• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: JAST USA: Licensing Starry Sky Games Is Unlikely

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:00 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:
Hmm, I remember a guy from XSeed saying once that for some reason voice actor contracts for games in Japan can be extremely draconian, which is why getting audio in them can be an issue. Guess stuff like this can also be a reason.

Not only that, sometime Japanese video game (and anime) OSTs get cut out from overseas release (this happen to several Tales game). Yeah Japan tend to be overpricey and they don't play fair when it comes to releasing their product overseas.

Is that the reason why they didn't use the original themes for Symphonia and Abyss? I was wondering why they were able to use Bonnie Pink's song (with vocals) in Tales of Vesperia as opposed to the completely different instrumental other than Starry Sky in Symphonia and the karaoke version of the Bump song in Abyss.

Someone on here explained to me that this was the reason Yoko Takahashi's themes for Project x Zone weren't released internationally.
Yause

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:27 pm Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:

Is that the reason why they didn't use the original themes for Symphonia and Abyss? I was wondering why they were able to use Bonnie Pink's song (with vocals) in Tales of Vesperia as opposed to the completely different instrumental other than Starry Sky in Symphonia and the karaoke version of the Bump song in Abyss.

It's a matter of how much you're willing to spend on rights negotiation (requires time, legal resources, and connections) and licensing. On a shoestring budget, it's far easier to say "Screw this!" and replace a song with something else. This was quite common when localizing PSOne era Japanese RPGs, which were regarded as low potential titles.

On the other hand, if your market is adequately large with expectations of strong sales, the expense might be justified. For whatever reason, Namco Hometek didn't want to spend much during the PS2 era. Not only did they drop songs, but localization budgets were sometimes too small to dub every part of a game in English.

mdo7 wrote:
Yeah as I said, Japanese industry don't play fair and this is why other Asian countries (South Korea and Taiwan) with their pop culture export are winning more fans around the world then Japan. At least those countries don't put draconian restriction unlike Japan.

It depends on one's perspective. Japanese industry conventions give greater rights to agencies and independent voice actors (and famous ones exercise those rights well), so they're more equitable in that regard.

Naturally, each group/individual wants to control and maximize the value of their work, which poses some problems (whether logistic or financial) for licensing.
feuerwerke

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Welp. I'm glad I don't really play otome games, then. But this is still sad news for visual novel fans as a whole. At least those are finally starting to get some footing here.

Also hey Peter Payne maybe you should try licensing some yuri games. Just a thought.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:36 pm Reply with quote
feuerwerke wrote:
Welp. I'm glad I don't really play otome games, then. But this is still sad news for visual novel fans as a whole. At least those are finally starting to get some footing here.

Also hey Peter Payne maybe you should try licensing some yuri games. Just a thought.

Its called xchange yin yang alternative. And they are not going to be able to get something like kisses for petals or katahane, and those are the only ones that have translations and unless a new title comes out and gets a project started no one is probably not going to get translated.

And people I am sorry that nitro plus chiral is directed by gen urobushi they are going to have the same problem, I mean the games alone are still 45 to 70 used in japan, they sell to well and they don't want a cheaper us release. In compression steins gate is currently available for 30 new, and around 15 used.

I am somewhat surprised jast did not go the koi hime musou route and say if it sales x then we will get the rights to the voices. This does not surprise me at all, they routenly have major problems with japan and the idea that the music or voice acting are just as expenise as the game itself.

I have tried very hard to get more quality titles for girls however there is a serve shortage of stuff, due mostly to it not being translated or it being only for PSP or android or to short to justify importation.

The other major problem is that it is my experience that even the actually good games like starry sky and nitro plus chiral don't sell that well at all. Alice in the country of hearts sells the best but even that does not sell great. The major problem with starry sky is it is really short per game and makes it hard to justify the price, and then nitro plus chiral have the opposite problem really. It is hard to say sorry this game is almost 100 it is really expensive in japan, and they just come in a dvd case verus the traditional box.

The best selling stuff is around 35 if its domestically translated and 60 if it is imported.starry sky would have to be around 50 probably, and any nitro plus chiral would be around 80.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:39 pm Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:
Hmm, I remember a guy from XSeed saying once that for some reason voice actor contracts for games in Japan can be extremely draconian, which is why getting audio in them can be an issue. Guess stuff like this can also be a reason.

Not only that, sometime Japanese video game (and anime) OSTs get cut out from overseas release (this happen to several Tales game). Yeah Japan tend to be overpricey and they don't play fair when it comes to releasing their product overseas.

Someone on here explained to me that this was the reason Yoko Takahashi's themes for Project x Zone weren't released internationally.

Well, I never understood how overseas restriction from Japan work. I know Tales is not the only game that suffer from this, but other games had soundtrack cut out for overseas release (I think this Gundam game had soundtrack modified for oversea release) because the soundtrack that are in the game expensive to release outside of Japan and also the company that own the soundtrack for the game don't want it release outside of Japan (which baffles me because some people said Japanese music entertainment practice are xenophobic when it comes to oversea practice). Also if the video game or anime soundtrack is done by any Johnny's Entertainment artists expect that to be cut out for international release. As I said, I'm 100% not quite accurate on how Japan's license restriction work.

Yause wrote:
wonderwomanhero wrote:

It's a matter of how much you're willing to spend on rights negotiation (requires time, legal resources, and connections) and licensing. On a shoestring budget, it's far easier to say "Screw this!" and replace a song with something else. This was quite common when localizing PSOne era Japanese RPGs, which were regarded as low potential titles.

On the other hand, if your market is adequately large with expectations of strong sales, the expense might be justified. For whatever reason, Namco Hometek didn't want to spend much during the PS2 era. Not only did they drop songs, but localization budgets were sometimes too small to dub every part of a game in English.

That could be one factor, yeah localizing and dubbing these games from Japan weren't cheap and some sacrifices have to be made. But I also think that licensing soundtrack from Japan can be expensive too. I mean a J-pop CDs in Japan can cost over 40 US dollars.

Quote:
mdo7 wrote:
Yeah as I said, Japanese industry don't play fair and this is why other Asian countries (South Korea and Taiwan) with their pop culture export are winning more fans around the world then Japan. At least those countries don't put draconian restriction unlike Japan.

It depends on one's perspective. Japanese industry conventions give greater rights to agencies and independent voice actors (and famous ones exercise those rights well), so they're more equitable in that regard.

Naturally, each group/individual wants to control and maximize the value of their work, which poses some problems (whether logistic or financial) for licensing.

Well how does it work, because I can't find any article on the Behind the scene for Japanese entertainment industry and how it work. So do they play fair or can there be conflict between agency and industry that makes it hard to license products outside of Japan. So what is it that makes Japanese entertainment not wanting to play fair on the international level? Do Japanese entertainment business not get along really well even in Japan?

I know that product from Japan can be overpricey, that's all. Also is it true that Japanese entertainment industry is xenophobic like what I've heard from several ANN users. There still stuff about Japanese entertainment industry I don't understand and I don't want to go off topic over this.

Last edited by mdo7 on Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yause

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:18 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

Well how does it work, because I can't find any article on the Behind the scene for Japanese entertainment industry and how it work. So do they play fair or can there be conflict between agency and industry that makes it hard to license products outside of Japan. So what is it that makes Japanese entertainment not wanting to play fair on the international level? Do Japanese entertainment business not get along really well even in Japan?

The hurdle is the self-interest of each person or group who has some ownership in the product. It's not that the industry is against licensing content outside Japan, but to do so, a company must make agreeable arrangements with the various "stakeholders".

Voiceover licensing would be simple if the publisher had total control over how recordings are used. They pay a single fee for the work, make as much use of it as they want, and nobody complains.

However, the Japanese custom is that every individual gets some ownership over his or her lines (or acting performance, in the case of TV dramas). If they're represented by an agency, then the agency owns those rights. This means that the agency or individual (in the case of freelance talent) has the power to demand certain conditions, such as a minimum fee when lines are reused in a related work/localized export.

Now we come to self-interest. For argument's sake, let's say that "Actress A" normally charges $100 for her lines to be licensed. That's the going rate that companies are willing to pay, whether they're a console game publisher in America, a local company in Japan, or a film distributor in Hong Kong. While she might be cool with her lines being reused in a French PC game port, she compromises her own value and bargaining power if people discover that she charges someone less. Consequently, software distributors in France must meet her $100 price tag if they want her lines.

Licensing is quite possible if a market is large enough to justify the expense. For instance, Japanese dramas are broadcast in Taiwan/Hong Kong/Singapore/etc where distributors can afford to meet actor/agency conditions. However, small companies exploring very niche or untapped markets would run into problems.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:33 am Reply with quote
Yause wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

The hurdle is the self-interest of each person or group who has some ownership in the product. It's not that the industry is against licensing content outside Japan, but to do so, a company must make agreeable arrangements with the various "stakeholders".

So it's not xenophobia which make the company reluctant to license their product outside of Japan, right? Can these "stakeholders" be more open-minded or learn something from their other Asian counteparts (Korea and Taiwan) so it can be easier for J-dramas and other product from Japan to be license outside of their native country. Products from South Korea and Taiwan don't have any difficulty with that.

Quote:
Voiceover licensing would be simple if the publisher had total control over how recordings are used. They pay a single fee for the work, make as much use of it as they want, and nobody complains.

However, the Japanese custom is that every individual gets some ownership over his or her lines (or acting performance, in the case of TV dramas). If they're represented by an agency, then the agency owns those rights. This means that the agency or individual (in the case of freelance talent) has the power to demand certain conditions, such as a minimum fee when lines are reused in a related work/localized export.

I can see why this make it's harder for certain games like Starry Sky to be license outside of Japan. They really need to reform those so this doesn't cause any redtapes/restrictions/tanglement.

Quote:
Now we come to self-interest. For argument's sake, let's say that "Actress A" normally charges $100 for her lines to be licensed. That's the going rate that companies are willing to pay, whether they're a console game publisher in America, a local company in Japan, or a film distributor in Hong Kong. While she might be cool with her lines being reused in a French PC game port, she compromises her own value and bargaining power if people discover that she charges someone less. Consequently, software distributors in France must meet her $100 price tag if they want her lines.

I have to ask: How do you know all this stuff, do you work for the Japanese entertainment industry or something? Because you seem to have a lot of inside knowledge on this, that no English-language anime publication has ever done any research or get first-hand on how Japanese entertainment industry work. If you do have knowledge on how Japanese entertainment industry work, then you should maybe talk to Zac and Justin (the admin and host of ANNcast) on future ANNcast because I don't fully understand (and so do other anime fans on ANN) how the Japanese entertainment industry work and it would be insightful for us on ANN to know more about it. Zac and Justin would love the inside knowledge of Japanese entertainment industry.

Quote:
Licensing is quite possible if a market is large enough to justify the expense. For instance, Japanese dramas are broadcast in Taiwan/Hong Kong/Singapore/etc where distributors can afford to meet actor/agency conditions. However, small companies exploring very niche or untapped markets would run into problems.

Now this last part is interesting, because I don't know if you know this. When Korean dramas got popular outside of Asia, other Asian countries like Taiwan, Mainland China, and Singapore started to put English subtitles on their dramas and export them to non-Asian countries to "cash in/ride on" on the drama fad that K-dramas created. Like for example, in Latin America, Korean dramas are very popular in that area. Because of that, Taiwan exported several of their dramas where it got dubbed in Spanish and shown. I mean Taiwan definitely cashed in on the drama fad in South America when Japan didn't. I mean does Japan know they can get more money from not only Asia but also South America, USA, Middle East, and Eastern Europe (where K-dramas are very popular in those area). I mean if Japan know there are audiences for dramas including J-dramas in areas outside of Asia, then why didn't Japan export their dramas to South America, Middle East, and Eastern Europe to cash in/ride on the drama fad their Korean counterpart created? How come I see less then 10 J-dramas on streaming sites (Crunchyroll, Viki, Dramafever) when those same streaming sites have over 1,000+ K-dramas and 55+ Taiwanese/Chinese-language dramas. I mean people who watch K-dramas will also end up watching other Asian dramas so there maybe a big audiences outside of Asia for people to enjoy J-dramas, why didn't Japan export J-dramas in large numbers if there is big audiences for J-dramas since people are watching K-dramas and other Asian dramas? Again, I think Japan is either xenophobic or this is another example of Galapagos Syndrome when it comes to exporting their dramas outside of Japan and Asia. I hope you can give some good explanation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:48 am Reply with quote
mdo7, every now and then, I see your views on Korea and Tawian/China (mostly Korea, though) being reported as a form of soapboxing. Personally, I hardly spend anytime in Talkback to read everything everyone says (aside from reports). But I see enough reports from various users that seem to get irked by the way you always use Korea as your go-to example as the "premier entertainment capital and business model of Asia," so to speak. It's fine and dandy that you possess the knowledge of said country's industry to debate about things, but reports have also stated occasional grievances about your knowledge de-railing topics.

So if you could please be a little less Korea-centric (or at least no so "in-your-face" about it), it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Tony K. on Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
mdo7, every now and then, I see your views on Korea and Tawian/China (mostly Korea, though) being reported as a form of soapboxing. Personally, I hardly spend anytime in Talkback to read everything everyone says (aside from reports). But I see enough reports from various users that seem to get irked by the way you always use Korea as your go-to example as the "premier entertainment capital and business model of Asia," so to speak. It's fine and dandy that you possess the knowledge of said country's industry to debate about things, but reports have also stated occasional grievances about your knowledge de-railing topics.

So if you could please be a little less Korea-centric (or at least no so "in-your-face" about it), it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tony K, I apologize if it looks like it. It wasn't my intention to do this. The user Yause has some inside information about how the Japanese entertainment industry which I myself and other people on ANN are very interested to know. I'm very curious to know more about how the Japanese entertainment (both live-action, and voice acting work) operate and to fully understand how the licensing the voice-actors thing work so we can get a full understanding why Starry Sky is unlikely to go to US and the complication behind it. The last part on my last comment about K-dramas and Taiwanese dramas wasn't my intention to de-rail the thread or soapboxing, I wanted to understand the Japanese entertainment operating on licensing products outside of Japan and to see what kind of obstacles and difficulties these products from Japan face when trying to go outside of Japan.

Again, I apologize and it wasn't my intention to do this. I wanted to know more about the Japanese industry and Yause seem to have some inside knowledge on it.
Yause

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:37 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

I have to ask: How do you know all this stuff, do you work for the Japanese entertainment industry or something?

No, I just heard an explanation, as well as some licensing stories, through people who worked for MangaGamer, and Atlus USA. On one particular project, the inability to add Japanese voices boiled down to a single voice actress (playing a key role) who wouldn't bend in terms of her minimum fee.

mdo7 wrote:
Now this last part is interesting, because I don't know if you know this. When Korean dramas got popular outside of Asia, other Asian countries like Taiwan, Mainland China, and Singapore started to put English subtitles on their dramas and export them to non-Asian countries to "cash in/ride on" on the drama fad that K-dramas created. Like for example, in Latin America, Korean dramas are very popular in that area. Because of that, Taiwan exported several of their dramas where it got dubbed in Spanish and shown. I mean Taiwan definitely cashed in on the drama fad in South America when Japan didn't. I mean does Japan know they can get more money from not only Asia but also South America, USA, Middle East, and Eastern Europe (where K-dramas are very popular in those area). I mean if Japan know there are audiences for dramas including J-dramas in areas outside of Asia, then why didn't Japan export their dramas to South America, Middle East, and Eastern Europe to cash in/ride on the drama fad their Korean counterpart created? How come I see less then 10 J-dramas on streaming sites (Crunchyroll, Viki, Dramafever) when those same streaming sites have over 1,000+ K-dramas and 55+ Taiwanese/Chinese-language dramas. I mean people who watch K-dramas will also end up watching other Asian dramas so there maybe a big audiences outside of Asia for people to enjoy J-dramas, why didn't Japan export J-dramas in large numbers if there is big audiences for J-dramas since people are watching K-dramas and other Asian dramas? Again, I think Japan is either xenophobic or this is another example of Galapagos Syndrome when it comes to exporting their dramas outside of Japan and Asia. I hope you can give some good explanation.

TBH, I don't know too much about how the Korean TV industry works. I would guess that the contracts with Korean performers give them less leverage, plus there may be less protectionism in terms of keeping domestic value high.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Yause wrote:

No, I just heard an explanation, as well as some licensing stories, through people who worked for MangaGamer, and Atlus USA. On one particular project, the inability to add Japanese voices boiled down to a single voice actress (playing a key role) who wouldn't bend in terms of her minimum fee.

Yeah I've heard this multiple times too. A lot of the times you can't get the Japanese audio track in a game unless every single cast member gives you an OK.

...and apparently some actors actually have clauses in their contracts that basically say "If this game is brought overseas, your voice is not allowed to be used in that version".
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:23 am Reply with quote
Yause wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

I have to ask: How do you know all this stuff, do you work for the Japanese entertainment industry or something?

Oh, and for a minute I thought you had some inside knowledge on Japanese entertainment. Also if you have any URL link on how you get that info, that would be nice. I like to learn more about licensing issues when it involved voices.

Yause wrote:

TBH, I don't know too much about how the Korean TV industry works. I would guess that the contracts with Korean performers give them less leverage, plus there may be less protectionism in terms of keeping domestic value high.

Well, I don't know what to say, but I can say the Japanese entertainment don't play it fair (that's my observation and also observations from other ANN user that have knowledge or expert on Japanese licensing) when it comes to international and globalization for their product. I mean do Japanese celebrities and voice actors/actresses in Japan don't want to get international celebrity status?? I mean why would voice actor/actresses in Japan need an OK/approval for their voice to be use for international license, that doesn't make sense. You don't see American TV shows removing a certain supporting characters when they get exported because they don't have this restriction. Why would Japanese companies have this ridiculous protectionalism when it comes to exporting their product, when the companies know it could give their voice actors good publicity/attention outside of Japan and also why put a lot of ridiculous and expensive prices for licensing/exporting the Japanese voice-acting. I never understand that, they don't need that much money from westerners. Restriction like this is why fans of Japanese pop culture criticized Japanese entertainment for blocking or restricting their entertainment when license for international consumption.

I'm a 7 years anime/manga/J-whatever fans and I just became a big Hallyu/K-pop fans last year. But my impression from looking at how Japan and South Korea dessiminate their pop culture content to the world, and after seeing how both differ when it comes to releasing content. I can say this: South Korea play the marketing/globalization game better then Japan when it comes to pop culture product ,and I say this as a 7 year anime/manga fan. I wish Japanese companies could stop the ridiculous restriction they put on their product when they export outside of Japan. South Korea doesn't do this when they export their product.

To Tony K or any moderators if you are reading this, I apologize if I go slightly off topic again but I'm trying to keep it in scope and within parameter pertaining to this thread. In other word, I'm trying to get a better understanding on how all this process in Japan work. It'll help me understand the industry in Japan better If I was asking the user about it.

Shenl742 wrote:

Yeah I've heard this multiple times too. A lot of the times you can't get the Japanese audio track in a game unless every single cast member gives you an OK.

...and apparently some actors actually have clauses in their contracts that basically say "If this game is brought overseas, your voice is not allowed to be used in that version".

I have to ask: What kind of country that came up with this practice and why does Japanese industry have this clauses for?? How does it benefit or help the industry?? I mean I don't see this for other countries other then Japan, I mean we don't put a "If South Park is exported to other countries, Stan Marsh is not allowed to be seen in non-US version" clauses when we export TV shows, music to other countries. I mean I don't understand why is that there for in Japan??
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2