• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-09-22]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Also, something tells me you've never heard American VAs talk about their work or spent any time around them in person because a few minutes in to any conversation it will become abundantly clear to you that those people absolutely love what they do and care deeply about their work.

While I've already spoken to the other points, and you make some points I agree with, this is just an out and out generalization that is only partly true. I'm not going to name names, but I know voice actors who fit the profile you note above, I also know VAs who could care less and consider the role to just be a paycheck. I've spoken to some one-on-one and while none would say "I'm in it just for the money" (especially since the money ain't great) several have (in a private setting) expressed disdain for a given role OR the medium in general.

I'm sure "as actors" they care deeply about how they are seen "as actors", but there are some that don't think anime fans give a crap about their acting (and they obviously have at least SOME basis for that) and thus they don't really care about those roles. I'm sure they're professional in the same way a programmer can crank out code he doesn't care about. It's functional, but they don't give a crap how it's seen or what you think of it as long as it gets the job done and I get paid. Some directors (of late) have even SAID that sometimes they DON'T go for the "best actor" or even the "best fit" but instead for someone who can "hit the mark" in the least number of tries. Which is why a small number of actors are used for so many roles. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the Japanese do the EXACT SAME THING, but I don't think all American voice actors have a deep caring of the material.

(as I said, I'm not going to name names, but I DO know several off-hand that at LEAST can "fake it" very well if they DON'T have the genuine interest and affection for anime and their roles that they appear to have. If they DON'T have that actual interest, then there's no arguement about their acting)
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:44 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the Japanese do the EXACT SAME THING, but I don't think all American voice actors have a deep caring of the material.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I know that.

But people assume ALL dub VAs are like that because it's easy and lazy to be cynical and uninformed.
angieness

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm still very confused as to why the dub vs sub arguement still exists as DVDs have given you the choice between dub vs sub. You're perfectly capable of buying 95% of all anime and just turning on the subtitles and hitting the language button to hear it in Japanese. I would actually care if a dub really sucked if I still had to decide between buying a cheaper dub VHS or a more expensive subtitled VHS. I've watched all of Bleach in Japanese and I really enjoy the dub, I also thought the promo was fine.

I worked for Suncoast for 2 years up until it closed and I don't think anything in this world annoyed me more than having a swarm of 14 year old girls enter my store and start blindly hating on dubs. I constantly heard what another person in this thread mentioned, 14 year olds whining about their precious anime being on Toonami/Adult Swim. If I brought up that I enjoyed a dub, these 14 year olds would suddenly get arrogant and act as if I don't know what I'm talking about. I mean heaven forbid I've been into anime for half of their lifetime, I couldn't possibly know anything because I enjoy a dub.

Anyways as for my favorite fight scene in anime is the same as the person who wrote in. Asuka fighting the angels in End of Evangelion still blows me away. That scene has yet to be topped in my book. As an animation major I'm always in awe over how beautifully animated it was.
Zython

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I followed the Bleach fansub for 64 episodes up until it was licensed. My opinion is that the dub is pretty good. While Ichigo's voice IMO doesn't really sell his headstrongness, at least I can get used to it. The only problem with Rukia's voice is that it seems a little too soft for her, but compared to what else could have gone wrong, that's not a big deal. However, I did not like Kon's voice. It makes him sound suave where the only way he should be suave is in his own imagination. Other than those minor grievances, pretty good all around. Just my $0.02.

As for my favorite action sequence, the one that comes to the top of my head is from the Hunter x Hunter manga:
spoiler[Hisoka's vs. Kastro]
It was a great battle and showed how awesome Nen is. There are a bunch of others that I liked, but that one stands out to me for some reason.
silver_omicron

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Eventually, the world will see Herb's comments on directors interpreting scripts in their own way and they will realize he is correct, until that point, however, we will still have Bleachatards.

I think people need to stop addressing the original as canon. The original production is not canon, the screenplay and script are. What you seen on the television is the presentation of the series to the Japanese viewer and truthfully nothing more. It still tells a story, once translated you can communicate that story to the world, and that story comes out of the script, even when spoken in Japanese, English, Spanish, Greek, or Chinese, it is still that exact same script.
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm sorry that you're incapable of hearing changes in tone and detecting speed-ups and slowdowns in word production. It must suck being an anime fan when you hear everything as if a computer were speaking it.

Apparently we're talking in extremes here.

The cadence and flow, as you like to call it, is not the same in Japanese and English. I can hear changes in tone and detect speed-ups/slowdowns in word production, but as someone who doesn't know Japanese fluently, I couldn't tell you whether or not those changes make for a good or bad performance. It's not the same thing as English.
Minai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:59 pm Reply with quote
This has nothing to do with whatever argument I'm sure is raging (as always), but I just wanted to say:

Quote:
Making money is not an evil pursuit, and not everything they do is designed to irritate the fanbase

Amen, brother.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Kilgamayan wrote:
Even if the idea that the Japanese put forth more effort into voicing than their English counterparts is flawed (and I imagine this would be rather hard to prove one way or the other), it is certainly a perfectly acceptable to form the opinion that the Japanese do a better job. As someone who loosely follows seiyuu, I direct you to the various roles of Miyuki Sawashiro. Compare her work as Puchiko from Di Gi Charat (a role she did when she was 14) to that of Mint Blancmanche of Galaxy Angel to that of Kotarou Higuchi of Pita-Ten to that of Khi from DearS to that of Akane Serizawa of Pani Poni Dash! to that of Sara Gallagher from Mai Otome. If you listened to all of them without knowing beforehand, you would be astounded to learn that they're all the same person (outside of PPD! episode 1 where Serizawa has a very Mint-ish feel). Not only does she make every one of these characters sound different, but the voice she chooses seems to hit all of her characters dead-on, and the wave of emotions her voice rides is stellar (this is particularly notable with Mint, Kotarou and Serizawa). Combine that with her good singing and you have someone who's really hard to compete with no matter what language you speak.

And I'll counter this with an excellent English VA example: Laura Bailey. She's Marlene in Blue Gender, Henrietta in Gunslinger Girl, and Tohru Honda in Fruits Basket, among many other prominent roles. These roles are nothing alike, yet she (arguably) nails all three. In fact, I consider myself to be quite knowledgeable about English VAs but was shocked to find out that she had voiced the latter two roles after hearing her much colder and harsher performances in Blue Gender and as Alv in Kiddy Grade. And her performance as Sana in Kodocha proves that she is quite skilled at singing/rapping even while doing one of her "voices."

As for judging dubs in general, there are certainly times when it's possible to tell whether a dub is good or bad even without comparing it to the original. Green Green is a superior example of this; I watched the dub first, and was cringing at its badness within the first couple of minutes - and I'm a pretty widely-acknowledged "dubbie." After you've watched enough series both ways it's also not that hard to tell when a dub is really good without needing comparison; amongst recent series, Speed Grapher immediately comes to mind. Based on that experience and no familiarity with the original Japanese, I'm inclined to say that Bleach comes off pretty well in the dubbing department.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I love Laura Bailey. She also played Lust in FMA and did a fabulous job in my opinion.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the rant. The Bleach dub isn't my favorite dub ever (although part of this, I think, is that I haven't seen the Japanese version, so I don't really know the characters themselves well yet), but I still definately wouldn't call it a "bad dub", particularly along the lines of One Piece. This dub is probably pronoucing the Japanese words the best out of any anime dub I've heard yet (I should note that I've only studied Japanese for a year), and the voices fit well. Sometimes it feels like the performances aren't very emotional, but I think part of it is they're not quite comfortable with the performances yet. (Well, that and both Ichigo and Rukia seem like they're not really the emotional type, anyway.)

As for the mention of the voice actress who has an amazing range...there ARE american voice actors that can do it, too. Tara Strong and Tom Kenny are two EXCELLENT examples, although they typically do more 'mainstream' voice work. At the moment I can't think of an anime dubber that quite has their range, the only one I'm coming up with at the moment is Wendee Lee. But, still, that's not a uniquely Japanese talent--it's not like good actors only exist across the ocean.

(Although you COULD argue that the 'good' american VAs tend to be snatched up by the well-paying, mainstream studios like Cartoon Network and Disney and you don't get them as much in anime, but that's ignoring some of the excellent actors that regularly perform in anime dubs, like Vic Mignogna, Crispin Freeman, Luci Christian, Laura Bailey, etc etc)

As for the Shinigami/Soul Reaper stuff...I kinda think 'Soul reaper' is a bit cheesy sounding, but I think it fits what they actually are better than "Death God", which brings to mind images of Hades for me. Anime hyper The best term I can think of to explain them in english would be "Angels of Death", even though that's not quite right either...

EDIT: Oh, duh, how did I forget about Laura Bailey when I was talking about voice actors with amazing range. Anime hyper Lust AND Tohru...geez. I even mentioned her later in the post...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
2. This is an anime Q&A column on an anime website called "Anime News Network". Power Rangers is not anime. I'm waiting for someone to ask me when they're going to release Hee Haw DVDs.

Check here for said DVD's. Rolling Eyes Some people I guess do not realize this is a site about a thing called "anime", neither Hee Haw or MMPR are considered in any sense "anime" Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
kizoku

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:48 pm Reply with quote
silver_omicron wrote:
I think people need to stop addressing the original as canon. The original production is not canon, the screenplay and script are. What you seen on the television is the presentation of the series to the Japanese viewer and truthfully nothing more. It still tells a story, once translated you can communicate that story to the world, and that story comes out of the script, even when spoken in Japanese, English, Spanish, Greek, or Chinese, it is still that exact same script.
I agree that one translation (ie. subbing) is not the word handed down simply because you heard it first. The other half, that everything is in the script, I have to disagree with. The tone of voice, the pacing, the inflections; all of these carry almost as much meaning as the words themselves and much more of the emotions.
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:25 pm Reply with quote
kokoroAngel wrote:
I find that a show's setting also affects my enjoyment of it.
I won't be able to watch Inuyasha, Bleach(during SS arc) or Saiunkoku Monogatari in english dub, because I find it weird and awkward for people in eastern feudal clothes and settings to be speaking english. I much prefer these shows in the original Japanese or dubbed in Mandarin Chinese.

On the other hand, I would watch english dub if the anime had a slight futuristic/western setting like Gundam or Cowboy Bebop. I prefer english dub for these shows due to the technical terms and all the engrish words which pop up occasionally. The chinese dub of Gundam Seed sounded really awkward when I watched my vcds.

Wow this is a good point that I never thought about. Now as I look back I do this too. I watched Noir and Infinate Ryvious in English because the Japanese language seemed weird in the setting. I always watch historicals in the original Japanese. Overall though I tend to prefer subs.
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:29 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:

I realize some people will disagree, but I honestly don't really "get" why they even bother translating something like "Shinigami". We all learned what "samurai" and "ninja" and (to an extent) "shinobi" mean, I think people could learn to deal with "shinigami", or just think it's some made up word like "evangelion".

The difference between Samurai or Ninja and Shinigami is that there is no real English Equivilent. We don't have samurai or ninja's in western culture so we don't translate the word and call them what they are originally called. However we do have an English equivilent for Shinigami-Grim Reapers or Soul Reapers. Hell in some Japanese anime the Shinigami even carry the scythe just like they do in English culture. That's why we translate it. By the logic you use we basically shouldn't translate any nouns.
jousha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if I'm the first to say this, but I doubt it's the VA that's the problem for Bleach (especially in its low viewer response), although the so-called "Bleachtards" would refuse to believe otherwise:

Others may have forgotten, or disagreed upon, the fact that Bleach was mediocre at best in the beginning. Even in subtitle format, the series didn't kick in to the "good" slot for me until around the 8th or 9th episode--and then it got increasingly better once the other Shinigami were brought into play.

I think reviewing the first episodes again in English has forced fans to recall its weak beginning.

But then there are others who just hate dubs in general--my brother, for instance (he can't stand them).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10