• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Sailor Moon Anime's Producer: Not Remaking 1st Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:25 am Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
Pretty much all of the original Sailor Moon anime WAS filler.

That's an overstatement. You can't sit there and tell me the anime had no plot; that there were no story-lines. That the story was purely "Monster pops up and gets knocked down." That would be doing the show a gross disservice.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:33 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Nayu wrote:

That's an overstatement. You can't sit there and tell me the anime had no plot; that there were no story-lines. That the story was purely "Monster pops up and gets knocked down." That would be doing the show a gross disservice.
But you can't also deny that that was pretty much the template for each episode, and it was filler in the sense that it was mostly non-canon to the manga, so anything went.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:37 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
Nayu wrote:

But you can't also deny that that was pretty much the template for each episode, and it was filler in the sense that it was mostly non-canon to the manga, so anything went.

An adaptation deviating from the source material doesn't make it "non-canon." Rather, the anime clearly had its own canon. It was its own story, the whole way through. And even on a formula, there were relatively few episodes that were pure filler. An adaptation should be able to stand on its own.
Nayu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:42 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Nayu wrote:

No, but the vast majority of every episode was "cute girls doing cute things and encounter a monster". I'd say there was maybe 20 episodes of story content in season 1 that wasn't a MOTD slaying, henshin sequence or other padding and I'm being generous.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:48 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:

An adaptation deviating from the source material doesn't make it "non-canon." Rather, the anime clearly had its own canon. It was its own story, the whole way through. And even on a formula, there were relatively few episodes that were pure filler. An adaptation should be able to stand on its own.
That implies a misunderstanding of the word "canon".

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:51 am; edited 1 time in total
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:50 am Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
Nayu wrote:

No, but the vast majority of every episode was "cute girls doing cute things and encounter a monster". I'd say there was maybe 20 episodes of story content in season 1 that wasn't a MOTD slaying, henshin sequence or other padding and I'm being generous.

And now you're acting like the evil plots weren't even built up? That the characters were always just faffing about when a monster appeared? That's a load of malarky. And a bit of stock footage doesn't preclude story progress either. Just look at Fairy Tail.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:53 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

What I was saying is, the anime is an adaptation; its own story. It shouldn't be judged by the manga's canon. It had its own canon.
Nayu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:57 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Nayu wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
Nayu wrote:

And now you're acting like the evil plots weren't even built up? That the characters were always just faffing about when a monster appeared? That's a load of malarky. And a bit of stock footage doesn't preclude story progress either. Just look at Fairy Tail.

You mean the evil plots like Jadeite taking over a radio station to "siphon" energon from the listeners? And they always failed cause the stupid heroes showed up luckily at the location where the MOTD was doing the siphoning? Every single time. Those were stupid and need to be destroyed.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:01 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

What I was saying is, the anime is an adaptation; its own story. It shouldn't be judged by the manga's canon. It had its own canon.
Prosecution rests M'lard.
Nayu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:03 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

Oh god. I'm not being drug down to your level and being beat with experience.
remiell

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:19 am Reply with quote
A vast majority of characters in manga are just lifeless. Anime creators did a great job, that lead all of them to huge success worldwide. + that fantastic soundtrack and humor
EricJ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:55 am Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
Oh god. I'm not being drug down to your level and being beat with experience.

(Yeah, we don't want nasty old experience "drug" into the discussion, now, do we? Rolling Eyes )

Nayu wrote:
You mean the evil plots like Jadeite taking over a radio station to "siphon" energon from the listeners? And they always failed cause the stupid heroes showed up luckily at the location where the MOTD was doing the siphoning? Every single time. Those were stupid and need to be destroyed.

Um, wow, you've never seen the third-season S series in, like....EVER, have you? Shocked

(I mean, yeah, I remember dopey mainstream people judging it by the silly first two dubbed seasons, but that was fifteen years ago--
Cartoon Network showed the S and SuperS seasons and the Movies back when Bush was president; where'd Mr. 90's-Joke come from??)
Nayu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:35 am Reply with quote
Sorry EricJ, but all the Generals, Witches, Amazon(es), and Furries in Sailor Moon were all derp all the time. None of them had a decent success rate.

Period. All the filler their "plots" spawned should be cut. Back to the pure manga.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:03 am Reply with quote
The Sailor Moon "filler" (god do I hate that word so much) improved the story dramatically.

Now, you might argue that there was too much of it, but its presence was a net positive.

Honestly I don't want the new anime to be a direct adaption of the manga because, and I know this will shock some people...the manga really isn't that good.

It has parts that are amazing, and the basic concept is good, but on the whole its really inferior to the anime.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:55 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Not me. Since when are you a representative of all anime fans? By your logic, pretty much the entire original sailor moon anime could've been classed as 'filler'. An adaptation should be able to stand on it's own; there are different requirements for different mediums and if the story doesn't change to fit those requirements, then the adaptation only suffers. Zack Snyder's work exemplifies this.

Look who's talking? Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8