• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, January 6-12

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:15 am Reply with quote
Whats with everybody saying KlK did bad? 8.7k+ first week are amazing sales, most anime are lucky to sell that much. V1 will probably reach 10k at this rate. Unless v2 has a huge drop, KlK will probably end up in the top 10-15% best selling anime since 2000.

How the hell is that bad?

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Though, Infinite Stratos doing is 26,601.

IS S2 v2 only did 15k in its first week. v1 was cheaper and included a OVA.

Polycell wrote:
mistress_kisara wrote:
What is Kyoani's normal budget then? Rolling Eyes
Are you disputing that their budgets are typically higher than normal? Or do you somehow think that KnK's sales were good?

5k is not bad. Even for a Kyoani show. Although we will get a big drop with v2(around 3k-3.5k first week), so we are looking at sales that will be around Tamako market levels. But since that one got a movie, its not really a failure.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:39 am Reply with quote
ultimatemegax wrote:
Polycell wrote:
Are you disputing that their budgets are typically higher than normal? Or do you somehow think that KnK's sales were good?
Please provide proof that a budget for a show whose animation production was handled by Kyoto Animation is higher beyond the normal budget for a show whose animation production was handled by someone else. Simply saying "Look at it" proves nothing.

It's easy to get caught up in the "armchair" thing. Though compared Yamada's and Utsumi's director debut with their respective sensational hits, Ishidate's looks pretty damn iffy. It'll be nice for Kyoukai no Kanata to get a S2 with a much improved screenwriting and direction and pull a Symphogear.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:55 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
That's why vol 2 had a massive drop of 10k sales (~16k).

rederoin wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

15k still places it at number one on the list, unless that's also the combined numbers. And it's still nothing to sneeze at when it doubles the sales of much hyped Kill la Kill.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:00 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
That's why vol 2 had a massive drop of 10k sales (~16k).

rederoin wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

15k still places it at number one on the list, unless that's also the combined numbers. And it's still nothing to sneeze at when it doubles the sales of much hyped Kill la Kill.

I'm obviously talking about the combined numbers.

But the point is that its a huge drop from S1.
dark-kyon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:19 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
ultimatemegax wrote:
Polycell wrote:
Please provide proof that a budget for a show whose animation production was handled by Kyoto Animation is higher beyond the normal budget for a show whose animation production was handled by someone else. Simply saying "Look at it" proves nothing.

It's easy to get caught up in the "armchair" thing. Though compared Yamada's and Utsumi's director debut with their respective sensational hits, Ishidate's looks pretty damn iffy. It'll be nice for Kyoukai no Kanata to get a S2 with a much improved screenwriting and direction and pull a Symphogear.

KnK v1 has a event ticket though, the other volume's will sell less.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:28 am Reply with quote
ultimatemegax wrote:
Polycell wrote:
mistress_kisara wrote:
What is Kyoani's normal budget then? Rolling Eyes

Its the eyetest. You can easily look and tell its budget and production values are higher then most shows out there. You don't need to have access to KyoAnis records to find out how much they spent to know its above average.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:04 am Reply with quote
Yeah, unless they're somehow just doing more work for less money, the budget is on the screen for KyoAni productions.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:25 am Reply with quote
Kill la Kill did very good, but I also expected more sales, maybe 5k more with BD/DVD sales combined. Kyoukai no Kanata did the numbers I expected, not bad but not that good. And why am I not surprised that WATAMOTE bombed.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:40 am Reply with quote
Kill la Kill outdid its sales expectations and people still aren't happy? I'm surprised it sold as well as it did
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:52 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
ultimatemegax wrote:

Its the eyetest. You can easily look and tell its budget and production values are higher then most shows out there. You don't need to have access to KyoAnis records to find out how much they spent to know its above average.

At the same time, we can also point out that Attack on Titan recruited more animators (meaning more cuts), so it also had a high budget, yet it's difficult to tell that due to its time restraints. Budget means nothing if you don't have proper scheduling (see A-1 Pictures over the last year and a half). Kyoto Animation made an action-heavy show while maintaining key animators in the single digits is amazing due to incredible scheduling; it's not due to the budget they allotted themselves for that show.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:57 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
It'll be nice for Kyoukai no Kanata to get a S2 with a much improved screenwriting and direction and pull a Symphogear.

I'd like this to happen. I watched KnK for the animation and fell in love with it by the last ep. There's more story to tell there, and if it can be told well, more people will watch it.
But the show is selling poorly compared to KyoAni's bigger hits. Even if they don't make more KnK, I hope KyoAni isn't discouraged from producing more fantasy anime in the future. Their gorgeous animation style shouldn't be reserved for SoL shows!
immblueversion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Kill la Kill outdid its sales expectations and people still aren't happy? I'm surprised it sold as well as it did

I'm not at all well versed in the sales and reception of anime in Japan. How well did people expect Kill la Kill to sell?
lolitsronald

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Wow. And people said that Tamako Market was KyoAni's dissappointment... Tamako Market vol sold ~500 more copies than Kyoukai.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:17 pm Reply with quote
lolitsronald wrote:
Wow. And people said that Tamako Market was KyoAni's dissappointment... Tamako Market vol sold ~500 more copies than Kyoukai.

Tamako market V1 sold far less in its first week than KnK.
Sugarjaye

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:46 pm Reply with quote
And as expected, Free sold really well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3