• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, January 6-12

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yause

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:53 pm Reply with quote
ultimatemegax wrote:

At the same time, we can also point out that Attack on Titan recruited more animators (meaning more cuts), so it also had a high budget, yet it's difficult to tell that due to its time restraints.

Most animators are paid by the number of sheets they turn in, so all this means is that the same amount of work is divided among more people (who each end up making less money for a particular episode). It's an increasingly common way to handle a tight schedule without impacting budget.

On the other hand, poor scheduling can prevent a team from completing as many cuts as intended, plus some budget is eaten if they have to hire additional animation directors.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:59 am Reply with quote
Sugarjaye wrote:
And as expected, Free sold really well.

Free! has been a consistent best-seller as far as I'm aware.
I'd be very surprised if KyoAni don't make a sequel, given that it's been more popular than any of their other recent series.

I'm kind of surprised we're not seeing copy-cat productions trying to take a slice of the pie for themselves.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:30 am Reply with quote
Kill la Kill is an average anime. Not sure why people expect it to sell more than 10k on week one.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Dop.L wrote:
Sugarjaye wrote:
And as expected, Free sold really well.

Free! has been a consistent best-seller as far as I'm aware.
I'd be very surprised if KyoAni don't make a sequel, given that it's been more popular than any of their other recent series.

I'm kind of surprised we're not seeing copy-cat productions trying to take a slice of the pie for themselves.

I've heard people call Meganebu! "Free! with glasses", but I haven't watched it myself.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

I've heard people call Meganebu! "Free! with glasses", but I haven't watched it myself.

I've seen both, and really the similarity starts and ends with "There is this bunch of guys". Thematically they're totally different.
aereus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:19 am Reply with quote
Keep in mind, those are only first-week sales for Kill la Kill, and doesn't include DVD sales. Oddly enough they call it Limited Edition, but there doesn't appear to be a normal edition for sale yet at all. Also, it's a 9 disc series, which may be a bit steep for some.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:13 am Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
Keep in mind, those are only first-week sales for Kill la Kill, and doesn't include DVD sales. Oddly enough they call it Limited Edition, but there doesn't appear to be a normal edition for sale yet at all. Also, it's a 9 disc series, which may be a bit steep for some.

Its obvious that people who think 8.7k is bad, don't really know how high that acteally is.

I think KlK will be competing against NNB for the 4# spot of Autumn 2013. It all depends on the V2 drop for NNB.
fxg97873

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:56 am Reply with quote
BinBouGami1234 wrote:
Wow, I'm surprised how poorly Watamote sold. I thought that it was way more popular than that.

"No Matter How I Look at It, It’s You Guys' Fault I’m Not Popular!"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3