• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Sailor Moon Anime's Producer: Not Remaking 1st Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
remiell

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:03 am Reply with quote
Manga unlike anime version was pretty much atmosphereless for me. July will come sooner than expected though.
Caloris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:25 am Reply with quote
I hope this isn't just getting streamed. TV screening would be nice.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:51 am Reply with quote
Just ban it from the DICheads, or some such similar.
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:53 am Reply with quote
Been WAITING for this!
Hero355

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:28 am Reply with quote
At last we got real info for it,but sad is it has delayed again to July 2014

Need to be patient :D

But I'm interested in about design of Anime,Will be same design as old version? I really like the old one I don't want they change it's design :?:
Morning Blue

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:47 am Reply with quote
Sailor Star Dust wrote:
Didn't we know from the start (Summer 2012, IIRC) this new series was a manga retelling? Fan sites back then at least stated as much.

All we knew beforehand is that it wasn't going to be a reboot/retelling and who was doing the opening theme. Nothing was said about a faithful manga retelling; that was all pure speculation.

I'm also pretty sure if anyone else but Toei Animation was animating this, we'd have actually gotten this series this winter as promised. Having them release it at the same time as Robot Girls Z and the upcoming Pretty Cure series was probably seen as suicide to them, and I don't blame them.
EricJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:50 am Reply with quote
remiell wrote:
Manga unlike anime version was pretty much atmosphereless for me. July will come sooner than expected though.

Yes, like Mamoru Oshii with UY, or Akitaroh Daichi with Kodocha, Junichi Sato and Kunihiko Inuhara with the original Sailor Moons were examples of the director making an entirely new entity out of the anime version--With a little help from Kotono Mitsuishi. Very Happy
Some classic TV series are just plain darned DULL in the manga by comparison, no matter how many sales they had at first or how much fame they had as exports.

I'm still traumatized from that live-action "Pretty Soldier" version we got, where Minako was the mysterious snooty older character (because they didn't know where to go with the "Is she really the princess?" Sailor V arc), or that whole depressing climax with Usagi being "possessed" by Neo-Serenity, and her reunion with Endymion threatening to destroy the world...
We lose something of the Senshi's friendship without Sato's cuddly Keroro-like taste for lovable quirkiness and occasional incompetence, and Takeuchi's big-eyed romantic character isn't quite the Usagi we remember in posterity. A manga plot-driven Ami or Minako just wouldn't be quite the same either. Sad

Hopefully, it'll be the same as every time a classic TV reboot has a version over here, they have to reissue the vintage boxsets to say "C'mon, you remember how much you used to like it!"
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:49 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
Sailor Star Dust wrote:
Oh, so I'm assuming Mitsuishi and Furuya will still be reprising their roles as announced back in Summer 2012? No reason Ogata couldn't reprise hers then (assuming this new series doesn't pull a PGSM live action and only cover the first arc/season).

Hell, maybe Toei/whoever will bring back as much of the original (living) cast as possible since this is a special thing.

All inner senshi except Mars are still working at a good pace. Mars's VA returned for the reunion a few years back or so. The Shitennou... Hm, I think only Jedite is the only one who is doing things... CONSTANTLY. Kunsite's VA passed away.

For outer senshi, Pluto retired. Other than her, everyone is still "active."

It'd be awesome if we could get any available cast members back. I do NOT want Sailor Moon to turn into some seiyuu idol fest, with Stylips playing the main characters... Or Hanazawa and Toyosaki or something... *shiver*

Sailor Star Fighter's VA passed away as well didn't she?

I wonder if they'll throw a curve ball at us like have a new cast for all the leads but but have Kotono Mitsuishi and Tohru Furuya as other characters as part of a Mythology gag like say Ikuko-mama and Kenji-papa or something like that?
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:03 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Uh...why wouldn't Toei stretch out the arcs if it means extra money? Toei LOVES its long-runners. Don't their seasons usually run at least 50 episodes?

Extra money does not excuse extra crap that adds nothing to the story as a whole. All fans know that.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Just ban it from the DICheads, or some such similar.

Sailor Moon wasn't dubbed by Dic; it was dubbed by Optimum Productions.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:00 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
Uh...why wouldn't Toei stretch out the arcs if it means extra money? Toei LOVES its long-runners. Don't their seasons usually run at least 50 episodes?

Extra money does not excuse extra crap that adds nothing to the story as a whole. All fans know that.

Who says an extension would add nothing?
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:05 pm Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:
remiell wrote:

Yes, like Mamoru Oshii with UY, or Akitaroh Daichi with Kodocha, Junichi Sato and Kunihiko Inuhara with the original Sailor Moons were examples of the director making an entirely new entity out of the anime version--With a little help from Kotono Mitsuishi. Very Happy
Some classic TV series are just plain darned DULL in the manga by comparison, no matter how many sales they had at first or how much fame they had as exports.

I'm still traumatized from that live-action "Pretty Soldier" version we got, where Minako was the mysterious snooty older character (because they didn't know where to go with the "Is she really the princess?" Sailor V arc), or that whole depressing climax with Usagi being "possessed" by Neo-Serenity, and her reunion with Endymion threatening to destroy the world...
We lose something of the Senshi's friendship without Sato's cuddly Keroro-like taste for lovable quirkiness and occasional incompetence, and Takeuchi's big-eyed romantic character isn't quite the Usagi we remember in posterity. A manga plot-driven Ami or Minako just wouldn't be quite the same either. Sad

Hopefully, it'll be the same as every time a classic TV reboot has a version over here, they have to reissue the vintage boxsets to say "C'mon, you remember how much you used to like it!"

Much like the manga, the Live-Action has a much more tragic tone; not caring for it is no reason to shit all over it. The manga is fine, as is. Though admittedly, I am hoping for more development for the other soldiers.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:07 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Well in that case, no need for the original voice cast either.

With logic like that, DBZ kai didn't need the original voice actors to return either, and neither did FMA B
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Zeo1fan wrote:
Who says an extension would add nothing?

That depends on what is being "added" here. If the fillers help add to the story or entertainment value without taking away fan enjoyment, whatever. If they don't, then what exactly was Toei thinking?

But here's the thing: this could very well be a straight-up adaptation of the manga and the manga is complete. Historically, I've only seen Toei add fillers when their current production is getting marginally close to the author's current chapters of the manga or if they want to promote the latest video game or other accessory.

And if fans know this, then why do they still complain?
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:32 pm Reply with quote
For what it's worth the original anime added a lot more personality and character to characters who in the manga died outright in less than 1 chapter. For better (Witches 5, and just about everybody else) or worse (Tiger's Eye and Kaolinite).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8