• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hōzuki's Coolheadedness (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:17 am Reply with quote

Clothes and outfits are the theme linking the two halves together. This week's new cast member is the author's take at deconstructing the traditional stereotypes about magical girls and witches, but it's far more fun watching Hoozuki slag off Hakutaku every chance he gets.

When it comes to outfits, it's sometimes impossible to run away from stereotypes based on external appearances. For the twins, this goes double because of their intrinsic natures. As far as I'm concerned, I get to roll my eyes at the number of corny puns based on real world franchises.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:22 am Reply with quote

Viewers not well-versed with Dakini will get their fill of information and more this week. She's been mentioned in passing since the second season but only makes her formal bow in this week's episode. As mentioned in previous episodes, Japanese mythology likes doing things in pairs so the author has gone to great lengths (with research) to explain why a predator of humans now works under Hoozuki's supervision together with Kasha.

I don't know if it's because she's getting animated this week, but I don't remember the original Dakini showing that much skin in the original material. There's no doubt she's attractive and draws a disproportionate number of masochistic Oni into her department though.

Second half is a nod to the running goldfish flower joke that's been around since the first season. While they're at it, it's a refresher into some of the flora found in Japanese Hell and its incredible utility as a punishment tool. Some of the more exotic plants from the mundane world get their cameo too, most obvious being oversized pitcher plants and a slightly smaller variant of the Rafflesia.

More character introductions next week. I'm especially looking forward to the second half since that episode is one of the best in recent volumes.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:36 pm Reply with quote

The full-length stories always give the best laughs, so I'm glad they chose the Yashahime arc for this season's first full-length episode. Like the Chun equivalent from last season, this one is effectively unmissable because there's so much for fans to laugh over. It's even funnier when the audience remembers the background between the two protagonists for this week and why they're in the same environment as Hoozuki.

The only thing I'm disappointed about was the failure to give viewers a sneak peek into Taira Masakado's appearance. There's a good reason why the police are so terrified of him that they are forced to shut the bamboo screen before he answers his daughter's call. Knowing his background helps answer that question as well.

Because of the manga artist's background in Japanese art history, she's capable of digging out otherwise obscure Japanese folklore paintings and giving them a new lease of life in her ongoing series. Outside of the painting quoted this week, very little of Yashahime (Taira Takiyasha) outside of her occult legend is well-known.

I'll bet if someone tried the same spell Taira Takiyasha used when she was alive, they'd summon Hoozuki again. The final scene when he returns to his office is one of the reasons why he has the highest grudge level of all of his kind.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I found this past episode kind of boring. It just felt like there was not much there. I found the tengu kind of interesting, although their boss was uninteresting, while I found the new girl interesting, her skeletons were totally uninteresting.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:16 am Reply with quote
Yeah, last week wasn't as great, but this week they're back in form. The grateful crane vs Hoozuki was epic.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:21 pm Reply with quote

The creator's take on a Nurarihyon who's honest and only has a bad reputation because of his ability to stay inconspicuous is a unique one. Although universally depicted as an old man in traditional paintings, the personage depicted in the Shounen Manga series Nurarihyon no Mago would be more familiar to some viewers. He's stilled unrivalled in the ability to slip away from trouble though.

If anything, both episode halves were selected together specifically to showcase the loafer Gon when he's actually forced to do honest work. It's amazing how someone like him got employed, but his ability to read the exact demands of his employer despite the horribly nasty late-Shang dynasty depictions of torture Daji was famous for shows he wasn't lying when he claimed he'd found the perfect workplace. I've got to hand it to him for his dedication to loafing even when he's about to be swallowed whole.

Last edited by Harleyquin on Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:47 pm Reply with quote

Miki doesn't get much screentime unless she's with her soulmate/colleague Maki, but this episode shows a surprising connection between herself and the foxes at the bar run by Gon. Considering this week didn't see an introduction to the already burgeoning ensemble, it's not a bad substitute in its own right since viewers get to hear a first-class rendition of a mental breakdown in public. A round of applause to Miki's VA for delivering the laughs and conveying the sense of despair she'd hinted at when her character was first introduced to the show.

The second half is linked to the first because of the bug Hoozuki was trying to introduce to pre-schoolers. As a comedy skit it's an easy one to understand since it's essentially toilet humour (and a noticeable first for this show which relies on other comedic elements to give viewers the giggles). As a bonus, viewers are reminded just how good Hoozuki is at putting his subordinates in their place with well-timed sadism delivered with the effortless deadpan monotone he's famous for.

I remember one of next week's skits because it's REALLY funny because of its incongruous absurdity, so I'm looking forward to see how the animators interpret it. Season doesn't have long to go but there's no shortage of material and lack of new characters to continue throwing into the mix.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:29 pm Reply with quote

Focus on Karashi again this week. Although it's amusing to see how she absolutely loses control every time tanuki get mentioned within earshot, she is sufficiently dedicated to her work to realise it's not very professional to lose control each and every time. Unfortunately Hoozuki's selection of a training dojo wasn't too good in this case. It's not difficult to realise why the temple stopped getting visitors either.

The gladiatorial contests are a classic example of not judging animals by their appearance alone. Karashi is an absolute mutant in contrast to the regular Japanese rabbits who populate heaven as apprentice pharmacists and wouldn't have a chance if pitted against the same opponents she easily crushed. Even if Kasha had stayed awake to finish the bout, I'm not sure she'd have won in a no-holds-barred contest. As expected, the only entities capable of going toe-to-toe with Karashi are Hoozuki himself and possibly Chun.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:07 pm Reply with quote

This episode canonically speaking isn't really consistent with what's been aired before. The hag's husband has been mentioned indirectly in previous episodes but it's only this week where he's formally introduced. There's a little reminder that Hoozuki IS the chief of staff (HR boss) for the fifth court, but even he has trouble against personnel who are just as senior, if not more than he is.

For the second half, it's the first time viewers get to see Maki and Miki mess around like a stand-up comedy pair. They did show up as show hosts earlier in the series, but it's nutty dialogue like this which pokes fun at the current state of the idol industry in Japan that bring on the chuckles. Miki at least has a weakness which Maki has at least a competitive advantage over her, but getting gatecrashed by Hoozuki, Shiro and the amoral manager brings about another of her now-famous mental breakdowns.

Not much left for this season and it looks like they'll be ending up with another of the Kings yet to be formally introduced on a one-to-one basis for next week.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:13 pm Reply with quote

The first half is a blast from the past: season 1 pilot episode was the first and only time Momotaro was dressed in that outfit accompanied by his three companions. Now viewers get a little peek at how the franchise interprets the Oni he defeated in his legend after they've been transposed to the modern era. More chuckles than guffaws, but a lot of the background is where the creator's depth of research shines through.

The second half is more informative than funny. The second King was last seen at the Ten Kings Banquet episode so this week marks his formal introduction (together with his panda chief of staff). There are a few digs at panda diplomacy and another reminder that Hoozuki is an animal nut himself. The last scene is a nice one. Shiro might be a carefree airhead, but his head and loyalties are in the right place. Rurio and Kakisuke are smarter, but just as good natured. As a good Chief of Staff, Hoozuki rewards those who serve well and resist a tempting headhunting attempt from a rival court.

I think next week's the last episode, so what the animators have picked seems to be an unusual one with some of the franchise favourites making another guest appearance.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:51 pm Reply with quote
#13 end

As a season finale, this week is probably weaker than its counterparts from seasons 1 and 2 in terms of entertainment value. Occasionally the series likes to do a bit of social commentary about modern Japanese society and this week happens to have an extra-heavy dose of it. Japanese viewers might get a chuckle out of it, everyone else without cultural affinity will be bored stiff.

The second half was a bit forced, but they somehow managed to get every new character working in the administration introduced in this series into the frame, if only for a brief moment. There are a few cameos from season 2, but it's mostly to ram home the point that King Enma isn't anything without his indispensable chief of staff.

The series is still going strong in Japan, so it's up to the DVD sales to decide if there's a fourth season. Because there is no overarching plot, the animators get to cherry pick what they want to show in each adaptation which cuts both ways in keeping audiences interested. So long as they keep producing this series, I'll watch it since I've grown fond of the cast and the surroundings.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Normally I can not stand episodic anime without an actual continuous storyline since they are empty, formulaic, they have no story to tell, but this one is a rare exception since it is so rich in artistry, mythology, culture in general as well as with really cute characters that I can not rate it as anything less than "Excellent" (it would be a "Masterpiece" with an overarching story), even though this anime is not perfect and not for everybody in principle. This series is for people who want to rise above just entertainment but also want to be educated a bit about society, history, mythology, culturology (yes, it explains it mostly correctly, it is not just random nonsense or humour).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6