• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Japan-International Co-Productions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Ortensia1980 wrote:
I had no idea that SAC and the second season of Big O were international co-productions...

I knew about Big O, but not SAC. I'd be interested to hear more about that. Was it also funded by Cartoon Network?
UtenaNicoletta

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Then there's First Squad: The Moment of Truth, which has Russian dialogue and was directed by a Russian director but was animated in Japan. It's a bad movie, but at least the animation is nice.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:00 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Also I want to add other that should be considered as anime:

Mega Man- This show was a co-production between Japan and US (Ruby-Spear) and I think this was directed by Japan.

There's also the Street Fighter cartoon which Graz Entertainment (US) was involved with but unlike the failed Darkstalkers cartoon, this show had it's animation done in Japan with Madhouse for season 1 & Sunrise for season 2.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:10 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
There's also the Street Fighter cartoon which Graz Entertainment (US) was involved with but unlike the failed Darkstalkers cartoon, this show had it's animation done in Japan with Madhouse for season 1 & Sunrise for season 2.

Actually, Sunrise also did several episodes in season one (half that season, Madhouse did the other half).
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Jave wrote:
Hmm whether you wanna call them anime or not, I notice these co-productions always mirror American cartoons in terms of writing style and content levels. None of them ever have as much graphic content as anime does, and the way they're written is pretty standard western cartoon fair in being pretty simplistic and episodic. I think it's because the whole selling point of co-productions is more for Americans than anyone else.

The real excuse for those like Dungeons & Dragons is merely needing a place overseas to handle the "grunt work" in, as American studios, especially after several strikes in 1979 and '82 decided to go overseas than to deal with union workers back home. These things are still primarily scripted and designed back home unless otherwise noted, usually the studio overseas is never given much creative freedom as much as the budget calls for them to get it finished and shipped back.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runaway_production

This could vary elsewhere in the world where I feel such productions like Ulysses 31 and other European classics probably didn't have much flak from those European companies and those tend to seem more like co-productions with the Japanese studio often more control over certain artistic or storytelling directions.

Quote:
Cartoons ape anime a lot more than anime ape cartoons so it seems like just a marketing thing and what will attract people to their shows which would explain why none of these shows are ever popular in Japan. It's only us westerners that get into a huge toss over 'is it anime or not?'. And let's be honest here.. people spend more time arguing 'anime or not' then they do actually discussing the shows themselves Laughing

Can we just call them cartoons? Laughing

Ortensia1980 wrote:
I had no idea that SAC and the second season of Big O were international co-productions... But man, I do love Dungeons & Dragons and The Last Unicorn. A rewatch of both is long overdue.

You can thank America's love in Big O for allowing that second season to happen.

Quote:
rederoin wrote:
I'm kinda surprised Alfred J. Kwak is not on the list. Oh well.

Same. I have very fond memories of that show and will watch reruns whenever I happen to come across one (a local cartoon channel airs episodes daily).

You're lucky to see it at all. That show had potential of being a hit here in the US as I see it (the fact the character designer behind this also worked for Disney makes it a shoe-in, too bad he passed away a while back). I see an English dub was produced though it was handled by some UK group and it's what it is I say (I could picture the Intersound guys behind this one like they did on Dogtanian and Willy Fog).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDCHcPhaW-g
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:43 pm Reply with quote
man, the ending of the second season of Big O is so bugnuts insane, it really makes me wish they got to make more of it just to see what the hell they would do next
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:16 pm Reply with quote
SarcotarascusN wrote:
Then there's First Squad: The Moment of Truth, which has Russian dialogue and was directed by a Russian director but was animated in Japan. It's a bad movie, but at least the animation is nice.

First Squad is gorgeous. It's basically my perfect anime movie, apart from not being any good. I'm also amused that the Japanese dub they did later is pretty respectable and the English dub they did later is lousy, and that the original language dub is the best. Not that I'd extend this comparison at all; it's just interesting to note.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:21 pm Reply with quote
New Year's Resolution is to do more time management the most. So far, things are going well. Planning and not procrastinating at lot is making me finish more things than usual.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Transformers really is a better representative of 80's co-op work between the US and Japan than D&D is because it works on so many different levels and continues to today after 30 years. You've got Hasbro, Marvel, and Takara working on the toy line and fiction and Marvel, Sunbow, and Toei working on the cartoon. This went on for many years until Hasbro stopped producing toys in the US, but kept the line running in the UK alongside Takara while Takara also kept the cartoon going.
On the animation front Hasbro and Takara have continued to partner up on shows, most notable is the Unicron Trilogy (Armada, Energon, Cybertron), though individually produced shows from both sides have been released to the other like Car Robots and Animated. Current exceptions include Takara Tomy's Transformers Go! and Hasbro Transformers Prime: Beast Hunters. Strangely enough even though the Marvel comics weren't released in Japan, Takara Tomy has done two Masterpiece figures from them: King Grimlock and the upcoming G2 Sideswipe.

Transformers is the ultimate cooperative work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:54 pm Reply with quote
tasogarenootome wrote:
Ortensia1980 wrote:
I had no idea that SAC and the second season of Big O were international co-productions...

I knew about Big O, but not SAC. I'd be interested to hear more about that. Was it also funded by Cartoon Network?

Manga Entertainment provided some of the funding on the S.A.C series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kakugo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:03 am Reply with quote
No KITE LIBERATOR? I'm disappointed...

(In Kite Liberator. Not at Lynzee for forgetting it existed.)
stipekfilm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:41 am Reply with quote
Hmmm...

The Last Unicorn was not made for British television - it was produced entirely for an international theatrical release in 1982. It sold best in the United States. I'm also surprised The Flight of Dragons is missing from this list; once again, a Rankin/Bass Production like Unicorn (and/or Topcraft)
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:54 am Reply with quote
stipekfilm wrote:
Hmmm...

The Last Unicorn was not made for British television - it was produced entirely for an international theatrical release in 1982. It sold best in the United States.

It was released through Lew Grade's company ITC (some of us may recall that logo during the initial syndication airings of The Muppet Show in the states). I've often heard the film was far more popular in Germany than here in the states, were it became an annual festival treat on television during Christmas.

Quote:
I'm also surprised The Flight of Dragons is missing from this list; once again, a Rankin/Bass Production like Unicorn (and/or Topcraft)

Arguably you might also include the Tolkien specials that were also done by Topcraft as well, all these films were pretty much handled by Topcraft for Rankin/Bass.
stipekfilm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:56 am Reply with quote
StudioToledo wrote:
stipekfilm wrote:
Hmmm...

The Last Unicorn was not made for British television - it was produced entirely for an international theatrical release in 1982. It sold best in the United States.

It was released through Lew Grade's company ITC (some of us may recall that logo during the initial syndication airings of The Muppet Show in the states). I've often heard the film was far more popular in Germany than here in the states, were it became an annual festival treat on television during Christmas.

Quote:
I'm also surprised The Flight of Dragons is missing from this list; once again, a Rankin/Bass Production like Unicorn (and/or Topcraft)

Arguably you might also include the Tolkien specials that were also done by Topcraft as well, all these films were pretty much handled by Topcraft for Rankin/Bass.

Ahh... very good points. I forgot about the ITC logo; after I posted I went and did a Wiki search on the film. You're correct. Major following in Germany!

Funny, my production company is working with Michael Chase Walker, the producer of The Last Unicorn. More info on that here:
www.examiner.com/article/new-project-announced-by-trico-films

Thanks for the clarification StudioToledo Very Happy
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:00 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one laughing sadly at the poll results showing Sailor Moon in second place for most expected, just the day after it's delay is confirmed? I know the poll was conducted before the announcement, but it still makes me sad.

For new year's resolution I voted "travel more". I'm a really sedentarian person with a newfound thirst for adventure and I'd really like to get to actually seen more of the world out there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5