• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-09-22]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zetsuie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:50 pm Reply with quote
the only thing about the english dub i dont like is chad's voice personally i think its about an octive too low chad is more of a tenor voice they could have at least tried to find an actor to match the tone of the character also it would have been cool if the had a latino actor for chad seeing as how he was raised in mexico so he would undoubtedly have an accent
RDespair

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Complaining about lip synch in English dubs seems kind of silly seeing as how the lips aren't all that well synched in the vast majority of anime series in Japanese either. Even among modern, well animated anime series, most of the time mouth animation is limited to rapidly switching back and forth between an open animation frame and a closed frame.

I understand the lip synch complaint for live action stuff as well as certain animated movies where they really care about synching the voices, but for your standard anime TV show, it seems like a non issue.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
portgas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:33 pm Reply with quote
herbkir wrote:
I think the reason the sub v. dub argument goes on, despite multi-track DVDs that let you have it either way, is that the vocal, rabid dub haters just can't seem to accept the existence of the dub track at all. Some of the extremists, I think, would prefer it if the U.S. distributors didn't include a dub track on the DVDs at all.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen comments in anime discussions that assume as a matter of course that all dubs are bad. It's as if the mere existence of the dub is a blasphemy against the Gods of Anime.

In that purist view, anyone who elects to watch the dub track isn't exercising free choice, they are committing heresy. And that's what keeps this argument going. (^_*)

And just how many "vocal, rabid dub haters" are there? Isn't this a reaction to a small number of people?

I'm a sub watcher and only watch dub if there is no other option. I don't complain about dubs because I rarely watch them. And I have seen some very good dubs, GiTS SAC for one, the cast is excellent. Another good dub is Licensed By Royalty, which I never listen to because I bought it for the Japanese seiyuu. But dub will never be my primary choice.

I respect and agree with the fact that VAs and directors will be providing a interpretation of a work. It cannot replicated. But this may not be the experience I want. I know I certainly wouldn't have wanted the vulgar interpretation that ADV gave the gentle and caring Cho Hakkai in Sailyuki. Or the exaggerated homosexual parody that became Ayame in FB. If that's elitist, then I am one. I don't want this.

I saw the Bleach dub and it's fine. I don't have any problems with Soul Reapers. I think, as other's have said, that Ichigo needs more edginess. The biggest disappointment was Orihime. She came across a sweet, tiny voiced girl and not a sweet, tiny voiced, s-p-a-c-e-y girl. But it's early. And it doesn't matter, I'll watch the subs. (I understand why a VA wouldn't look at the Japanese performance but I think the original material, the manga, would be helpful.)

As far as US distributors not putting a dub track on, no way. I'm betting that with the arrival of the new generation disks with Japan and the US in the same region, some consideration will be given to keeping dub only on US releases to reduce reverse importation, subs would be on the Japanese release. I've seen a lot more movies and games out of Asia with intentional English subtitles recently.

I don't insult dub watchers and I don't want to be insulted for my sub preference.
klamsd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
luhead wrote:
Why do people who like dubs get so mad at those who don't? If you think dub haters are idiots, ignore them. All this constant whining from both sides of the argument is just getting annoying as hell.

It has something to do with the inherent problem that 99 percent of the people complaining about whatever English dub they come across don't speak Japanese on any level that would qualify them to judge the Japanese voices in any fashion.

So it's just a blind preference to whatever version you saw first rather than a legitimate love for a performance you can sincerely appreciate. It isn't really about understanding or appreciating the nuances and differences of the Japanese language, it's about claiming superiority because you saw it in Japanese first.

People who don't give dubs any sort of fair shake are deluding themselves into some bizarro superiority complex. A bad dub is a bad dub, but I'll be damned if the people who endlessly rip on any dub they come across know anything at all about performance or speak one whit of competent Japanese.

You are contradicting yourself. At one point you say that you don't need understanding of Japanese to appreciate the Japanese voices, yet in the ending statement you criticise the people who prefer dubs as they cannot "speak one whit of competent Japanese".

On the general issue of dubs and subs, I have always had one standpoint. There will always be split opinions on it, since the preference of one over the other is based on opinion - and an opinion by definition CANNOT be flawed - be it based on proper understanding of the language (Japanese) or lack of it. Because if you think that you have to know Japanese language in order to appreciate it, then you are just flattering yourself. This is especially true in the case of subs, in which the subtitles do a reasonably good of making the viewer understand what's going on despite not knowing the language.

You can't tell someone HOW to reach a judgement or base an opinion on something, because there is NO right way. Sure, some people will prefer subs over dubs - since that was how the original anime was made anyway (to be seen in Japanese) but it is true that some dubs do suit themselves better to anime (Cowboy Bebop being the best example). Anyways, thats just how opinions work. People have different ways of reaching different judgements on something. So in the end you just have to settle with the fact that people have different opinions that MAY BE different than yours - but yours isn't the "correct" one if you know Japanese or something. Yes you would enjoy the anime better knowing the original language without subs, but again it comes down to liking either sub or dub regardless of the particular voiceover. In the end what matters is that you understand what is going on in the anime, both of which dubs and subs manage to do, and ultimately decide which you like for yourself.
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Astribulus wrote:

My personal view is that, despite it being a commercial product, anime is a viable art form. As such, it should stay as true as possible to the creator's vision. This statement applies to all art forms. If a movie was shot in French, watch it in French. If an opera was composed in Italian, listen to it in Italian. The desire for understanding necessitates translation in some form, but I believe it should intrude as little as possible on the viewing experience. This may be viewed as elitist by some, but it is only my own preference.

Yes but what if it's an anime that takes place outside of Japan or just doesn't have much of a Japanese "feel" to it? The prime example of this is the Hellsing dub. Now here we have a series that takes place primarily in Britain with primarily European characters. So what fits the creator's vision better? The Japanese version or the dub that used actual British actors and other accents to the show that fit the European setting?
FlamingPinecone

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Let the record show that Hee Haw has been released on DVD format and can be seen in various informercials across most country music networks. Furthermore, as a premptive strike, The Red Green Show has also been released on DVD.

PS: most badass fight scene in recent memory would be in EVA, 01 tearing that one angel a new one and then EATING IT rules

fawhooosh!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:10 pm Reply with quote
klamsd wrote:

You are contradicting yourself. At one point you say that you don't need understanding of Japanese to appreciate the Japanese voices, yet in the ending statement you criticise the people who prefer dubs as they cannot "speak one whit of competent Japanese".

On the general issue of dubs and subs, I have always had one standpoint. There will always be split opinions on it, since the preference of one over the other is based on opinion - and an opinion by definition CANNOT be flawed - be it based on proper understanding of the language (Japanese) or lack of it. Because if you think that you have to know Japanese language in order to appreciate it, then you are just flattering yourself. This is especially true in the case of subs, in which the subtitles do a reasonably good of making the viewer understand what's going on despite not knowing the language.

You can't tell someone HOW to reach a judgement or base an opinion on something, because there is NO right way.

Uh, I think you need to reread my statement. There is no contradiction there.

Also, the rest of this is the usual "there's no such thing as a wrong opinion" and "there's no such thing as an educated opinion", which is an extremely annoying thing that people do when they don't want to ever have to admit to being wrong.

Yes, people can have wrong opinions, they can have uneducated opinions, and the opinion of an expert on Japanese language and performance is, on this particular subject, more valid and more valuable than someone who doesn't know anything about it. Your logic allows people to spew whatever garbage they want and then claim they're right because it's their "opinion" and "opinions can never be wrong!". Yes, they can. We don't live in a world of total, all-encompassing relativity, not everything on the planet is 100 percent subjective.

I've found the only people who go on and on about how their opinions are never wrong are usually the people who are the least educated on a particular subject and have been proven wrong many times in a discussion, but refuse to admit it and hide behind the flawed logic that their opinions are never, ever wrong.
zetsuie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
klamsd wrote:

You can't tell someone HOW to reach a judgement or base an opinion on something, because there is NO right way.

Also, the rest of this is the usual "there's no such thing as a wrong opinion" and "there's no such thing as an educated opinion", which is an extremely annoying thing that people do when they don't want to ever have to admit to being wrong.

Yes, people can have wrong opinions, they can have uneducated opinions, and the opinion of an expert on Japanese language and performance is, on this particular subject, more valid and more valuable than someone who doesn't know anything about it. Your logic allows people to spew whatever garbage they want and then claim they're right because it's their "opinion" and "opinions can never be wrong!". Yes, they can. We don't live in a world of total, all-encompassing relativity, not everything on the planet is 100 percent subjective.

I've found the only people who go on and on about how their opinions are never wrong are usually the people who are the least educated on a particular subject and have been proven wrong many times in a discussion, but refuse to admit it and hide behind the flawed logic that their opinions are never, ever wrong.
this is true but maybe people would admit to being wrong if they didn't have to worry about the repercussions of it cause usually the fear of admitting your wrong is embarrassement, ridicule, or having your future views ignored also i think the best action sequence ever was the fight between naruto and sasuke and if i had to pick a certain scene i would say when naruto goes 1 tail pure shonen action!
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Astribulus wrote:
The Xenos wrote:
In Japan, they don't watch anime with subtitles. They watched it dubbed in their native language. Shouldn't Americans watch anime in the same manner the Japanese do?

This is a flawed argument. Unless one is fluent in Japanese, we cannot watch it in the same manner as the Japanese do with the same level of understanding. With one choice, we get the original voices, characterization, and direction, but are forced to take some attention away from the action to read. With the other, we can watch the English language which will be simillar but still constrained by lip flaps and difficult to translate words, phrases, and jokes. Either is a viable option, but neither is "in the same manner as the Japanese do."

I am just trying to point out the flaw that sub proponents make when they argue that watching subtitles is more pure and more like how the Japanese watch anime. It really isn't. You're not coprehending the audio along with the visuals without additional visual information. The very way you interpret the dialouge is totally different. It's completely different on a neurological level than reading subtitles. This is why I comment about how the Japanese

Though you are right in saying that the English dub isn't the same as how the Japanese watch it either. There you lose the Japanese language and voice actors. Yet you gain the ability to interpret dialouge by listening to it instead of reading it. Also, hopefully the American directors and actors can properly translate the characters. Plus we gain audio cues in American dilouge that we wouldn't catch in Japanese. Even changes in gramar or pronucniation which we wouldn't get in the Japanese dub we can get in English.

Of course the dumbest argument I've heard is that watching dubs is less inteligent because you are refusing to read. Geez. My reply to that is, if I wanted to read dialouge, I'd go read the manga or novel. That is reading, not watching dialouge flash on a screen (and with fansubs it's timed by fans who have no professional experience).

Also, as for lip flaps, I think you could argue that it shows that the American animation and dubbing industry is less cheap than the Japanese. You could argue that anime is cheaper for ignoring lip flap (as well as being cheaper animation in a number of other ways). Though to be fair, I'd say it's mainly just a different philosophy towards animation and Japan just doesn't think it's worth the work.

rinmackie wrote:
As for the sub vs. dub debate, as someone already mentioned, why are we still having this debate? Now that we have bilingual dvds, we now have a choice. If you like dubs, you can watch it that way or if not, switch to sub. And if that's not good enough for you, learn Japanese!

We're having this debate because fans are whinning and bitching about the dubs that get aired on television. First I heard friends whinning about "belive it" and now I bet I'm going to hear them bitch about Bleach. Of course, this is because they stopped watching Naruto fansubs because of filler and are now watching Bleach fansubs. Of course, I think many of these 'fans', from what I've witnessed among some around me, don't buy DVDs and just watch fansubs anyway. I don't get this mentality that if you downloaded it for free, you can bitch about what you're not paying for.

Zac wrote:

You have just disqualified 90% of arguments on the internet. A winner is you.
xanbcoo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure how many people have brought this up, but it's worth saying it again: The Bleach dub is actually very well accepted among the fansub-watching community. I've seen this on more than a few message boards.

Even on Youtube, the place where people gather to bash Naruto's dub after it's been uploaded, there is an overwhelming majority of the Bleach dub's fans.
zetsuie wrote:
the only thing about the english dub i don't like is chad's voice personally i think its about an octive too low chad is more of a tenor voice they could have at least tried to find an actor to match the tone of the character also it would have been cool if the had a latino actor for chad seeing as how he was raised in mexico so he would undoubtedly have an accent

I can't agree more with this. I expect we'll hear more from Chad next week though (the episode is about him, after all). I think this will give his (seemingly unfitting) voice actor time to shine.

I also agree with portgas' point that Stephanie Sheh as Orihime is not the "spacey" girl she was in Japanese. I don't speak Japanese but I don't really need to in order to hear how completely clueless and simple she sounded. No matter which you prefer or are familiar with, some performances need no language. I feel that's a relevant point in this discussion.
klamsd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
klamsd wrote:

It may be an annoying thing, but it is true and its importance cannot be undervalued. Again you are accusing people of being wrong. Sorry but there is no such thing as being right or wrong in preference of dubs or subs. Yes, there may be such a thing as right or wrong opinions in other matters and in a wider context then definitely. But we are talking about media like anime, and in that matter opinions are merely opinions, and not factual - not in this issue anyway.

Quote:
Yes, people can have wrong opinions, they can have uneducated opinions, and the opinion of an expert on Japanese language and performance is, on this particular subject, more valid and more valuable than someone who doesn't know anything about it.

I fail to see exactly why the opinion of an expert on Japanese language and performance has any bearing on the opinion of a person who prefers either dubs or subs, and exactly what relevance this expert of Japanese language has on this matter. Guess what. Most Japanese people who do watch anime in Japanese alone without subs aren't experts either (so your point is moot), and the people who do not understand Japanese and have to rely on subs aren't experts either. But they manage to understand the show, enjoy it and the message of the entire anime is more or less conveyed to the viewer. Again, you are simply putting people with understanding of Japanese and who know the language (yourself included) on a higher pedestal of understanding on this matter. Your opinion is no more educated than any one else in this regard, because it is opinion based on preferance not facts.

Quote:
Your logic allows people to spew whatever garbage they want and then claim they're right because it's their "opinion" and "opinions can never be wrong!". Yes, they can. We don't live in a world of total, all-encompassing relativity, not everything on the planet is 100 percent subjective.

As far as opinions on scientific or solely factual matters is concerned, then yes there is such a thing as wrong opinion. But not in the matter of preferance of dubs and subs. You are taking my words into another context to fit your argument - I was talking about the issue at hand (that is dubs vs subs). People have the right to express whatever they want, and again you are labelling them "wrong" because they don't agree with you.

Quote:

Ok. Suppose I hate the Bleach dub and I like the subs. Tell me exactly why I am wrong, assuming that you disagree with me. Don't even bother, because whatever you say will be time wasted in futility. No matter how much you explain or try to presents your opinion as "educated", your opinion will just be that - a different take on the same subject.
klamsd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
No matter which you prefer or are familiar with, some performances need no language.

That's a great point you made. You may not understand what is being said in Japanese, but there is no doubt that regardless of the language or words the emotion is conveyed. And sometimes the emotion takes more importance over words - which is why some people develop a liking for subs over dubs.
Strephon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:32 pm Reply with quote
The problem in discussing the value of opinions is the failure to make a clear distinction between "I don't like X" (subjective) and "X is bad" (objective, more or less). (Sometimes compounded by the failure to tar something truly bad and something that's merely not perfect with the same brush.)

If you don't like a dub as your subjective opinion, for whatever reason, you're entitled to that and no one can usefully argue--because the only fact involved is whether it's really your opinion or not. If you're trying to make a claim with an objective element, however, it needs to have facts behind it, and can be wrong. (If there are a reasonably agreed-upon set of standards--as there are with dubs--then whether it's good or not has an objective element.)

Remember the "Flake of the Week" from a year ago from the person who claimed that the name "Naruto" was being mispronounced in the dub? Since it's being pronounce the way it is in Japanese (within any reasonable standard), just saying "My opinion is that it's a bad dub because they're pronouncing it wrong" doesn't work.
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:44 pm Reply with quote
zetsuie wrote:
i think the best action sequence ever was the fight between naruto and sasuke and if i had to pick a certain scene i would say when naruto goes 1 tail pure shonen action!

Ooooohhh! That's a good one. I may have to change my Saitou and Kenshin fight opinion. That was an awesome battle.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:59 pm Reply with quote
klamsd wrote:

Ok. Suppose I hate the Bleach dub and I like the subs. Tell me exactly why I am wrong, assuming that you disagree with me. Don't even bother, because whatever you say will be time wasted in futility. No matter how much you explain or try to presents your opinion as "educated", your opinion will just be that - a different take on the same subject.

You are almost completely misunderstanding nearly everything I say, so I'm not going to bother continuing this discussion with you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10