• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Girls und Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trilaan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:32 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

What makes you think it's a matriarchal society?

Well, first of all tanks are considered to be "the art for young girls with a long history." Therefore tanks are considered feminine, which is actually said outright in the tankery video shown at the school as well as by one of the characters. So, if tanks are considered feminine, very likely warfare is considered to be a more feminine pursuit. Also in the tankery video, the crowd is mostly made up of males practically fawning over the apparently all female tank crews in the parade, which we can assume would also be a common sight for soldiers returning from wartime and being a soldier is primarily a traditionally male career.

And so, if females are most responsible for making and fighting in wars, females are most likely those in primary charge of the governments as well, ergo a matriarchy.

To get more in-depth:

The part that says tankery has a long history with females is the first indicator that the society presented in the first episode is matriarchal one, due to the length of time it takes to establish such a thing(more on this later). It's also said that "Modern guys like girls that are strong and dependable." In our world this view is traditionally the exact opposite. Furthermore, the video says that tankery is supposed to make women, among other things, more gallant, and gallantry has been more traditionally known as a male trait and used to describe how men should treat women.

These first(the history of tankery) and last two indicators(government and male/female relations) do not happen overnight but are part of a long process of societal growth that takes hundreds or thousands of years to develop.

So that's why I think it is a matriarchal society, based on what I saw in the first episode.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:40 am Reply with quote
^
It's an interesting theory and you make a good case for it, but I personally don't think you're right.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:10 am Reply with quote
trilaan wrote:
So, if tanks are considered feminine, very likely warfare is considered to be a more feminine pursuit.
I don't think that this is so. The moeblobs that we see here are using tanks that are downright ancient, that would serve no purpose on the battlefield and are only remotely similar to modern tanks, let alone the battlefield tanks likely developed with the tech shown in the series.

The video for Tankery also made no mention of Tankery making girls into better soldiers, only into better wives, mothers, students and workers.

I believe that it is a pretty big jump to go from "women using outdated tanks in a school competition" to "society where women fight the wars and occupy the positions of power"
trilaan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:11 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
It's an interesting theory and you make a good case for it, but I personally don't think you're right.

Thank you for the kind reply, even if you don't agree. Now, even if I'm proven wrong about that specific part of the society we see, it still holds true that I'd rather see how the society itself came about because I find it much more interesting than a story about girls with tanks. I bet it would be quite an epic story.

Echo_City wrote:

I believe that it is a pretty big jump to go from "women using outdated tanks in a school competition" to "society where women fight the wars and occupy the positions of power"

Well, if schools are not a good indication of an overall society, I don't know what is. Love your term "moeblobs" BTW.
Banken

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:24 am Reply with quote
I have yet to watch the series but I'm pretty sure senshadou (tank-fu) is just a more interesting (to military otaku) stand-in for soujutsu, the art of the naginata (Japanese halberd), which is the traditional martial art of women in Japan.

But really it's just an excuse for moeblobs to drive tanks.

Just like Upotte! was an excuse for moeblobs to shoot assault rifles and So Ra No Wo To was an excuse for moeblobs to shoot battle rifles and drive tanks.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:39 am Reply with quote
One cannot freely use the term "moeblob" on an English speaking forum without inciting the nature that said writer more than likely has a prejudice against said moe themed series.
mdreura

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
So Ra No Wo To was an excuse for moeblobs to shoot battle rifles and drive tanks.

It's been a while, but I can't remember any rifles being fired at any point in Sora no Woto, and the emotionless girl just manages to get the tank up and running in time for the last episode. The show's mostly about a girl learning to play the bugle.

You're dismissing it without ever having seen it, aren't you. Rolling Eyes

Never change ANN forums.
Banken

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:09 pm Reply with quote
No. I'm not. I liked Upotte! and Soranowoto. I used the term moeblob because it's funny.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:55 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
One cannot freely use the term "moeblob" on an English speaking forum without inciting the nature that said writer more than likely has a prejudice against said moe themed series.
Are you sure that you just aren't reading into things too much? I don't believe that's a very reliable heuristic as "moeblob" is such a convenient and apt term to describe these sort of characters and shows that my first inclination is to believe that even those who have an undying love of these sort of shows use the term.

Personally, I'm tired of moeblob as there are just so many and so few of them are actually innovative: If you've seen one, you've pretty much seen 'em all, and if you've seen K-On! (as I have, several times) then you've seen pretty much the best that they have to offer. Also, due to the underage-looking character designs when moeblob shows get really fanservicey (which GuP is said to not) it gets really creepy IMO.
Banken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:09 am Reply with quote
...that's because moe show characters are almost always underaged. So it should be creepy regardless of how they look. The difference is that K-On girls, for example look at least three years younger than they are.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:40 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
I don't believe that's a very reliable heuristic as "moeblob" is such a convenient and apt term to describe these sort of characters and shows that my first inclination is to believe that even those who have an undying love of these sort of shows use the term.

They don't. Please stop using it.
southplumb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:38 am Reply with quote
I didn't get a sense that Girls und Panzer was about a matriarchal society, though I could see it being matrilineal, with women doing most of the work. I didn't realize at first that it was a women's school and that that giant ship was the school, so when the girls went into the bowels of the ship, I was looking for a male crew, or morlocks. I liked the series and the main characters, but their world, which got hit by quite a few tank rounds, took a lot of suspension of disbelief.
rydia251

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Finally watching GuP for the first time, was waiting for the BD (I am a patient SOB, considering I was a WWII history nut when I was a teenager).

I love cute things, but a pink M3 makes me want to kick a puppy. I can deal with a StuG III being translated as Assault III (which was even referred in the first episode as a "Pz III with assault gun", sort of correct but still not really correct...), but pink tanks...

Otherwise the genius who devised the combination of cute girls and tanks deserves a medal or three. Is Sensha-boner a word yet?
Banken

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:55 am Reply with quote
Think about it this way... in real life it takes a huge investment of time and money to keep a vintage tank in operating condition. It's not going to have the original paint, regardless. Most vintage Panzers still in existence were dragged out of swamps after being left there for decades. So what's the harm of painting it pink? At least the owner isn't letting it rust or cannibalizing it for parts.
rydia251

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:14 am Reply with quote
Well, all right. I guess I can accept that reasoning. The bigger crime would be allowing it to rust. Anyway back to booze and girls and tanks! Halfway through!

"Woodhouse - do we have any lube? Seriously even olive oil would work at this point." - The Incomparable Sterling Archer (paraphrasing, but pretty close). Too bad he doesn't know his tanks. But he knows his booze and women. Close enough.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5