• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - New Year's Resolution

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:56 pm Reply with quote
My backlog really ballooned over the past year or so, when I apparently made it my mission to buy almost every sci-fi Bandai Entertainment release I could get my hands on. (Seriously, I probably own 2/3 of their overall DVD release slate by this point.) There are still a few I'm half-thinking about trying to chase down still (mostly the type that you feel like you should really watch first before deciding to spend money), but I have so many full Anime Legends sets as-is that I've been easily dissuaded. Couple that with this year's wallet-pounding RightStuf holiday sale, and whatever other hold-overs I have, and it's getting overwhelming. The worst part is that I tend to watch shows at a comparatively glacial pace, an episode per day at best, so I don't know how long all of this will possibly take.

(And don't even ask me about all the stuff I need to rewatch...)
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I definitely have a backlog, and I'm similar to Mike in that I keep buying more stuff as they come out... But I've kind of resigned myself to the idea that I'll always have a backlog (this also applies to video games & manga, too, so it's essentially a triple backlog!). If anything, one day I'll be at a part of my life where I won't be able to buy this kind of stuff like I can right now; when that time comes I'll at least have plenty to watch.

Similar to what Mike brought up about talking about potentially talking about a title in every Mike Toole Show article he'll be doing, that's kind of what my own blog has doubled as, since a lot of what I've reviewed there has come from my backlog, including those Gaiking movies (Mike is right; those movies are such a cheesy & fun watch, if a little tiring due to their length). Admittedly, this kind of results in me not keeping up with brand new shows as they are airing, but I know I'll get to them eventually.

I'm having fun as it is going through my backlog, slow as it is, and then writing about how I felt about each title I see; it may not be "brand new" or "recent", but it's still enjoyable.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote
The main ones that come to mind are:

* Infinite Ryvius
* Monster
* Kodomo no Omocha 2nd season (junior high years)
* Hyouge-mono
* Garden of Sinners (after finishing the books)
* Dear Brother

I know there's much more, including quite a few Japanese live-action movies, but that's what comes to mind off the top of my head, and it's plenty. The cost of anime in R2 Japan helps put the brakes on a lot of spending that I might otherwise do, and recent anime's swerve away from the kind of material I like helps too.

My truly pathological backlog is of Japanese SF/fantasy/light novels. Book-Off sells old ones for 105 yen a pop, so that stack is huge and ever-growing. I made it through twelve of them in 2013. Twelve. Whenever I finish one, I pull out whatever looks interesting to decide what I'm in the mood for next, and most of the time that number alone is more than twelve. It's pretty clear that even if I live a long, healthy life, I'll never finish them all.

And I'm okay with that. I wouldn't want to finish them all, because I'd like my headstone to say something better than "Well, he certainly was entertained." I like the cover art, and enjoy collecting them as physical objects. I'm sure that someday a day of reckoning will come for The Stack, but for now I'm more or less at peace with it.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
My backlog consists of:

-Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamers
-Diamond Daydreams
-Tekkaman Blade
-Birdy the Mighty: DECODE
-Slayers, Slayers Next and Slayers TRY
-Shamanic Princess
-Evangelion

Part of the reason why I'm so behind is because I leave my DVDs at home while I go to my dorm during the school term. I'd take them with me, but the DVD player on my laptop doesn't read discs anymore. I'd watch them at home, but my freaking television set died on me not two days after I finished watching Capt. Herlock: Endless Odyssey--and there are no other working TVs in the house.

I really wanted to watch Tekkaman Blade this winter break, too.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote
As I've mentioned elsewhere, my backlog is way out of control, to the point where if I get it pared down to 500 discs, 2014 will be a massive success. It currently stands at 340 titles consisting of 853 discs, so I certainly have my work cut out for me. Will I ever get caught up? At this point, it's seeming unlikely.

And Mike, where on earth did you find that mythical Galaxy Angel Rune vol. 4? I've long been on a quest for that, and if you ever get tired of staring at it, I'll gladly buy it off you!
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I've watched all the DVDs I currently own. I just don't have any backlog. Of course, with how bad things have gotten, I don't have the luxury of acquiring any series I want to watch.
No Comment

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, my backlog is smaller going into 2014 as opposed to when we entered 2012 and 2013. In the Fall I had a buildup of manga that I wanted to sell back to a Half Price Books, so I tried to nail some of my anime pile before I went there. In about 3 months, I plowed through Nadesico and its movie, Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales, Patlabor: The Movie, Nightwalker, Boogiepop Phantom, Ergo Proxy, The Skull Man, and Infinite Ryvius. Not many shows, but it was most concentrated stream of backlog unlogging I've done.

I would continue, but I get distracted so easily. My backlog binge almost stopped early because I really wanted to watch Armored Trooper Votoms. I did and continued with my pile afterwords, but usually I'll be watching my DVDs and hear about some other show that I really want to watch, I won't be able to get it out of my head until I do so. Not to mention I've left shows I want to see from the last few seasons unwatched and clogging up metaphorical tubes. Jojo's, Free, Silver Spoon, Genshiken 2nd Season, Outbreak Company, Kyousigiga, and more. I would watch them after they would actually finish airing, but once again I get distracted by more enticing fruit. My virtual backlog is probably worse than my physical one now.

For me, it's also inconvenient because my laptop has no disc drive, so I have to lug around my portable DVD drive if I want to watch some anime between classes on campus, or wait until I get home. Most of my backlog now just consists of longer series. I've tried to get out of the habit of blindbuying things except in situations of great sales or finding something rare cheap, and movies. Anime movies are pretty easy to watch as soon as you buy them. As of now, I stand at

-Record Of Lodoss War Complete Collection
-Samurai Pizza Cats Complete Collection
-Slayers Seasons 1-3
-Soul Eater Complete Collection
-Those Who Hunt Elves Complete Collection
-Twelve Kingdoms Complete Collection
-Zeta Gundam Collections 1 & 2

Not many shows, but still over 300 episodes. Wow, I think that just made me less motivated. Right now, I'd love to watch something from there, but I've been eyeing to watch the Patlabor OVAs/series on TAN, Blue Gender on Youtube, Fang Of The Sun Dougram, or something complete different that I'll decide to watch at the last minute. Life goes on

Last edited by No Comment on Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:59 pm Reply with quote
....You've inspired me to take pictures of my own backlog. I ended up needing two pictures! Sure I could've fit them into one like yours but I had less room I suppose. Some of those are actually complete sets that I re-structured into single boxes (see Betterman, S-Cry-Ed, Nadia)

Some of these are new arrivals from the Right Stuf yearly wallet rape (Soul Taker, Genma Wars, Tide-Line Blue, My-Hime, all came in from around Xmas time, as did some non-Right Stuf bought things like G-Gundam). But some of that's been around for a while, like poor Glass Mask, which I've seen half of (and ended its own arc quite well), but Sentai refusing to release the second half on DVD has me spooked (even if it is all on hulu or whatnot). I've also only seen half of Tiger & Bunny and just get too distracted to return, even though I loved it to death!

That's Fist of the North Star set 3 btw. I blazed through the first two sets and.... well spoiler[Rei and Toki are both dead] and that kind of put a hamper on my excitement to see it.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:22 pm Reply with quote
My rule is that if there is a sequel or new season of that show (or even game) coming out, I make it my business to go through the old, in preparation of the new. Its more fun that way.

I'm going through soul eater, because NOT is on the way.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how big my back log is and I'm not sure I want to know. It would probably depress me. I will say I'm probably up there with Sailor S in amount of stuff I need to watch. My initial reaction to what Mike has pictured is that isn't much of a backlog.

I have watched the first few episodes of most of what I have, but I tend to get distracted and not get back to it. This was worse in the days of singles when it might be months before you got the next disk. The problem is that when I do try to watch an old show, something new comes in and I move to that. I've watched the first couple episodes of several shows three or four times.

Oh well, it is a hobby not a class assignment, I'll watch them sometime, or maybe not. Doesn't matter.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:50 pm Reply with quote
It seems I'm the minority in that I only buy series that I've watched and would want to watch again so I never have any physical backlog.
clawfinger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:06 pm Reply with quote
My backlog of Xbox 360/WP/Win8 games is well over 60. I recently got back into comics so that backlog is just getting crazy. And of course the anime backlog is horrid. Stuff I've had for over 10 years and I also keep getting new stuff.

It would be a full time job to get any of these backlogs done but oh well. I still got decades left to do them all.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Thankfully, I don't have that big if a backlog of anime. What I do have, however, is a fairly large backlog of video games that have either never been finished, or even started in some cases.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I've also got Sakura Wars TV on my backlog, although I did finish the OVAs ADV & Funimation put out. Probably got the same amount of shows, with around 40 that I'd like to mark off my backlog.

A few of the ones I can think of are:
- All Purpose Cat Girl Nuku Nuku TV & Dash
- Blue Gender
- Spice & Wolf
- Jubei-chan
- Saber Marionette J to X(got through J & J Again, but stopped with this one)
- School Rumble Season 1 & 2
- Sorcerer Hunters

Looking at some of them, makes me wonder why I didn't get to them. I mean, I've gotten through all 4 "seasons" of UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie and every Tenchi show Funimation has put out besides War on Geminar(yes, even Tenchi in Tokyo).

I know some of them are crap, but I'd rather get through them just to watch them before(or if) I decide to get rid of the discs. Probably going to put the simulcast stuff on hold until the end of the season for this backlog, since I pretty much know what to keep an eye on by now.

Sadly, I bet a few of them are going to be so bad or boring that they'll have me crawling back to the simulcast shows. So I know I likely won't be able to finish my backlog this year.
Aizen-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:25 pm Reply with quote
deathfromabove1993 wrote:
Let's see I have not finished Irresponsible Captain Tylor
You should probably start with that. Smile

deathfromabove1993 wrote:
I bought but have yet to watch Wolf's Rain, The World of Narue, Le Chevalier D'Eon, Iria, RG Veda, Kids on the Slope, Angel Beats, PSG, Grave of the Fireflies and Now and Then, Here and There.
Wolf's Rain I bough unseen, paying far too much for some of the single volumes, and so I think part of the reason I'm not a big fan of the show is because it really wasn't worth what I paid for it.

Now and Then, Here and There I have not watched but I own on VHS and DVD. I bought the 1st VHS tape (dirt cheap) to try it, but I never got around to watching it. Then I saw the DVD with all the episodes (also dirt cheap), and figured, what the hell, I'll get it. But that's the kind of show I have to be in the right mood to watch, and it seems whenever I'm in that mood there's always something else...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5