×
  • remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the new ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-09-22]


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Kagemusha



Joined: 20 Feb 2004
Posts: 2783
Location: Boston
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I've always found the battle royale between Manji/Magatsu/Shira in volume 12 of Blade of the Immortal to be exilerating. It was coming off a few volumes focused on rather heavy plot or character development, and a bloodbath between a couple of anti-heros and a total psychopath was just what I needed. Any fight with Shira is in is pretty much gold just because he's such a sadist in addition to being out of his mind, so always expect extreme things. As for anime, I have a bit of a soft spot for the dogfights in Macross Plus and Zero.
I had totally forgotten about Kurau though. The first episode showed alot of promise, so I'll be rather irked if ADV doesn't release this one, or at least give a decent excuse to fans.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Dexo



Joined: 27 Oct 2005
Posts: 41
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I completely agree with Herb and his opinions.

*waits for argument*
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
britannicamoore



Joined: 05 Dec 2005
Posts: 2618
Location: Out.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:43 pm Reply with quote
to the Power Ranger guy: I too wondered the same thing.

To the Bleach rant, I agree. I mean when I frist heard the Enligh voices (Zoro? Zolo?) and Luffy I thought they sounded ok. Then I saw tha they left the dvd out and a dog must have gotten to it because I swea a whale was gone and in its place was an iceberg.

But I try not to judge based on the clips. I at least give the show five or six episodes to sway me.

Also for the Bleach rant, no the show (One Piece) doesn't stand alone. A few of my friends/family memmebers who haven't seen the Japanese Version- only heard me mention the show watched it in English.

They didn't get it. They said the plot was too choppy. It can't even stand alone, because it just doesn't make any sense. They tossed people onto ships without an clue as to how they got there.

Why did they keep the theme song for Bleach in Japanese and not Naruto? (Was it because on is on Adult Swim and the other Toonami?) If anyone knows let me know.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Malintex Terek
Guest




PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Bleach's dub is good but it lacks that "very special something" that made the original good. It's a feeling that can't be quantified; I'd think all Bang Zoom! Entertainment productions lack this quality which I call "soul", but Konjiki no Gash Bell has it and there's a spark of it in Naruto. There's absolutely none in Bleach, and I think that's why these "Bleachtards" are complaining so vocally even now after the dub has been out for two weeks.

Some would call soul "energy" but that isn't the case, as many of the actors in Naruto and Bleach have lots of energy but not this "soul".


Last edited by Malintex Terek on Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
Steventheeunuch



Joined: 10 Jun 2003
Posts: 2973
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
Bleach's dub is good but it lacks that "very special something" that made the original good. It's a feeling that can't be quantified; I'd think all Bang Zoom! Entertainment productions lack this quality which I call "soul", but Konjiki no Gash Bell has it and there's a spark of it in Naruto. There's absolutely none in Bleach, and I think that's why these "Bleachtards" are complaining so vocally.

Some would call "soul" energy but that isn't the case, as many of the actors in Naruto and Bleach have lots of energy but not this "soul".


This is easily defined as "what sounds good to you".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cowboy Cadenza



Joined: 31 Oct 2005
Posts: 243
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm a regular poster on the adult swim boards, and I lost faith in about half the other users there given their reaction both before AND after the premiere of Bleach. THIS IS A PRETTY DAMN GOOD DUB so far. There are FAR worse ones out there.

There's so much wrong with continuing the dub vs. sub argument in a day and age when a large majority of DVD releases have both the dub and the sub...so I'm not even going to get into that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime
sabriyahm



Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 286
Location: Georgia
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Herb on a lot of points. I don't understand the obsession with literal translations. It's become a new anime pet peeve of mine. Why people want them to use the phrase Death God or Shinigami when we don't use the phrase death god boggles my mind. (On a side note I have noticed the Japanese use the word god more loosely them we do. Frequently the word God in Japanese would be better translated as something like master) Translating something does not mean taking the exact words and changing them into English. It includes translating the MEANING into English as well. Take the show Saiunkoku Monogatari for example. All the episode titles are idioms like "From a Gourd comes a Horse" and "Wanting To Borrow A Cat's Paws". If the show was ever licensed the episode titles will probably be change to their equivilent English expressions. Why? Because the literal translations don't make that much sense to an English speaking audience when you translate them literally (which defeats the purpose of making all your titles wise sayings).

On another topic I eagerly await the Hellsing OVA but I have always thought the fight between Saitou and Kenshin in the dojo right before the Kyoto Arc to be the best executed action sequence of an anime. It was short but it was perfect in every way.


Last edited by sabriyahm on Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:00 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
penguintruth



Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 8081
Location: Penguinopolis
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Rant wins for use of the word "temerity".

Seriously though, the Bleach dub is okay. It's not great, but it's far from the travesty some are complaining it is.


Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:00 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Malintex Terek
Guest




PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:

This is easily defined as "what sounds good to you".


I disagree, mainly because "soul" isn't defined in sound. As I said, it's feeling of sorts; Bleach has an excellent dub in all respects with actors giving simmilar performances (great performances) in Bleach like in other shows, but even with the best of qualities Bleach doen't come off as very attractive in dub form. It's like baking a cake with the finest ingredients and machinery yet ending up with a mediocre finished product. I think movie critics call this "chemistry"; if such is the case, there's no chemistry between the actors in Bleach.
Back to top
fighterholic



Joined: 28 Sep 2005
Posts: 9193
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:01 am Reply with quote
Wow, Power Rangers. The last time I saw that show was back in 1999, and that after a four year hiatus for one time only. There's been so many incarnations, I still haven't even watched the movies.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
HitokiriShadow



Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 6251
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:02 am Reply with quote
I'm obviously not posting in the same forums as the ranter because I haven't heard much whining about the Bleach dub. Sure, there have been some people (and there always will be), but it seems to be very small compared to, say, when Naruto first aired. Based on my limited experience, most people seem to think the Bleach dub is at least decent. The biggest point of contention seems to be the use of "Soul Reaper" instead of Shinigami or Death God. The short version of my stance on the issue is that Soul Reaper is fine and a more accurate term than "Death God"

The Rant wrote:
English doesn't have an exact word for Shinigami.


The last I checked, "Death God" IS the exact literal translation.

Quote:
On another topic I eagerly await the Hellsing OVA but I have always thought the fight between Saitou and Kenshin in the dojo right before the Kyoto Arc to be the best executed action sequence of an anime. It was short but it was perfect in every way.


That remains one of the best executed fight scenes ever, in my opinion. Although The Fight in [b]The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya comes close.


Last edited by HitokiriShadow on Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:04 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cowboy Cadenza



Joined: 31 Oct 2005
Posts: 243
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:

They didn't get it. They said the plot was too choppy. It can't even stand alone, because it just doesn't make any sense. They tossed people onto ships without an clue as to how they got there.


Really? Bleach doesn't seem to be one of those anime that's really hard to understand, dub non-withstanding. Give me something like Lain or Ergo Proxy, and I'm with you...

Quote:
Why did they keep the theme song for Bleach in Japanese and not Naruto? (Was it because on is on Adult Swim and the other Toonami?) If anyone knows let me know.


I think Naruto's theme being in English is more of an exception to the rule than Bleach's being in Japanese. It seems to me that most dubs just keep the themes in Japanese; the only other dub I can think of offhand that put the theme(s) in English was Fruits Basket.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime
sabriyahm



Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 286
Location: Georgia
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:04 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:


Why did they keep the theme song for Bleach in Japanese and not Naruto? (Was it because on is on Adult Swim and the other Toonami?) If anyone knows let me know.


If I had to guess I'd say time. The Naruto opening is much shorter then the original. Lets them fit more commercials in since most anime runs a minute or two too long by half hour US TV standards. And toonamis shows do seem to run more commercials then AS shows.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Royal Devil



Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Posts: 194
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:05 am Reply with quote
Cowboy Cadenza wrote:


I think Naruto's theme being in English is more of an exception to the rule than Bleach's being in Japanese. It seems to me that most dubs just keep the themes in Japanese; the only other dub I can think of offhand that put the theme(s) in English was Fruits Basket.


And Yu Yu Hakusho
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HitokiriShadow



Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 6251
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:08 am Reply with quote
Royal Devil wrote:
Cowboy Cadenza wrote:


I think Naruto's theme being in English is more of an exception to the rule than Bleach's being in Japanese. It seems to me that most dubs just keep the themes in Japanese; the only other dub I can think of offhand that put the theme(s) in English was Fruits Basket.


And Yu Yu Hakusho


FUNI used to dub a lot of their openings but they stopped doing that (mostly if not completely) recently.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group