• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kyousogiga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:21 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Since I did not see the Dainidan series, I would be interested to hear other opinions on the matter raised by jymmy from other people who have seen both the ONAs and the TV series.

episode 0 is the original ONA with 1 minute of extra footage basicly,
the Dainidan series (the 6 ovas) are all incorporated into episodes 2-6 of the tv series so really all you have to watch is the TV series and you will actually get the full experience.

That said it was very nice to see the series come about the way it did with the original ona and then the sequel ona series and then the full on tv series.

Personally I agree the series can have a pacing problem, but I really don't think the ending is where is a real problem, but the middle where it starts repeating itself to much. and it focuses on some characters (the lab members) to much and others not enough (the ?girlfriend?)

But it is easily one of if not the best anime of 2013. I was also really shocked that the episode 5.5 actually did add a layer of depth to the show, since I would not had know all the significant japanese cultural references that the series makes through out its run.

I really hope NIS or funimation license the series, Also please for the love of the lord give this lady another thing to direct and have her replace chiaki kon already, because she actually has a lot of talent!

Last edited by Tanteikingdomkey on Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:36 am; edited 2 times in total
Nayu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:22 am Reply with quote
tootbrush wrote:
Redcrimson wrote:
Somebody, anybody, get Matsumoto away from Precure storyboards and give her another project to helm! You're squandering a lot of talent, Toei.

... She hasn't worked on Precure since the Heartcatch movie. The two SSO episodes aside (which are basically the best episodes of the show), Kyousougiga is all she's worked on since then.

Also, talented people tend to leave Toei eventually.

And let's be honest, Precure is like a gold mine for Toei. It isn't squandering resources to use them where they will actually make you money.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:37 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Since I did not see the Dainidan series, I would be interested to hear other opinions on the matter raised by jymmy from other people who have seen both the ONAs and the TV series.

My reasoning about watching the ONAs is much the same as watching episode 0: It offers small, tantalizing glimpses into what the TV series eventually expands upon. Some might say that watching the first half of the series after Dainidan is akin to just watching the same story twice, but I found it remarkable how the TV series expanded and re-contextualized a lot of things in the ONA.

The biggest moment I can think of is the story concerning Yase's lost cup, which I'll put under spoilers for the sake of those who haven't seen Dainidan and don't want details: spoiler[In the ONA it's mostly just a comedic piece. We see people tossing out the things they don't need, the whole process is explained, and we see the little demon creature toss out Yase's tea set - cut to Yase losing her cool and destroying the mansion, cue credits. Meanwhile the TV series completely reframes that entire segment and makes it heartbreaking.]
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:44 am Reply with quote
Definitely the most overlooked show of last season. It would be a miracle if someone licensed this but i would praise their name to the sun if such a company did.

I'll admit the story does get a little confusing during the info dump in the second half and honestly some character motivations aren't properly explained as well. The thing this show has that many don't have is presentation. The character interactions feel natural and wacky. Setting feels so very surreal and enticing. And good lord does the OST bring everything full circle. Easily one of my favorite soundtracks of 2013. "City of Eternity" has to be the one of the most emotional and uplifting tracks I've heard in a while. It's almost as if you were ascending to heaven on a cloud of awesomeness.

Of course the best thing about the show is the strong sense of love for ones family. The Eccentric Family did this as well which is why i also loved it. It's one of the few topics that anime covers that really hits closer to home for me than any other. Makes you just want to give your parents a big hug.

Oddly enough i watched episode 10.5 and still enjoyed it even though it was purely a recap. Probably because it highlights the best moments of the series all in one go.

I'll always unconditionally love this series and it would do my heart great justice to see it stateside Crying or Very sad
tootbrush

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:36 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I have no idea of what Saint Seiya Omega you're watching, because for the one I am watching, I'd take (almost) any episode from the second season (the Pallas arc) over the entirety of the first season (to which Matsumoto's two episodes belong).

Logic dictates that since I was talking about Matsumoto, I was talking about those episodes on a technical level. The direction and storyboard in them are superior to every other SSO episode.

Content-wise I don't care about either half of the show.
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:42 am Reply with quote
Count me as another one who this slipped by. I'll definitely check it out now.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:15 am Reply with quote
If someone licenses this show, I hope they somehow license the soundtrack, too. It is spectacular and a perfect compliment to the show.

Kyousogiga presented its themes of family, love, responsibility and the will to live so poignantly. I'd love to get into the creators' minds and find out what their inspirations were. I'd also like to see more from them--maybe even more relating to this series (an ova that expounds on Myoue Jr's girlfriend would be nice). I still haven't seen eps 5.5 and 10.5, though. Do they really get into the creators' heads, or do they just focus on basic symbolism and putting together ideas?
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:06 pm Reply with quote
So I'm inclined to check this out but I'm at a loss as to where it can legally be watched.

Did ANN go and start reviewing shows that are "dark" for those of us without access to Japanese TV?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
So I'm inclined to check this out but I'm at a loss as to where it can legally be watched.

Did ANN go and start reviewing shows that are "dark" for those of us without access to Japanese TV?

It's on Crunchyroll.

Did you even bother to check there?
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Echo_City wrote:

It's on Crunchyroll.

Did you even bother to check there?

Thanks for the tip. I figured it had to be around somewhere and the best way to find it was to embarrass myself by asking.

For the record, I did put "Kyousogiga" into the search box at Crunchroll and it gave me no videos, no results of any kind. When I then went to the alphabetical list found at "Shows->Anime->Seasons->Fall 2013" it appeared. How'd ANN get the Crunchyroll search function to sabotage me? Laughing Rolling Eyes

This gives no results:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/search?q=Kyousogiga
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I figured that the show went under the radar because no one knew it was on Crunchyroll. They got the show a couple of weeks after the fall season started, after two eps had aired. I think only one or two critics reviewed it on ANN preview guide because it wasn't legally streaming. Add to that the strange title and the myriad ways to spell it, and it's hard to find.

ANN spelled it "Kyousogiga" Crunchyroll spells it "Kyousougiga".
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:45 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I figured that the show went under the radar because no one knew it was on Crunchyroll. They got the show a couple of weeks after the fall season started, after two eps had aired. I think only one or two critics reviewed it on ANN preview guide because it wasn't legally streaming. Add to that the strange title and the myriad ways to spell it, and it's hard to find.

Hard to find things on MAL also, if you don't have the exact correct spelling.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

"What we've got here is Failure to Communicate"

At least now I know how I wound up with the impression that this show wasn't legally streaming and why I didn't add it to my "check this show out" list when the season started. Thanks for pointing that out. It's hard enough to find the few shows that are "diamonds in the rough", assuming this show actually is one (IMO) it really doesn't need to make itself harder to find Wink
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I watched both, actually I rewatched the ONAs recently so I could write up some posts comparing exactly what was kept and what was cut from each ONA and really I don't think you need to watch them anymore. Yes it's cool to see all the tantalizing little bits of story before they come together, yes it's interesting from a writing standpoint to see how the inclusion of just a few different scenes could completely change the tone of each episode (Lossthief already brought up the biggest one) but since Dainidan is an incomplete story and the tv series isn't I just don't see any reason to recommend people watch them first.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for reviewing this. Liking it so far, super charming without being manipulative. The first episode feels like a fairy tale.

It's almost too sentimental but the fact that the happiness stems from the world being artificial prevents it from going over the edge.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4