• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Sailor Moon Anime's Producer: Not Remaking 1st Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Great; I'm not a big fan of the manga but I prefer when an anime follows closely its manga counterpart. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
EricJ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
The Sailor Moon "filler" (god do I hate that word so much) improved the story dramatically.

Now, you might argue that there was too much of it, but its presence was a net positive.

They just didn't plain know WHAT to do with Minako after she'd served her usefulness in the first series, until the Nurse Minako episode in the R Series.
Filler, yes, but one of the series turning points. Very Happy
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:16 pm Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
The Sailor Moon "filler" (god do I hate that word so much) improved the story dramatically.

Now, you might argue that there was too much of it, but its presence was a net positive.

They just didn't plain know WHAT to do with Minako after she'd served her usefulness in the first series, until the Nurse Minako episode in the R Series.
Filler, yes, but one of the series turning points. Very Happy

On that point, I'll agree. In the manga she was the leader, but in the anime it was Sailor Moon. So in the anime, after season 1, most of stories centered around dwelling on love (not out of character for her) or struggling with having to sacrifice her normal life for her duty as a soldier. Though to be fair, the inner struggle leading up to the choice to sacrifice her normal life (which occurs in Act 52 and episode 192, respectively) was fleshed out better in the anime.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Episode 192 brought Minako's dreams of being an idol star full circle and I thought it was a nice way to resolve that long-standing side plot device, especially at the end of the episode where she says that
spoiler[She wants to be with her friends first before pursuing her career as an idol]
Just goes to show that even if Minako can be a bit of a flake at times, she does know when to put duty first when it matters.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:10 am Reply with quote
For better or worse, the "padding" helped make these types of series into phenomenon status. Firstly, out of sight out of mind - if it's out of the public's consciousness for an extended period, it's harder to maintain the momentum. That's why DBZ, Pokemon, Precure, etc. kept going. And for global status, it allowed fans in other countries with different time-frames of exposure to "catch up" and become popular while it's still popular in Japan as well as elsewhere (so basically at some point, it's popular in all the places simultaneously - that created synergy that helped each other out). This is harder to do if the original time-frame was too short.
ForeverYours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:11 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Well in that case, no need for the original voice cast either.

I thought I was the only one who did not wish for their return <3
ForeverYours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:15 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Technically, no, but come on, Mitsuishi is still awesome and Furuya hasn't aged.

I don't know what he meant, but I think it was to the English voice actors because, let's be honest here, they didn't do a very stellar job and their voices were too old for the characters. But i could be wrong on what he meant.
ForeverYours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:28 am Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

With logic like that, DBZ kai didn't need the original voice actors to return either, and neither did FMA B

FMA: B had good voice actors and was redone only after a few years. Sailor Moon has been 20 years and (at least for the english dub) had terrible voice actors. I loved them as a kid, but I cringe now and I pray the dub is graced with a different dub team.
ForeverYours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:49 am Reply with quote
I wonder if they will make a new style resembling the manga's style, or make it look all 90s anime styled..

Personally, I'd like the first one. All pretty and new <3
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:53 am Reply with quote
ForeverYours wrote:
Sailor Moon has been 20 years and (at least for the english dub) had terrible voice actors. I loved them as a kid, but I cringe now and I pray the dub is graced with a different dub team.

Well, considering that the English version of Sailor Moon was done in Canada [if I correctly recall], I think the chance of bringing in a new English seiyuu cast is pretty large.
...if the show makes it to the U.S., that is.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Now I think it is unfair to call the voice actors terrible, I think it was more to do with voice direction and goofy re-written dialog (note I am well aware Sailor Moon is and always has been a kids show but the Japanese version didn't talk down to kids and certainly didn't try and use bad outdated slang from the 1970s) than the voice actors themselves.

By the time of S and SuperS you can tell Optimum Productions were rushing things to fill Cloverway's schedule for getting it onto Toonami because of the lack of attack name consistancy and the fact they were using a voice director who didn't even know much English herself (she was a Francophone). It's a lot like when you listen to a 4Kids dub like Mew Mew Power (Tokyo Mew Mew) and even though really good VAs like Sean Schemmel are working on it due to the tone 4Kids goes for it comes off sounding awful.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Exactly. The VA's can't be blamed for their conjecture of their respective roles. They're just following the directions of their director. You can go to any convention and they will tell you the exact same thing. If they've been given good direction, I bet their performances will be like night and day.
Alexander55

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Well I'd be. They are entirely adapting the Anime from the Manga rather than remaking the Anime. Its gonna be pretty interesting on how they'll do it.

Of course, don't expect for this to land on any of Nicktoons daily slots like Dragon Ball Z did though because it contains some content that is suited for an older audience, and I doubt Nicktoons would go through the trouble of censoring the content, especially the backslash they would get.

Instead, it will probably be on the Toonami/Adult Swim late night block and both Crunchyroll and FUNimation will get the rights to stream it like they did with Kondansha's Attack on Titan. I will probably wait when its streamed eventually.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Nico-Nico are streaming it subbed worldwide. Personally I do hope it is Funimation who gets it for a dub if it does get dubbed, however I hope it gets release here in the UK too perhaps by Anime Ltd (my preference as we might see a UK dub stream) or Manga Entertainment.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Of course the English dub was terrible. It was horrendous.

Some of the English dub songs were okay, though. Still find "Rainy Day Man" and "My Only Love" pretty memorable. But from what I understand, they were created wholesale by the dub studio.

But there's zero chance of the English dub VAs for SM to return, anyway. Those people don't even voice act anymore, and I can't imagine there's much cry for them to return. (Who even remembers their names?) The show hasn't even premiered in Japanese yet and so obviously nobody's licensed it for North America.

I want some of the Japanese VAs to return. Any English dub should just start from scratch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8