• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Mangaka Suggests Kill la Kill May Be Plagiarized

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:04 pm Reply with quote
"... he claimed to have "PTSD-like symptoms"..."

Really? Really, buddy?
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:12 pm Reply with quote
But don't all anime plagiarize each other? Seriously though, given how many shows use the same dozen tropes &/or character designs over & over. Calling some one a copycat doesn't really amount to much. Although I'll admit KLK & the other guys designs are somewhat more creative then the average stuff. Still though, debatable weather or not content was consciously plagiarized.
paperbox

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:19 pm Reply with quote
i don't care. its good, and well-made, who cares. even one of the authors said so.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
But don't all anime plagiarize each other? Seriously though, given how many shows use the same dozen tropes &/or character designs over & over. Calling some one a copycat doesn't really amount to much. Although I'll admit KLK & the other guys designs are somewhat more creative then the average stuff. Still though, debatable weather or not content was consciously plagiarized.

Useage of the same pool of tropes is not plagiarism. Wholly lifting the same concept and appearance of a work without proper citing is.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Oh PLEASE! The basic story in KLK can be found in hundreds of other series, not just one. And even if it is, who cares? It's not a crime unless it infringes on someones copyright. As long as it's good, I couldn't care less if it copied someone.
dan9999

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Utter BS.

But if we can use this to dispose to the garbage all those moe, harem fanservice and imouto anime that have the same plot and heck even characters that cannot be differentiated then lets go ahead with this BS Laughing
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:38 pm Reply with quote
TBH, Kill La Kill is fairly unoriginal to begin with, which is why I shut it out pretty fast. But it is nice that Japanese creators are becoming more assertive about their IPs lately.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:39 pm Reply with quote
paperbox wrote:

i don't care. its good, and well-made, who cares. even one of the authors said so.

We should remember this next time Hollywood copies something we like. Laughing
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:43 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
paperbox wrote:

We should remember this next time Hollywood copies something we like. Laughing

or China. Let's not forget China. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zatheyll

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote
There is absolutely no such thing as uniqueness. Everything is a copy of something, just at varying levels. Everything follows the original story methods. Even Lord of the Rings copied from folk tales and myths.

The entire concept of calling something a copy when it has a similar story is utterly ridiculous on a fundamental level.

Plagiarism is, as Daisuke Ihara says in the post, when someone copies word for word or traces over the art. NOT when someone follows a similar story concept.

A concept like Kill la Kill isn't even that hard to think of to begin with. "Let's just have a girl looking for revenge except it'll be against an entire crazy school and have it as crazy as possible."

I bet with a bit of research you could find a multitude of work that Gakuen copied to make it's story. Everyone copies something when creating work, and most of the time it isn't even on purpose. Having seen the art/story before influences your thought process and you inadvertently create something that can be seen as similar. It's completely normal.

It's sad how this is even an issue.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Anyone who keeps spreading the lie about how "nothing's original" has clearly ignored Shia LaBeouf's recent meltdown.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:10 pm Reply with quote
lol. Overrated anime filled with countless cliche and tropes is plagiarized? I wouldnt doubt it but I'm too lazy to read his manga to really say...but KnK isnt that great anyway. I feel for him if it's true
Sango chan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:24 pm Reply with quote
like other poeple said, there are a bunch of anime that follows the some of the same concept.

There is one series I don't full remember the name, but it was Haruka something that almost took the same concept as Fushigi Yuugi with the Four gods, a Preistess of one of the four gods and also Had 8 warriors that protected the preistess, instead of 7. if I remeber correctly, I think the person also fell into that world through a well which takes her into the past. This takes that concept from Inuyasha when Kagome fell into a well and was brought to the Past where Inuyasha lived.

Hell there are cartoons that have plots in America that have the some of the same Idea's .

I'm gonna be annoyed if they cancel Kill la kill cause of this crap. I get a kick out of this show. I also like the action and the comedy of it.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:29 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:

But if we can use this to dispose to the garbage all those moe, harem fanservice and imouto anime that have the same plot and heck even characters that cannot be differentiated then lets go ahead with this BS Laughing
I'm with you there.

Well, I do kinda like a few harem fanservice shows (the diamonds in the rough), but other than those few, I'm in favor of this. 83%? lol
kamui85

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:39 pm Reply with quote
everyone beat me to it... Kill la kill even reminds me of utena, with the french military uniforms, tomboy main character and her getting to the top through duels...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5