• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Sailor Moon Anime by Toei to Premiere in July

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:54 am Reply with quote
Hellfish wrote:
The script guy worked on Saint Seiya Omega... oh god I am scared now D: D:

I really, really, really hope is good, the other people on the proyect sound really solid and I am sure Takeuchi won't let release nothing until she likes it but I am still nervous.

I was sure it was going to delay as normally "exclusive" pictures would start to appear on Newtype on other magazines, maybe this will be the last delay, I do hope so.

why say that. sure i never saw saint seiya omega since it never have been released in the US , but he can't be that bad. can he? cause the only way that would happen is that he's like the japaneese version of Stephen Foster who did wonders with Ghost Stories , but made Orphen into a complete mess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:07 am Reply with quote
Are people serious when they say they want the old voice actresses? Do you really want 50-60 year old women voicing teens?
Guile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:30 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Haterater wrote:
I'll just take a wait and see approach. Getting kind of concern on how they are treating this. Something like this shouldn't be on backburner so much.

The reality is that in this day and age, Precure is a more important property for them then a 20 year old series... Precure comes first, then Sailor Moon.

This is something a lot of westerners don't understand. Sailor Moon was and still is a classic series in Japan, but it's hardly as important as it once was. It has special importance to Americans because it was pretty much the only magical girl anime that aired on TV, so to them it's still a huge deal, but in Japan there have been dozens since then. Pretty Cure is the Sailor Moon of this generation, and has been for the past 10 years. It's now a far bigger franchise than Sailor Moon ever was, with multiple series and movies and comparable to Toei's Super Sentai and Kamen Rider franchises which are aimed at the male equivalent. Western fans who think Sailor Moon should be getting more importance and focus need to realize Pretty Cure is more important to both Toei and the fans in Japan than an old series like Sailor Moon. The issue being Pretty Cure is mostly unheard of in America due to it never airing there, or most other magical girl series that have aired since Sailor Moon's time, such as Ojamajo Doremi, another big franchise by Toei.

Last edited by Guile on Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:31 am Reply with quote
If they can still pull off the voice, then why not? That's the thing about voice acting, its all in the voice, not in the actor's appearance.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:02 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Are people serious when they say they want the old voice actresses? Do you really want 50-60 year old women voicing teens?

If the Saint Seiya Hades Chapter fiasco has taught Toei (& Kurumada) anything, it's that people still care for the voice actors & actresses they listened to years ago so yeah, people do want this cast to return. It's just a matter of if they want to come back or if they can still voice them as well or close to how they did in the past.

For those who watch Saint Seiya Omega, both Aya Hisakawa & Toru Furuya proved that they still can pull it off so the question is if Kotono Mitsuishi still can and if the rest even wants to return.

Guile wrote:
The issue being Pretty Cure is mostly unheard of in America due to it never airing there, or most other magical girl series that have aired since Sailor Moon's time, such as Ojamajo Doremi, another big franchise by Toei.

Doremi actually did air here back when 4Kids had the license and as far as I know, they never got the rest of the show after the first season. Another magical girl show, Tokyo Mew Mew (not from Toei but from Pierrot), 4Kids also had but never got past the first 26 episodes. As for Pretty Cure, it was already mentioned in other threads but for the first season, Toei had that dubbed and all of it aired outside of the US (I'm talking Canada (where it was dubbed at), UK, Australia & New Zealand) but they never went further than that and the same thing happened with Powerpuff Girls Z where in this case, Cartoon Network had it dubbed (in Vancouver so no original voice cast) and it only aired outside of the US (specifically in Australia & the Philippines).

With all of these failed attempts at getting these magical girl shows popular here & elsewhere, it really makes me wonder what Saban is going to do with the later Precures that's going to make a difference?
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:42 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Frank Welker has been the voice of Fred Jones on Scooby Doo for the last 44 years.

As long as they can pull off the voice, who cares how old they are?
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:00 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
With all of these failed attempts at getting these magical girl shows popular here & elsewhere, it really makes me wonder what Saban is going to do with the later Precures that's going to make a difference?

Saban is no longer interested in pursuing anime. He would rather focus on the Sentai shows that put his business truly in the mainstream.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Shiggity wrote:
I dunno why this hadn't hit me before just now, but has anyone else noticed that around the time when this new anime adaption is gonna 'air' online the NA dub cast for SM will be at Anime Expo 2014

Well, I do find that to be an interesting coincidence...but a coincidence nonetheless.

AnimeExpo could also have NicoNico Douga air the premiere at the con... hmmm...
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:44 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
NJ_ wrote:

Saban is no longer interested in pursuing anime. He would rather focus on the Sentai shows that put his business truly in the mainstream.
A) Saban has an extremely recent trademark for "Glitter Force". B) A certain well-connected Sam Pinansky has confirmed it for us:
samuelp wrote:
FYI Pretty Cure is getting dubbed by Saban... Well, not "dubbed" as much as localized, I'm sure. It seems the working title is Glitter Force if you want to go by US Trademark applications.

It's still rumor based on a single Italian press release from RIA but I've basically confirmed it with my own sources.
Given the price a franchise the size of Pretty Cure has to command, I highly doubt they'd grab the license just to resell it, especially since everybody else who wants it already has it.

That said, this might just fall flat on his face if he can't find a channel with a decent-sized audience that isn't completely staffed with folks who think girls have cooties and isn't barred by the FCC from advertising the merch.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I suppose the only option is The Hub for a female aimed media friendly kids network. But with the strong ties between Hasbro and The Hub I'd assume they would block something owned by Saban unless Hasbro thought it was worth producing and marketing some dolls based on it leaving Saban only as a production partner. However to be honest if they were going to do that I think Hasbro would either come up with there own new magical girl superheroine show or make a modern version of Jem and the Holograms and use the magical idol girl trope instead.

I suppose theoretically Nickelodeon, as they aired Legend of Korra which has a female lead. But Korra still has way more prominent male characters than there is in a season of Pretty Cure to placate the Network Executives at least somewhat (at least when they got the test audiences back who show boys were still very much interested). That and Korra's tone it pretty gender neutral in terms of setting whereas Pretty Cure oozes sparkles and pink and cutesy character designs (which are actually kind of deceptive a lot of the time).
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't Nickelodeon also show new episodes of the Winx Club as well? Maybe they could theoretically show Pretty Cure near that time slot?
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
You know I'd completely forgotten about Nick having Winx Club! Yeah perhaps there is a possibility of Nick airing Pretty Cure but to be honest the idea of any PreCure series getting rechristened to Glitter Force and dubbed by Saban has shades of 4Kids's dubbing of Tokyo Mew Mew into Mew Mew Power and makes me wince. That being said perhaps the renaming is just necessary due to TOEI's in-house adaption team still holding the USA & Canada copyright to the Pretty Cure because of the Canadian dub?
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
A) Saban has an extremely recent trademark for "Glitter Force". B) A certain well-connected Sam Pinansky has confirmed it for us:

You know what? I will believe it when I see it. I've heard stories about Saban licensing the show a while ago but nothing ever came out of it.
GracieLizzy wrote:
You know I'd completely forgotten about Nick having Winx Club! Yeah perhaps there is a possibility of Nick airing Pretty Cure but to be honest the idea of any PreCure series getting rechristened to Glitter Force and dubbed by Saban has shades of 4Kids's dubbing of Tokyo Mew Mew into Mew Mew Power and makes me wince. That being said perhaps the renaming is just necessary due to TOEI's in-house adaption team still holding the USA & Canada copyright to the Pretty Cure because of the Canadian dub?

I personally think it's just Saban being Saban. I wouldn't put it aside that Saban chose to rename "Pretty Cure" to "Glitter Force" for the purposes of making the show sound more attractive and less sappy. That is, if the show is coming out.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:48 pm Reply with quote
So the date is this July? Once when I finally see trailers and previews of the updated character designs for all of the major characters in the series, consider me still skeptical.
Sailor Star Dust

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:09 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
so the question is if Kotono Mitsuishi still can and if the rest even wants to return.

Mitsuishi's done Usagi's speech at various cons throughout the years (don't forget that 1 episode of Excel Saga Laughing ) and she's been good at reprising Misato in Evangelion: New Movie Edition. Don't think we have anything to worry about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6