• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Japan-International Co-Productions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

And as for my New Years Resolutions... is it bad that I actually really do just want to watch more anime?

Not at all. I voted for that too, although I don't make actual new year's resolutions. I do want to get my backlog cut way back though, seeing as it's at 800+ discs right now. If I can get down to the low 500's by the end of the year I'll consider it a rousing success.

And probably treat myself by buying a ridiculous amount of anime from the TRSI Christmas sale.

Haha, glad to hear that I'm not the only one. I pretty much have the same reasons. I don't have discs lying around, but I do have hundreds of shows in my "Want to See" backlog and it just keeps growing, I really want to get it down so I can start watching more current season shows.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:43 pm Reply with quote
A good portion of 1980s TV animation, especially syndicated after-school stuff largely based on toy properties but even some Saturday morning cartoons (everything from Muppet Babies to ALF), had the animation grunt work farmed out to Japan. I guess Dungeons and Dragons is as representative of this trend as any show, but I'd have gone with Pole Position, the most obviously "anime" of the animated-in-Japan-but-not-really-"anime" 1980s coproductions.

Some Japan-European co-productions like Mysterious Cities of Gold and the Canadian-Argentinian-Japanese Cybersix are mysteriously absent from this list. For that matter, so is Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, where the actual stop-motion work was one hundred percent shot in Japan.

For the poll I chose "other" because they didn't give an option for "I don't waste time making New Year's resolutions I know I won't keep".

Last edited by Tenchi on Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:43 pm Reply with quote
publicenemy333 wrote:
Slight correction, there is no Japanese dub of Afro Samurai. They watched it in English with Japanese subtitles

There's plenty of errors here, take this...

Quote:
6. Dungeons & Dragons The late 80s television anime series might be considered a precursor to the more current X-Men, Iron Man, and other Marvel animated properties. Toei Animation produced Dungeons & Dragons with Marvel Productions and TSR (now Wizards of the Coast) for CBS.

The show actually aired from 1983 to 86 initially on CBS, and not all the episodes were done by Toei since I recall a Korean studio did a few episodes (use to see that when I was 6 in '83). I don't think Toei had much input on the look of the show since most of that would've been handled by Marvel back home, though it is a tricky topic to discuss when it comes to simple "Runaway Productions" of the 80's. Marvel also did Muppet Babies, G.I Joe and Transformers with Toei as well. Hell Toei animated episodes of The Jetsons!

mdo7 wrote:
Oh boy, I hope this thread doesn't get derailed and it turns into a "what is anime, and what is not anime" and people soapboxing that The Last Unicorn, Little Nemo, and Dungeon & Dragons should not be on the list and bashing ANN for doing this.

Also I want to add other that should be considered as anime:

Mighty Orbots-this co-productions was directed by the late Osamu Dezaki.

I would let that one go simply for his involvement and the often-said similarities the show had to Godmars that came before.

Quote:
Mega Man- This show was a co-production between Japan and US (Ruby-Spear) and I think this was directed by Japan.

That one's tricky to since there was still preliminary design and script going on here from the US side of things.

Quote:
Skysurfer Strike Force- This show was a co-production between Japan and USA. The second season had a intro sang by the J-rock group, Super Junky Monkey and this was for the US.

Both this and Mega Man were done with Ruby-Spears I believe, they were known mostly int he 80's for such gems like MR. T, Thundarr the Barbarian, Centurions, Alvin and the Chipmunks to name a few.

rederoin wrote:
I'm kinda surprised Alfred J. Kwak is not on the list. Oh well.

This list is too American-centric I feel. Europe alone had it's share of co-produced cartoons for 4 decades, going back to the likes of Vicky the Viking, Maya the Bee, Dogtanian, Willy Fog, Ulysses 31 and more. Mike Toole touched on this with his article you can read here..
animenewsnetwork.com/the-mike-toole-show/2011-10-23
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Disappointed by the lack of Moomin series on the list.It was important project since it was essentially a training ground for Rintaro and Masaaki Osumi,who both became very influential anime directors.
There was remake of that show in 90s also,and that particular adaptation was really big in my country.Which is why I was pretty surprised and amazed to see that some talented individuals like Masayuki Kojima and Yasunori Miyazawa worked on itIt is nice to know that as a small kid I had nice taste.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:52 pm Reply with quote
StudioToledo wrote:

mdo7 wrote:
Oh boy, I hope this thread doesn't get derailed and it turns into a "what is anime, and what is not anime" and people soapboxing that The Last Unicorn, Little Nemo, and Dungeon & Dragons should not be on the list and bashing ANN for doing this.

Also I want to add other that should be considered as anime:

Mighty Orbots-this co-productions was directed by the late Osamu Dezaki.

I would let that one go simply for his involvement and the often-said similarities the show had to Godmars that came before.

Well another animation Bionic Six was also done by Osamu Dezaki, and this show has been compared to Cyborg 009 in term of premise and similar storyline.

StudioToledo wrote:
Quote:
Mega Man- This show was a co-production between Japan and US (Ruby-Spear) and I think this was directed by Japan.

That one's tricky to since there was still preliminary design and script going on here from the US side of things.

Quote:
Skysurfer Strike Force- This show was a co-production between Japan and USA. The second season had a intro sang by the J-rock group, Super Junky Monkey and this was for the US.

Both this and Mega Man were done with Ruby-Spears I believe, they were known mostly int he 80's for such gems like MR. T, Thundarr the Barbarian, Centurions, Alvin and the Chipmunks to name a few.

Well that one will be debatable if it's considered anime or not. Ruby Spears had a lot of work done with Japan, so a lot of anime fans even to this day if these past animation should be considered as anime. I mean Halo legends, Batman: Gotham Knight, and The Animatrix can be considered anime despite co-productions with USA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I would have thought of IGPX and Oban as well for the list, but it's nice to see other shows get mentioned. If this thread shows anything, it's that there have been plenty of co-productions over the years. I think it really comes down to what you're looking for to qualify as a co-production if you want to keep the list short.

Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
Probably not high on the notability list but I really liked the original IGPX micro series and would have liked to have seen that given a full treatment. I haven't seen the full IGPX series which I know is different so won't comment as to if it's good or not but the original did have some great potential. Even as short as it was it was very entertaining.

I really liked the original micro series too. I've seen both, but prefer the original concept to what it became. The full series wasn't bad, it just felt more generic.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:02 pm Reply with quote
For this week's poll, I selected "Other", and my resolution (as much as I follow such things) is to "Become a Better Person." Neat, but vague... yet still attainable. Razz
Jave

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Hmm whether you wanna call them anime or not, I notice these co-productions always mirror American cartoons in terms of writing style and content levels. None of them ever have as much graphic content as anime does, and the way they're written is pretty standard western cartoon fair in being pretty simplistic and episodic. I think it's because the whole selling point of co-productions is more for Americans than anyone else. Cartoons ape anime a lot more than anime ape cartoons so it seems like just a marketing thing and what will attract people to their shows which would explain why none of these shows are ever popular in Japan. It's only us westerners that get into a huge toss over 'is it anime or not?'. And let's be honest here.. people spend more time arguing 'anime or not' then they do actually discussing the shows themselves Laughing
ReverseTitan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Jave wrote:
Hmm whether you wanna call them anime or not, I notice these co-productions always mirror American cartoons in terms of writing style and content levels. None of them ever have as much graphic content as anime does, and the way they're written is pretty standard western cartoon fair in being pretty simplistic and episodic. I think it's because the whole selling point of co-productions is more for Americans than anyone else. Cartoons ape anime a lot more than anime ape cartoons so it seems like just a marketing thing and what will attract people to their shows which would explain why none of these shows are ever popular in Japan. It's only us westerners that get into a huge toss over 'is it anime or not?'. And let's be honest here.. people spend more time arguing 'anime or not' then they do actually discussing the shows themselves Laughing

Yup, Alan Gabriel being killed by a rogue robot is the same as something from Monsuno. Give me a break. Also, episodic=/=bad. Big O is episodic, yet crushes most modern anime/western cartoons in terms of storytelling and development. Same with Superman TAS. Also, most early anime looked a lot like Disney or Fletcher work, so yeah, it's not like anime has looked so distinct all the time. Even Big O's character designs are a mix of Lupin III and Batman TAS(though not as detailed). Also, the reason these shows aren't popular in Japan is A. They never get released there and B. They are only available on satellite channels.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:33 pm Reply with quote
What about Transformers G1 and Armada?

And there's a handful of co-productions between Japan and France like Moero! Top Striker, A Little Princess Sally, and The Twins of Destiny.
Gehirn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Where are the Production I.G collaborations ? Many more people have seen Kill Bill, Animatrix surely should be here, and more recently IGPX between them and Cartoon Network.
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm missing some Japanese-France Co pro's especially Ulysses 31.
But i really want to re watch that dungeons and Dragons series i already thought it was Japanse-ish without knowing it for sure.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I had no idea that SAC and the second season of Big O were international co-productions... But man, I do love Dungeons & Dragons and The Last Unicorn. A rewatch of both is long overdue.

rederoin wrote:
I'm kinda surprised Alfred J. Kwak is not on the list. Oh well.

Same. I have very fond memories of that show and will watch reruns whenever I happen to come across one (a local cartoon channel airs episodes daily).
kurowa-san

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:08 pm Reply with quote
No Interstella 5555? For shame.
grooven

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:09 pm Reply with quote
YES Last Unicorn is the best thing ever. I love that movie Very Happy Would watch and rewind and watch over and over.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5