• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Wake Up, Girls! (TV + movie).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:09 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

Took me a little while to figure out the reason they were so angsty over where they were because it is one place that was greatly affected by the tsunami. Apparently the after affect of the tsunami has been a major theme as the reason the business is so harsh is because of the disaster.

We learned two new problems some of the girls have, and the character focus is working. It makes little sense that she be spoiler[criticised despite the fact she was forced out because she got angry for kicking out another member for self centred reasons]. her mother is really something.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:48 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
her mother is really something.

Pretty typical for a stage mom actually.

That I-1 president is brutal. I really wonder how he is going to react when WUG beats him in the Idol contest.
TehDarkPrince

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Due to episode 9, I unequivocally declare Kaya as best girl; a class act all the way.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:53 pm Reply with quote
She was great this episode, though her characteristics was intertvined with the relavation of the backstories, so it wasn't by her own merits that the episode had the nice feel to it as it did.

My point is she still isn't best girl in my book.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Although nothing stellar, I thought that the spoiler[song WUG delivered to their fans did earn that trophy]. Now if they can keep up the pace...

But seriously, what's up with I-1 now? That's a cheap underhanded tactic..at the end there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Was I the only one laughing every time that group with the masks showed up?

That song, First Rate Smiles, sounded very much like Nyaruko-san song. And it looks like he spoiler[gave the song to I-1 too, perhaps done to poison Wake Up, Girls' image as like inferior copies rather than become rivals]. Seems most likely their best take on image will be how they each have their own traits. It was good that they seem to be doing better and I wonder how the next hr\hurdle gets overcome.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:18 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
And it looks like he spoiler[gave the song to I-1 too, perhaps done to poison Wake Up, Girls' image as like inferior copies rather than become rivals]. Seems most likely their best take on image will be how they each have their own traits. It was good that they seem to be doing better and I wonder how the next hr\hurdle gets overcome.

I don't see how that tactic would work. All the fan base would have seen WUG perform the song first, so it should look like I1 is the one that is copying.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:51 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
And it looks like he spoiler[gave the song to I-1 too, perhaps done to poison Wake Up, Girls' image as like inferior copies rather than become rivals]. Seems most likely their best take on image will be how they each have their own traits. It was good that they seem to be doing better and I wonder how the next hr\hurdle gets overcome.

I don't see how that tactic would work. All the fan base would have seen WUG perform the song first, so it should look like I1 is the one that is copying.

I am not sure if I-1 might have been saying they were selling their album, which would imply that they had the song for some time to have it recorded and other material. Maybe trying to start rumours that Mayu was spoiler[using her "past connections" to improve the new group by stealing a song]? Regardless it would look fishy, but who the idol fan community turn against might be what we see next.

I could also interpret that it was the artist desire to show what he could do with a bunch of girls who are new, but I-1 seemed a little too confident.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11:

They should have stretched this over two or maybe three episodes at least, but they did a decent job with the run up.

Why the hell wouldn't they travel to Tokyo the day before the event to get one day of rest? Crazy. When I fly into Tokyo I never book an appointment same day.

I knew it was coming but I always hate this part of the story -- where spoiler[something goes wrong at the last minute.] It's like they have to do it or else they lose their license or something.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:14 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

I knew that as soon as she spoiler[tripped that they should have got her foot checked, just landing on something the wrong way can create really hurt the ankle] which I have experienced a little lately. Continuing spoiler[to stand on it and not telling anyone] is a big mistake.

I have a kind of bad feeling now. Can't we have a cool ending instead of just an emotional one?
Okarus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:31 am Reply with quote
I actually watched the whole pv lol, not bad at all.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 12:

I'll give them credit for coming up with the ending I didn't predict. That's all I'll say about that no spoilers.

It is also a good thing that they didn't just try to rip off The Idol Master because even though WUG isn't as good it at least has its own feel and focus to it. Although I would have liked to see more of the individual stories of the idols they at least showed enough that we had something to care about.

The only other comment that comes to mind right now is that I1 president. He might be a bit of a bastard but he does seems to have a pretty good stage presence. And even if he is ruthless he seems at least sincere about what he is attempting to accomplish.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:20 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (final)

A funny trend that you will often see in music competition is that spoiler[often the winners will not have the biggest success out of it. I think often from reasons like they get locked a particular music release that other recording studios often want to go for second place]. And it is kind of what I had in mind as I saw the end of the episode, they got themselves spoiler[out there and possible a way forward outside of how rivals might dictate].

thoughts for the series: They did manage to improve from the movie which had the downside of very little looking at the characters, with a couple character arcs. Still I would say they were a little on the low side, and I get the feeling that a few of the themes were a bit meta, or someone who understood the situation where this series was set. Sendai was hit very hard by 9.0 earthquakes in 2011, and I think there were some implied knowledge.

I rate it Decent, I did not lose my time watching this, but there were a few things that made it a little hard to enjoy that much.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm satisfied with that ending. I liked this different approach to forming an Idol Group, and like HaruhiToy I also would have liked to see more about each girl individually. if it were to happen, I'd be interested in watching a second season. this gets a good
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Anybody have any idea why "Objectional Contect" in the encyclopedia is rated as "Significant?" What did I miss?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6