• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Ultimate Anime Hero is Basically Undefeatable

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:26 pm Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:

(So, Light is a "hero" for carrying the Death Note? Okay, I'll mark that down for future reference.)

...well, he was in his own mind.
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I lost it at the Bleach diss. Worth watching just for that.
Alexander55

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:17 pm Reply with quote
I don't like this. I know this is meant to be a "parody" designated for the Anime crowd but we know that most Fox viewers are not Anime fans and can take this the wrong way. I'm kinda worried of the backslash this parody series would have in portraying the Anime medium as a joke to the mainstream public. I mean, most people don't even have a clue of what those series are and if they watch this, they'll be more inclined on not even trying those series at all, all because of some gary-stu kid that wields all of the power/abilities/trademark weapons of those iconic characters and their series.

And plus, I don't know...it feels wrong that some poorly thought out character is using the main abilities and weapons from all those Anime characters. Its just wrong and robs them of their identity in the form of a "parody."

Plus did Fox even bother getting permission from Viz, FUNimation, Aniplex and their Japanese partners for the use/reference of all of their properties? Or does American law allow this as long as its satire/parody?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:10 am Reply with quote
Alexander55 wrote:
Plus did Fox even bother getting permission from Viz, FUNimation, Aniplex and their Japanese partners for the use/reference of all of their properties? Or does American law allow this as long as its satire/parody?

It's called "fair use."
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:01 am Reply with quote
Parody is protected under the copyright laws of most countries.

But it has to be an actual parody... doujins and fanfictions are in a legal grey zone because most of the time they could be considered derivative works (i.e., if you didn't know better you could confuse them for the original).

This is an obvious parody. As is the Scientifically Accurate Pokemon (which made me roflcopter).
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:20 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
God, I f*cking love Heather Anne Campbell. :D

Did you ever read her anime reviews in the now-defunct US "Play" magazine? She had a Code Geass review whose central thesis was basically "this is loud, immature, and subtle as a jackhammer, and that's exactly what's great about anime action shows."
Tylerr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
Tylerr wrote:
bleach is better than 90% of the garbage animes they churn out these days.

Hilarious stuff otherwise.

No, the IDEA of Bleach is better than 90% of the anime they churn out these days. You seem to forget that the Bleach lasted longer than 90 episodes...

Like Alfred says in The Dark Knight, "you either get cancelled while you're still a good series, or you stay on the air long enough to become a parody of yourself."

How long a show lasts has nothing to do with whether or not its good or bad. (Although they are obviously doing something right when they stay on air for so long)
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:

How long a show lasts has nothing to do with whether or not its good or bad. (Although they are obviously doing something right when they stay on air for so long)

Bleach was great for the few couple seasons, and had a few good ones after that, but all the filler and the tacked-on final story arc just ruined it.

The manga isn't quite done yet, but Kubo should have called it a day after Aizen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3