• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2014 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dop.L

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Interestingly, the Japanese ED has what is probably a reference to Hugh Everett III and his many-worlds interpretation of quantum physics.

So my guess is there'll be a parallel universe thing going on. Maybe the show isn't as dumb as it looks?
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:18 pm Reply with quote
From what I saw of the original post vs. the rebuttal to it, the Space Dandy animator saying the dub made an iffy choice was right. He didn't say it was bad in that post, by the way, he said the dub was perfectly fine apart from some liberties that ruin a joke/foreshadowing for future episodes, and in the one specific case he mentioned, I agree, it was a poor choice, and frankly less funny. Since there's a lot of stuff going around that seems to miss the point of his complaint or call it purely nitpicking, here's the short version.

The scene (Japanese): Originally, Dandy tells the Boobies waitress to guess his occupation "Uchuujin Hunter," and tells her it starts with an "U." She says "Ujimushi!" which means maggot. Dandy, unphased, tells her that "maggot" does start with "u" but is not really a viable occupation.

The implication (Japanese): The waitress is coyly insulting him without letting her "I'm a bubbly dummy here to serve you" facade down. The animator mentioned in his tumblr post that the Boobies waitresses actually being very smart women doing a dumb job to get by is an important plot point for later. Dandy thinks the waitress is just stupid. She is actually insulting him.

The scene (English): Dandy tells the waitress that his job begins with an "A." She says "Asteroid belt?" Rolling Eyes

The implication (English): She really is a total dummy, and is not coyly insulting him in any way because "asteroid belt" does not mean anything ironic nor is it particularly funny on its own, in the words of the animator's tumblr post.

To keep the original intent of the line, they could have gone with "asshole" or some other demeaning something that starts with "A."

That makes sense, I hope? The dub is otherwise fine, but that's a good example of pointless liberties potentially taken in places that miss the point of the original joke.

Last edited by JacobC on Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:22 pm Reply with quote
To me it just seems like the worst kind of nitpicking and will have absolutely no effect on the show in the future.
Leebo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:22 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
To me it just seems like the worst kind of nitpicking and will have absolutely no effect on the show in the future.

It depends how important that aspect is to Honey's character development.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:

It's not significant enough to affect the show heavily in the future, no. It is technically a nitpick. But it's also one of those things that sucks to see because it's evidence that the dub writers in this case "didn't get it" even one episode in, so what does that imply about the dozen or so to follow? It's not a big deal or anything, it's just kinda annoying and portends more of this sorta thing in the future.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:29 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
everydaygamer wrote:

It's not significant enough to affect the show heavily in the future, no. It is technically a nitpick. But it's also one of those things that sucks to see because it's evidence that the dub writers in this case "didn't get it" even one episode in, so what does that imply about the dozen or so to follow? It's not a big deal or anything, it's just kinda annoying and portends more of this sorta thing in the future.

Thats what I'm most worried about and why I'll just stick with the sub in the future. Whats weird though is that Funis sub does have the maggot translation, so why wouldn't they be using the same scripts for both?
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:
everydaygamer wrote:

Thats what I'm most worried about and why I'll just stick with the sub in the future. Whats weird though is that Funis sub does have the maggot translation, so why wouldn't they be using the same scripts for both?

Because they would have had to completely change the dialog to make the joke work in English and it doesn't make sense to do that for a line that prolly won't make a difference in the long run.

Honestly if that guy hadn't said anything no one would be making such a big fuss about it.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:45 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:
everydaygamer wrote:

Because they would have had to completely change the dialog to make the joke work in English and it doesn't make sense to do that for a line that prolly won't make a difference in the long run.

Honestly if that guy hadn't said anything no one would be making such a big fuss about it.

For the letter "A", she could have easily of said something like "Asshat" or "Ass Hunter" and it would still get the same message across that she's not a dumb blonde but has a sarcastic nature too

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Leebo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:46 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:

So, if she had called him an asshat instead of an asteroid belt, or something like that, you wouldn't have had a different impression?
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
From the ImoChou review
Quote:
only when her mother remarries. Incest: avoided. Heck, that situation wouldn't even trigger our evolved incest-avoidance mechanisms (as the strangers-raised-as-siblings situation would).

Nope, I'm going to disagree with you there, as someone who does have a brother and step-brother the idea of having sex with either of them is equally disgusting, bleeeeeguurrrhhhwhydidIevengothereeeee.

Getting back to the shows I've actually seen (minus NoFool, the first episode was an interesting mess and I really don't want to say anything until I've seen at least one more episode);
RyanSaotome wrote:

Well, if you just say it out loud, "ujimushi" has a lot more syllables than what the subs went with, "ass" so I'd imagine that played a role in it, for me just looking at Watanabe's other shows (and the writers for the rest of the episodes) was enough of a tip-off that Honey probably wasn't going to be as dumb as you'd think. I enjoyed the show myself, not an "oh boy I can't wait for next week!" sort of thing but i'm certainly going to be tuning in on Saturday nights for the next 12 or so weeks.

I was rather surprised but I actually liked Noragami way more than I expected, when I tried the first chapter of the manga it just didn't hit the right notes for me and then they more or less cut that chapter out anyway, hurray! And I really love the design work there, there's something about the way the color scheme and the line art works together but I really like the overall effect, wonder how many of the staff also worked on Blast of Tempest since it reminds me of that a little bit.

And I also liked The Pilot's Love Song, it's odd but I like how Kal-el is a bratty teen (well, having character is better than being bland after all) and I think the setting is pretty neat, although I've already seen the movie so that's certainly influencing me as well. I'm a bit cautious since it sounds like they plan to adapt five novels into only 13 episodes but the pacing in this first episode seemed fine at least, crossing my fingers that it only gets better!
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
For the letter "A", she could have easily of said something like "Asshat" or "Ass Hunter" and it would still get the same message across that she's not a dumb blonde but has a sarcastic nature too

My friend thought it was going to be ass-chaser. I think that would have worked great in a double contextual way (he chases aliens' asses for bounty or just booty in general). XD

Personally couldn't care less about what some staff member says. Big whoop.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Watches "My Sister is Unusual". (Watches Yuri scene.)

That wasn't graphic,hot, nor repugnant. That was just...awkward.

As for the anime itself. Don't know what to make of it. Does it wanna be an Siscest?Supernatural Yuri comedy?Family Drama? What?

I don't even think the anime itself knows what it wants to be, yet.

First Episode gets a 2 out of 5. I'll keep watching it with the hope that there's no dumbass twist to whyspoiler[ Hiyori The Obake keeps sexually abusing Mitsuki while pining for her stepbrother.]
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote
With regards to Space Dandy, it probably has more to due with the difficulties of having MANY scenes of dialogue to translate and where some jokes are supposed to mean more than just some sort of moment to give the audience a brief smirk and are additionally hints of foreshadowing.

The individual incident of itself can be hand waved as all the characters will more than likely be developed as the need arrives, but the bigger issue is that there are no doubt more than a few other "small jokes" that are also hints of things to come that are losing there way during the language translation and that would be the real issue (assuming that is the type of show Space Dandy is planned out to be).
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I think it really is the whole syllable issue, as I've heard of that being an issue with translations before. Basically they needed a line with the same number of syllables and that's what they ended up with.
Leebo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:10 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
I think it really is the whole syllable issue, as I've heard of that being an issue with translations before. Basically they needed a line with the same number of syllables and that's what they ended up with.

That's a lame excuse since you could just have her say, something like "um, an asshat?" and that's the same number of syllables as "asteroid belt".

Really not that hard to play around with the available lip flaps.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 47