• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life Catalog v.2 (December 2002 to 3 August 2015)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:34 am Reply with quote
Wow! That is quite a project. My involvement with anime started in late 1997 so I doubt I have much here that would help. Most of what I collected from pre 1997 would be manga in floppy format. When you get something worked up for use, you should post a link here.

Why the emphasis on stock numbers? What does this provide other than completeness?
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:08 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Wow! That is quite a project. My involvement with anime started in late 1997 so I doubt I have much here that would help. Most of what I collected from pre 1997 would be manga in floppy format. When you get something worked up for use, you should post a link here.

The PSO Archive (also linked in the post linked above, though the URL has changed due to technical difficulties; it's Stephen's site) is already ready for use, but we'd like to expand on that.

Alan45 wrote:
Why the emphasis on stock numbers? What does this provide other than completeness?

Completeness, true, but also differentiation between releases (since companies often release a series more than once, sometimes without changing the title of the release), ones that are easier for humans to read than UPCs (bar code numbers). A.D. Vision/ADV Films' SKUs were codes: They include the media format (VHS/DVD, etc.), an abbreviation for the series, and whether the release is subbed or dubbed. E.g., the 801 T.T.S Airbats DVD set's SKU is "DAB/001": D[igital]A[ir]B[ats] release 1 (of one, as the entire series was re-released on two discs in wide two-disc clamshell case). Also, certain boxes for sets have separate SKUs. E.g., Pioneer's release of The Adventures of Mini-Goddess is on four discs--SKUs 11639 through 11642, while the box for the set has an SKU of 12080 (Pioneer used sequential five-digit numbers for SKUs). This isn't always the situation, but other companies have also done it.

Stephen might have more reasons than I think of right now.

Edit: Compiler OAV 1 on VHS (subtitled), an ADV Films release, has an SKU of VHSCP001S.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:03 pm Reply with quote
OK that makes sense. Your reply actually answers another question I had in how you distinguish between second and subsequent production runs and a re-release.

Funny you should mention the Compiler OVA it is one of only nine VHS tapes I retained of what was once a collection of a couple hundred. The others were either replaced with DVDs or simply dumped.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:30 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
OK that makes sense. Your reply actually answers another question I had in how you distinguish between second and subsequent production runs and a re-release.

You're welcome. Anime smile

Alan45 wrote:
Funny you should mention the Compiler OVA it is one of only nine VHS tapes I retained of what was once a collection of a couple hundred. The others were either replaced with DVDs or simply dumped.

I kept all of the tapes that haven't been replaced by higher quality media (LD, DVD, or BD), or when I object to something in the subsequent release (e.g., the replacement of a piece of music in Gunbuster). Compiler has never been released in North America on anything except VHS.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:04 am Reply with quote
Yes, that is why I still have both Compiler tapes. Of course they would have made more sense if we had gotten the manga they were advertising. I also have Maris the Cujo, Laughing Target and Fire Tripper for the same reason. I've got both Hyper Doll tapes as the DVD version left out the live action episodes. Kotetsu and the Ranma 1/2 Juke box complete the left overs.

In retrospect, I should have picked up the Takahashi Mermaid title in VHS but I was a bit weirded out by the preview that showed on all the early Ranma 1/2 tapes.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:35 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I've got both Hyper Doll tapes as the DVD version left out the live action episodes.

Actually, that's exactly the kind of information that we're looking for. (I checked, and while I recall watching Hyper Dolls, somehow I don't have the VHS tapes, the LDs, or the DVD. We must have shown it at the local anime club.) Though I see that AnimeMania also notes that fact (page down to the just about the end). Still, I encourage you to E-mail that omission to Stephen, plus anything else of that sort that you think of.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:25 am Reply with quote
Hi Guys,

Reviving this old thread because I noticed a message in my inbox about it. There are no plans to revive Shelf Life at this time, but we might consider reviving Shelf Obscessed.

Would that interest you ?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:15 am Reply with quote
I for one would enjoy it. I always found it neat seeing other people's collections. Not just for the collections themselves, but the display setup people used. Hopefully more people might chime in they'd like to see it back in some form. Hopefully if so people will also send in photos to keep it going. Maybe open it to photos of wall art and such as well. Maybe bring back Right Turn Only as well. What? Did somebody say something? Anime smile + sweatdrop
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:16 am Reply with quote
I would be interested. Would you be hosting the photos for the chosen collections on ANN?
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:58 am Reply with quote
I would be interested.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Maybe open up some sort of poll to the general masses? See if there's enough interest?
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:32 am Reply with quote
Redbeard 101 wrote:
Maybe open up some sort of poll to the general masses? See if there's enough interest?

Agreed. Smile
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Maybe make another seeing if they want Right Turn Only to come back as well in some new form.

Who said that? Must be the wind or something.

Jokes aside I know I'm partially just being nostalgic wanting more of the old columns I "grew up on" here to come back. Nothing against the new columns or writers, I just miss some of my old favorites.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:41 am Reply with quote
As long as we continue to get a reasonable number of manga reviews, I don't care what it is called. "Right Turn Only" never made much sense as a column title anyway, for a long time I thought it was a political reference. You shouldn't have to explain something like that anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3