• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime in America: The Best (and Worst) of 2013

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:42 am Reply with quote
I like long titles! They're creative and so much fun to play around with, and I actually find them distinctive and easy to remember (once they're translated). On that note, Problem Children are Coming From Another World, Aren't They?--there are only 2 things I can remember about this show, its title and the cutesy chibi dancing animation during its ED. Also it's overpowered male lead, so that's three things.

My Highschool Romantic Comedy is as Wrong as Expected is a great title (and tweet), too. I also loved Hachiman's VA's performance. The character was immediately appealing, brimming with the snarky humor I love. Once things started becoming heartwarming and less funny the show became boring, and I still haven't watched the last 4 or so eps. It's sitting on my Crunchyroll queue, annoying me. Is it worth it?

Another show I've been meaning to finish is Flowers of Evil. I actually love the rotoscoping, but the slow pace and melancholy/tortuous look into the teenage boy's psyche makes it very hard to watch. It doesn't have the humor of Watamote to take the edge off every cringingly painful moment. I understand that there's some relief, particularly in ep 7, but I'm trying to avoid spoilers. Can someone give me a general outline so I know what to look forward too? Man, People complain about Watamote, but Flowers of Evil is really hard to watch.
Zephuros

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:43 am Reply with quote
Coppelion... and all other anime, please don't judge it unless you've watched the whole of it. Well even if it does suck because of its horrible adaptation, I really hate it when people give opinion on something in which they didn't stay and read or watch it till the end, or at least until they grasp a better view of the story.

such a bad review+reasons... sigh.. in the end it just goes to personal preferences..
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Zephuros wrote:
Coppelion... and all other anime, please don't judge it unless you've watched the whole of it. Well even if it does suck because of its horrible adaptation, I really hate it when people give opinion on something in which they didn't stay and read or watch it till the end, or at least until they grasp a better view of the story.

such a bad review+reasons... sigh.. in the end it just goes to personal preferences..

Coppelion was terrible

Enormously entertaining, but terrible.
nhat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:37 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
My top 5 anime in no order:

Little Busters ~Refrain~: Not a perfect adaption, but Refrain is my favorite ever story in the medium so just seeing it adapted to anime was more then enough to be one of if not my favorite anime of the year. I couldn't stop crying for the last few episodes especially.

You think J.C.Staff did a good job adapting LB?
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote
EighteenSky wrote:
[...]
You said the movie was horrible, you say you know this but contradict yourself by saying you liked it. Horrible is by definition something unpleasant, appalling. That I don't understand. If you were amused by it then it's done something right, if you liked certain aspects but hated others then fine. But to say you liked it means it had more good points than bad.
[...]

I think that what the whole debate boils down to is what you enjoy and what you think that most others will enjoy vs. what you enjoy but will not recommend to others. At least, that's my take on the debate. Others might disagree with my opinion.
Running Wild

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:17 pm Reply with quote
The new Ippo anime was the only good anime for me this year.

Then again I only watch 1 or 2 anime each year, otherwise it's all old stuff on my backlog.

Or One Piece. >_>
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:21 pm Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
My top 5 anime in no order:

Little Busters ~Refrain~: Not a perfect adaption, but Refrain is my favorite ever story in the medium so just seeing it adapted to anime was more then enough to be one of if not my favorite anime of the year. I couldn't stop crying for the last few episodes especially.

You think J.C.Staff did a good job adapting LB?

Not as good of a job as someone else might have, but the source material is so good that even a lesser adaption will still be better then most other shows out there.

nbahn wrote:
EighteenSky wrote:
[...]
You said the movie was horrible, you say you know this but contradict yourself by saying you liked it. Horrible is by definition something unpleasant, appalling. That I don't understand. If you were amused by it then it's done something right, if you liked certain aspects but hated others then fine. But to say you liked it means it had more good points than bad.
[...]

I think that what the whole debate boils down to is what you enjoy and what you think that most others will enjoy vs. what you enjoy but will not recommend to others. At least, that's my take on the debate. Others might disagree with my opinion.

So basically, if you like cute girl shows which wouldn't have a large audience to recommend it to, you'd have to admit to yourself they are "Bad" even if you really like them? Idolm@ster is one of my favorite shows of the last couple years and I think it was made perfectly, but I won't say its bad simply because its audience is limited.
0utf0xZer0

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:43 pm Reply with quote
While I'm not surprised to see Sakurasou included as worst concept, I was disappointed to see the concept boiled down to "a romantic comedy about a girl who is essentially a voluptuous and talented infant" and left at that. I recall the series implying very early on that Mashiro is more than that, then going on to demonstrate it.

So in my opinion, Sakurasou is essentially a case of false title/premise. I've seen it argued this was intended to bait and switch otaku who are into that kind of thing. Which may have entered the authors mind, but personally I'm partial to the idea that the title and premise were intended to be factitious and the intention was for the target audience to see through them. If only because I easily saw right through it.

(Though to be fair, my intuition isn't always right on these things. I also thought Ore no Imouto's title was facetitious and then I had to sit through that dreadful finale arc.)
rydia251

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Post removed due to offensive and insulting material and direct attacks towards users/staff.

PrecisionCrab, et al, is that you?
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Good lord. Who has the time to dedicate to making such LONG, vile ranting posts which will undeniably get said person banned from the site? Don't these people have jobs? I mean, I spend a decent amount of time commenting on the site but I try to make my time worth it at least. What does this guy do for a living that allows him to waste precious time in such a blowharded manner?
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:29 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Good lord. Who has the time to dedicate to making such LONG, vile ranting posts which will undeniably get said person banned from the site? Don't these people have jobs? I mean, I spend a decent amount of time commenting on the site but I try to make my time worth it at least. What does this guy do for a living that allows him to waste precious time in such a blowharded manner?
Agreed.

I will agree with something the guy wrote though:
Quote:
TL;DR
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Once things started becoming heartwarming and less funny the show became boring, and I still haven't watched the last 4 or so eps. It's sitting on my Crunchyroll queue, annoying me. Is it worth it?

I think the last few episodes were the best of the lot, and they weren't all heartwarming; Hachiman is spoiler[hated by most of the students] at the end of the show. That said though, there is one notable heartwarming scene: spoiler[he stands up for Yukino and she actually smiles at him.] Holy moly. And the last episode and the OVA are both pure comedy episodes so there's still plenty of laughs to be had if that's your thing.

In other words, yes, it is worth finishing the show.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:47 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
[...]
So basically, if you like cute girl shows which wouldn't have a large audience to recommend it to, you'd have to admit to yourself they are "Bad" even if you really like them? Idolm@ster is one of my favorite shows of the last couple years and I think it was made perfectly, but I won't say its bad simply because its audience is limited.

I believe that when it comes to entertainment that that everything is subjective; nothing is objective. Everything else is hot air. That's just my opinion, of course.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:55 pm Reply with quote
He seems to have given up PM'ing people these rants.
rydia251

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
He seems to have given up PM'ing people these rants.

Careful, you might jinx it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10