• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - A Whiter Shade of Pale

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:46 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
The stuff about remastering is very interesting. Would anime made for TV in the mid-90s (like, say, Slayers) be possible to remaster for Blu-ray? Or would it only exist on videotape? (Not that I'm clamoring for a Slayers Blu-ray, I'm just curious)

Of course it would, assuming they still have the original negatives, which the videotapes would have been made from, originally. Would Slayers be a necessarily great choice that shows off what HD remasters can do on BD? No, the first season at least is a very low budget show, but it will look better than it ever has before.

If something exists only on videotape, it would mean the original negatives were lost.
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:55 pm Reply with quote
From the Answerman article:
Quote:
DVD releases often came from older film or video elements that came much later down the chain of production. Having been copied so many times, they were higher contrast and lost some detail, probably gaining a lot more grain in the process.

Just for curiosity and nostalgia, I've sometimes viewed the anime upon which some shows I saw in childhood were based -- such as Go-Lion and Dairugger -- and I thought that what I saw was grainier than I remembered. I had figured that was just due to me imperfectly remembering my youth, but now I wonder if it was more than just that.
Joji5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I like Hikaru no GO. It as character development show where Hikaru and Akira becomes rivals. Akira didn't know he was playing with Sai and not Hikaru. The problem seems to be that Viz doesn't always treat it's property very nicely. I never like their dubs much. I had high hopes for Viz when they did Ranma way back when. But they have been very sloppy in animes as Full Moon Sagashite. Hikaru no Go and Full Moon Sagashite are both from similar time frames, 2001/2002. Viz didn't get them til later but dubs were underwhelming. How could they have dub the name of a Record Co. into a seen where the main character is trying to avoid mentioning any association with singing. She was under the wings of a "talent" company. Anyway, the second season was much better but never to that far in the dub.
If a show fails, I blame the dub more then the anime.
ActionJacksin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:50 pm Reply with quote
The answer to the color correction query was indeed very informative. I was wondering about it myself, as it might explain why stuff like the Ninja Scroll blu-ray has a more detailed filmic image, but has less vivid looking colors.

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=1971&disc2=1972&cap1=18364&cap2=18372&art=full&image=2&hd_multiID=621&action=1&lossless=#vergleich
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:16 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Gundam Unicorn's simuldub had the advantage in that the anime was an OVA and therefore not subject to a tight television production schedule. Along with animation and all that, it also leaves a lot more time for the dub to be made.

I still didn't like Unicorn's dub though. Heck, even the original Japanese makes me want to punch quite a few characters in the faces. Banagher for example is irritating as hell in both languages.

You think so? I think it's excellent in both languages. It's certainly the best English dub a Gundam anime has ever had.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:32 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It's certainly the best English dub a Gundam anime has ever had.

Which isn't saying much. Remember Zeta's dub? Yeah, not exactly a high bar to cross.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:18 am Reply with quote
Actually, it is saying a lot. 0080's dub was probably the most solid of the lot, and 0079's really did the old show justice.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:23 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
It's certainly the best English dub a Gundam anime has ever had.

Which isn't saying much. Remember Zeta's dub? Yeah, not exactly a high bar to cross.

Well, it's not like Zeta's was the second best one. Laughing

0079, 0080, 08th MS Team, CCA, and F91 all have pretty decent English versions.

Gundam Unicorn has an excellent, all-star (for anime dubs) English dub cast including Richard Epcar, Rachel Lillis, Michelle Ruff, Michael Sinterniklaas, Yuri Lowenthal, and others, and they seem to be firing on all cylinders.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:48 am Reply with quote
Is it heresy to say that I thought that Gundam Wing had a good dub, a dub made better by how bad I honestly thought the Japanese version was (started me down the path towards "there is such a thing as a bad J-dub" enlightenment).

...do we just not talk about Gundam 00's dub or is the fan consensus just to pretend that show (or at least the WTF-fest that was Season 2) never happened? Laughing
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:23 am Reply with quote
The failure of sports anime in the US is one of my biggest regrets about the American fandom.

But speaking of sports series I am surprised Free! isn't licensed. It's short, it's Kyoani, and it has a nice sized Western fandom. I mean surely the whole sports series don't sell stigma couldn't have affected this series as well. It just seems really silly to me.
flawed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:48 am Reply with quote
The DVD vs BD is a fairly interesting topic, and Justin did a fairly good job on scratching the surface.

SD vs HD colorimetry, the fact that DVD/BD is not stored in RGB color format but in YUV/YV12. Dotcrawl [UV data being stored in Y plane], rainbowing [U transferring to the V and vice versa] were also fairly huge issues on DVD caused by cheap/bad digital transfers. Overcompression with the MPEG2 codec format used by DVDs causing blocking/color oddness. There was also the postprodcution on the digital master where many companies would mess with saturation, sharpening, and even tinting [many have shifted UV +/- giving red/green/blue/yellow color tint across the frame, the best example of this that i can think of is VIZs GTO] to "fix" or "hide" issues with the source and/or compression.
thenix

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:02 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Is it heresy to say that I thought that Gundam Wing had a good dub, a dub made better by how bad I honestly thought the Japanese version was (started me down the path towards "there is such a thing as a bad J-dub" enlightenment).

...do we just not talk about Gundam 00's dub or is the fan consensus just to pretend that show (or at least the WTF-fest that was Season 2) never happened? Laughing

I think Gundam Wing had a great dub. I've watched the show all the way through in japanese and english and I thought they were about as close as 2 different language dubs could be. It was very emotionless with most characters but it was supposed to be, whereas the characters with more character go more exciting voices. I think gundam in general does a great job, although there are a few series I'm not a fan of the dub of.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
When it comes to presentation of anything that came from an analog source, if you're talking about color tint, saturation levels, the amount of grain, the brightness/contrast levels, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS "CORRECT."
I wonder if the ripping scene will ever get this memo and stop putting out mega-bloated releases consisting of 30% anime, 70% grain.

brandonjw3 wrote:
I think the reason Hikaru no go and Prince of tennis failed in the DVD market Cause no one at that the time those shows where released wanted to spend a lot money on buying every single disc volume that came out plus Naruto and Bleach all ready and is still ruling the market.
For some reason, the anime fandom has always acted so shocked that a 75- or 173-episode series costs more than a 13- or 26-episode series.

flawed wrote:
[many have shifted UV +/- giving red/green/blue/yellow color tint across the frame, the best example of this that i can think of is VIZs GTO]
GTO was TokyoPop, not Viz.
brandonjw3

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:07 pm Reply with quote
When you say cost more do you mean for each episode to dub where ongoing series like Bleach and Naruto shippuden have a lot of episodes and still going strong The only show that I could think of that didn't have a lot episodes was the Megaman starforce anime Laughing
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:41 pm Reply with quote
flawed wrote:
Dotcrawl [UV data being stored in Y plane], rainbowing [U transferring to the V and vice versa] were also fairly huge issues on DVD caused by cheap/bad digital transfers.

That is not what caused dot crawl and rainbowing. (It happened on digipaint shows too, remember.) It was caused by transferring the video over analog composite cable.

Quote:
Overcompression with the MPEG2 codec format used by DVDs causing blocking/color oddness. There was also the postprodcution on the digital master where many companies would mess with saturation, sharpening, and even tinting [many have shifted UV +/- giving red/green/blue/yellow color tint across the frame, the best example of this that i can think of is VIZs GTO] to "fix" or "hide" issues with the source and/or compression.

Wow, you can adjust color tint after compression? That's a new one on me. And I don't think there were more than a handful of incidents where companies "messed" with the image like that. Most of them didn't even know how back in the day -- video production was outsourced to post production companies in varying amounts for at least the first half of the DVD era. Sorry, but I don't know where you're getting this stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3