• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nisekoi (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:37 am Reply with quote
Everybody dies in a hail of bullets. That's not really a spoiler since anyone could see that's where things were headed.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:06 am Reply with quote
ep.20

spoiler[the play is on rakU & chitoge doing romeo & juliet yet seem well give some opps yet crowd take it all part of the show include shu make tsumugi confess for raku, marika surprise appear give "twist" have raku-marika as brother & sister.

even raku go on run for claude attack til brick & stage fall down cue ladder climb for raku & chitoge with play is a success.

all done give raku & chitoge have alone time bit ha said vs she said yet both patch up yea everything back to normal now wrap-up party give tsumugi is going shu hunting, marika on bed rest exhaust, ruri still make raku-onodera, etc.

then raku & onodera have some talk then make their own version of romeo & juliet in play for 2 of them only indeed all fine cue "end card". ]
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I certainly do admire Ruri's patience. I'd have given up by then.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 20 (finale)

While this was a nice finale, and I liked certain parts of characters, ultimately I did not feel that much special with the series. No spark that made me really care, or even set itself above other harems. Characters felt like the tired old cliché, and not really witty or anything, which I could say the current airing Flag show has managed.

I don't have too many actual complaints, I liked Tsugumi and Onodera, but I hated Clause and found his violent interruptions without punishment to be annoying. For all he kind of upset her, next have him fight for survival against her person feels small. Him going against his leader's wishes and trying to start a war should be enough to expel him from the group. I will overall think of this as a fond show, and I give it a Decent, I didn't lose my time. I honestly don't care for any more or any further closure, or so called character development.

Well in writing this I am a little sick, so I hope that I have been fair and did not go overboard.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Everybody dies in a hail of bullets. That's not really a spoiler since anyone could see that's where things were headed.

I hoped and so I watched. No such luck. They couldn't get the "everyone dies" ending of the play right {I guess? Or did they die from "true love" rather than poison?}, they couldn't even get the Buster Keaton "falling backdrop" gag right.

I wanted a romantic comedy produced by Shaft, I hoped for surreal humor and gags after remembering it's based on an ongoing WSJ manga, I would have liked a more cohesive narrative flow, I could have used more character relations explored other than Raku and Chitoge {...Onodera because she's cute and Marika because he's a nice guy? Tsugumi wasn't even an option?}, I might have settled for a "This lock/key is...!" abrupt ending.

Conclusion: Too many love interests, not properly adapted.

And while I do realize the irony about complaining about its WSJ pedigree while extolling the virtues of fellow WSJ manga Ichijo 100%, they're from completely different eras of audiences {And polls. Oh, the polls...} Ichijo 100% was always a love triangle between one guy and two girls, no matter how many other girls were forcefully introduced to keep the series from ending .

Nisekoi feels like a two person love story with a whole lot of mess in between them. Oh, and not enough personality to go around for the entire cast for some reason.

The oddest part is that it doesn't include the male lead for a change. There, a positive.

But this makes his falling for the bland Onodera all the more confusing. And there it goes...
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Conclusion: Too many love interests, not properly adapted.

The adaptation was actually pretty faithful, so there's no real issues on that end.

Funny you should mention Ichigo 100%. That's one of those rare titles where spoiler[the male and female leads didn't end up together.]
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I hoped and so I watched. No such luck. They couldn't get the "everyone dies" ending of the play right {I guess? Or did they die from "true love" rather than poison?}, they couldn't even get the Buster Keaton "falling backdrop" gag right.

I don't think they had enough time to do the whole play.

............which certainly answered my "OMG,BUT THE POISON-KISS SCENE!?" inquiry. Every time R&J shows up in other (mostly shoujo) manga as the school play, it's a HUGE deal because of that. Anime hyper

I guess I'm a bit disappointed spoiler[that wasn't the case this time.] I thought maybe they'd go for 'well, just move close enough to make it look like you're kissing' plot and then something bumps them into an accidental kiss. Cliche but it would add more spice to the finale. :'D

I forgot to mention Raku spoiler[pulling out the sister card on Marika] was hilarious. Touche, Raku. I know I've complained about him a little bit...but I really like Raku. I like how he tries to analyze and find logic in things that don't make sense to him. His inner monologues are one of my favorite parts of Nisekoi. He's a good harem lead, imho. He's not one of those "well, you did absolutely nothing to make all these girls want you". You get a believable explanation of each girl's crush on him. The characters' feelings make more sense than......well, a lot of girls in harem shows.

Vaisaga wrote:
Funny you should mention Ichigo 100%. That's one of those rare titles where spoiler[the male and female leads didn't end up together.]

o.o
So that's why everyone threw a hissy fit!! No wonder. I never watched it...but I remember how pissed off fans were about it. lol
(I spend a lot of time on anime forums...so I know stuff about shows without even seeing a second of the actual show. Anime hyper)
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Well the anime didn't have him pick anyone because the manga was still ongoing. But the manga's ending...
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:22 pm Reply with quote
*laughing*
Oh man, if a shoujo manga ever did that, there would be blood. Blood. Likely the author's... Laughing Girls are probably ten times more rabid over shipping and romance than the average guy!

Welps, I'm gonna go read the manga for Nisekoi now....speaking of manga.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:33 am Reply with quote
I forgot to actually make a comparison to the play of Romeo and Juliet to Black class's play, sadly it did not end the same way. I am being sarcastic as I don't hate the characters.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:30 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

I forgot to mention Raku spoiler[pulling out the sister card on Marika] was hilarious. Touche, Raku. I know I've complained about him a little bit...but I really like Raku. I like how he tries to analyze and find logic in things that don't make sense to him. His inner monologues are one of my favorite parts of Nisekoi. He's a good harem lead, imho. He's not one of those "well, you did absolutely nothing to make all these girls want you". You get a believable explanation of each girl's crush on him. The characters' feelings make more sense than......well, a lot of girls in harem shows.

A shame is inner monologues never quite match up to Kyon's
Wink. It's definitely a feature that needs to be used more. Adds a new level of complexity to the character.

Speaking of Marika I always felt like her reasons for liking Raku were probably the most faulty of all the girls. The rest of them came to love him because of his interactions with them but with her she loved him instantly because of the whole "Childhood friend thing". It really amazes me how harem males always seem to have selective memories with issues like this. It's pretty much the only way a character like this can function in this kind of show because the MC feels some sort of "obligation" to appease them.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:03 am Reply with quote
^I dunno. I have VERY vague memories of kids I played with when I was only five, myself.... Razz
Him not remembering that wasn't much of a stretch.

Quote:
A shame is inner monologues never quite match up to Kyon's
Wink. It's definitely a feature that needs to be used more. Adds a new level of complexity to the character.

Well, Kyon is king so...it's a tall glass to fill. Anime hyper
But I agree. More, please.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Welps, I'm gonna go read the manga for Nisekoi now....speaking of manga.

I've actually been buying Viz's releases myself. It nicely filled the void To Love Ru left: a smiple title with nice art that's a light and enjoyable read. Even if the plot doesn't progress, it's able to put a smile on my face for the 5 or so minutes it takes me to read it.

leatherhead333 wrote:
Speaking of Marika I always felt like her reasons for liking Raku were probably the most faulty of all the girls.

Can't say I agree. She fell for him as a child because he was her only companion, playing with her, telling her stories, and bringing her stuff. A pretty natural outcome. Then she meets up with him again as a teenager and sees he's still the kindhearted boy she fell for all those years ago. It'd be a different story if Raku had become some jerkass and Marika was loving his shadow.

As for him remembering her, of course it's gonna be hard when she changed so much about herself. It only clicked for him when she started acting like how she used to.

Well, I'm happy to know Marika is pretty well liked in Japan. She did kick Chitoge out of the #2 spot in the last popularity poll Very Happy (Kosaki being #1, of course.)
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Well, I'm happy to know Marika is pretty well liked in Japan. She did kick Chitoge out of the #2 spot in the last popularity poll Very Happy (Kosaki being #1, of course.)

Yes, romance stories dictated by polls always come out best, don't they?

1 Meek and mild, is what he thinks he wants
2 Subservient to a fault, becomes what she thinks he wants
3 An actual personality, most likely what he really wants

Not the first time I've said this but there's something really wrong with Japan ... but the series does seem to be aware of it. Maybe if I look at Nisekoi, "false love", and Raku's likes/dislikes in girls with a more critical eye, contrasting what he thinks he wants {a thing} versus what he actually desires {an equal he can't control} then maybe...

I'll get even more of the manga fans to hate my opinions.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Well, last year SJ USA did a poll. Maybe this will make you feel better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 24