it definitely had me hooked.

I agree that Penguindrum and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 were excellent shows, but I watched those before 2013 so they don't count for me.

Was Chihayafuru 2 not eligible? I am surprised not to see it anywhere on the list!

I'm going to bump up Flowers of Evil and Watamote on my to-watch list. Both sound delightfully disturbing.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Gustave Archamp wrote:
Enjoying something personally and the quality of the piece's execution are two different things. By no means mutually exclusive, but still different thing.

I get your explanation, but I still think it fundamentally comes down to peoples pride and what they want people to perceive them as. They don't want people to think their taste is "Bad", so if they do like shows that others don't like, they'll just say "Oh yeah, its still a bad show" instead of just truthfully admitting they think its good. While saying you like critically acclaimed shows makes people think you have more refined tastes. I mean, it would explain why shows like SAO rate incredibly high but you barely ever find anyone who would admit they like it.

Personally, I could care less what others think of my opinions so I don't differentiate. If I liked it I'll say its good even if others don't like it.
ZodiacBeast

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the comments about what I've seen and I guess at some point I'll have to check out what I haven't.

Part of Neptunia's problem was trying to tie together three games worth of material into 12 episodes. The games are pretty fun but I guess that doesn't mean it would translate well onto the screen.

...ugh, licking.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:28 pm Reply with quote
It isn't a difficult thing to understand RyanSaotome; subjective entertainment value is not the same as objective writing quality and technical merits. Just because something entertains you does not automatically make it good, just like something being good doesn't automatically make it entertaining.

I hate Flowers of Evil yet I can see how well it is put together. On the other side of the coin I liked Dragonball Z despite how crappily written it is.
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It isn't a difficult thing to understand RyanSaotome; subjective entertainment value is not the same as objective writing quality and technical merits. Just because something entertains you does not automatically make it good, just like something being good doesn't automatically make it entertaining.

If you find something entertaining,you find entertaining because that something posses elements that entertain you.That piece of art has achieved it's goal(which is to entertain you),thus that makes it good.At least that is the way I think about it.
Quote:
On the other side of the coin I liked Dragonball Z despite how crappily written it is.

Well maybe Dragonball Z is badly written,but maybe it also has,good direction,choreography,voice acting,energy,character designs,bla bla bla.And because of these elements it is entertaining you.
Humans are irrational creatures,but I find it hard to believe that we can like a piece of art for no reason at all.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote
2013 was a interesting year for anime, nice lookback article BTW.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Theron: I don't usually feel qualified to do Japanese awards, while Carl doesn't feel qualified to do English awards, so for the most part we're each doing our respective specialty only.

I'm not too sure about that; Rozie Curtis is Agiri in Kill Me Baby! and Jessica Boone's the female narrator. It's not just a "well, maybe..." situation, they don't even sound alike.

[EDIT: This error has since been corrected. - Key]
FMAvatard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote
While I honestly hated the Corpse Party OVA's, I can really appreciate the direction they took with it in regards to the game (one of my favorites). spoiler[It was actually clever to just change the story completely; not only did it save time/budget, but it was something fresh. There are some people who cried BS about it being a 'bad' adaptation, but no one really wants to see the same exact thing twice over, right?]

I don't think I'd want it to be licensed, though. The fanservice was through the roof, spoiler[particularly Mayu's death. It was so uncomfortable and upsetting for their to be a very detailed panty shot as she's literally being grazed to death on the floor and then thrown into the wall so hard she explodes.]

Maybe Media Blasters will get it though. Eh. It's not really something I'd want to own.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10