• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hidamari Sketch Voice Actress Kana Asumi Gets Married

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:20 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Congrats, Asumin!

Animerican14 wrote:
omoikane wrote:

Because realistically they are not breadwinners for the most part, so after marriage there are fewer reasons to work hard for low pay, since that's the seiyuu profession in a nutshell.

I think someone like Asumi Kana will still be around, simply because her fanbase is quite big.

Eh? The seiyuu profession is mostly low-pay? That's news to me; I know that's the case with voice-acting here in the States, but I always assumed that it made enough money for a person as a full-time career in Japan.

From what I know, only the big names can actually make a living as a seiyuu. Newbies and other unknowns usually have a part-time job to supplement their income. So it's not impossible to make a living being a seiyuu, but it's a lot of hard work to get to the point where it can become a career and the only source of income.

You could be Mamoru Miyano and literally have a yearly salary of 100 million yen,
ReverseTitan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Eh? The seiyuu profession is mostly low-pay? That's news to me; I know that's the case with voice-acting here in the States, but I always assumed that it made enough money for a person as a full-time career in Japan.

Well you're wrong on a few things. Many things actuality. Number one, voice acting in the US, or at least LA for union work is much better than in Japan. Generally, the only people making 50,000 yen per recording are the old guys, who have done anime for several decades.

This is the pay for US animation from the voice over resource guide.

http://www.voiceoverresourceguide.com/la/08union.html

Quote:
ANIMATION - TELEVISION ANIMATION*

SESSION FEE $889.00
This SESSION FEE is paid for up to Three Voices in a single program or segments of programs over ten minutes in length. Less than 10 minutes the FEE will be $648.00. If more than Three Voices, you shall be paid an additional $209.00 per voice. Residuals are based on Producers optioned payment schedules.

VAs in Japan, generally have to work additional jobs to make ends meet. It is not a lucrative job at all. It is a thankless job, which pays you based on your age and even when you hit the golden 60+, you get less roles, because you're "overpaid" or whatever. None of the VAs in Japan you like are making 6 figure salaries, compared to the VAs who do Fox work, etc, etc. I'm sick and tired of people falling for these stupid misconceptions. Voice acting in Japan will never be as lucrative as it in LA. Stop comparing apples to apples. Using VAs who do dubs to compare salaries is beyond idiotic and even then, the Japanese aren't even as well of as those, plus higher cost of living and tax in Tokyo mean most VAs in Japan are even worse off than the guys/gals doing dubs. This is the truth

http://www.riuva.com/?p=111

[EDIT: Immensely long quote removed; just see the link. - Key]
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:14 pm Reply with quote
While the info that Reverse Titan linked to may be accurate for union jobs for American animation, it is far from accurate for non-union anime dubbing, which is strictly done on an hourly rate with, I believe, a certain minimum number of hours. (I have heard something like this stated several times in media events with American VAs and ADR directors.)

And those numbers seem at odds even with what I have heard about union anime dubbing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:29 am Reply with quote
Here's a timely tweet that's been making its rounds on Twitter: https://twitter.com/tomukun_26/status/423742283326840832

It's a list of the annual salary for some popular seiyuu, though of course I can't really verify its accuracy. Mizuki Nana's at the top with about $500K (I'm using $1 USD = 100 JPY for the sake of simplicity), Tamura Yukari $200K, Horie Yui $170K, Miyano Mamoru $100K, Ogura Yui $97.6K, Kamiya Hiroshi $94K, Nakamura Yuuichi $76K, Kitamura Eri $75K, Tsuda Minami $71K, and Ishihara Kaori $68K.

Aside from maybe the first three listed, you can't really say that any of them are exactly rich, even if they are crazy popular. (It should also be noted that the first three you could say are more in the artist/idol area, especially Nana.) Mamo and Kamiya are arguably two of the most popular male seiyuu, yet they make about as much as a regular manager at a tech company (I'm originally from CA if that puts anything into perspective). I'm quite sure seiyuu work much harder too since they not only have to do recordings but also do events, interviews, and take time to go over scripts and source material, etc, etc. (I probably wouldn't be able to make it as a seiyuu just because of all the reading involved, LoL.)

I guess the only way to really make it big is if you have a really successful music career to go with your successful voice acting career.
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:39 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:

I guess the only way to really make it big is if you have a really successful music career to go with your successful voice acting career.

Agreed, and I'd guess that it's the voice actors who are singers with the dedicated fans rather than just numbers of fans that are making a relatively good living for a *lot* of work.

Another data point is the size of fan clubs - I joined a few a bit over a year ago. My Nana Mizuki fan club membership number is around the 41500 mark, and my Minori Chihara fan club membership number is around 10700.
JYGalaxy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:05 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Here's a timely tweet that's been making its rounds on Twitter: https://twitter.com/tomukun_26/status/423742283326840832

It's a list of the annual salary for some popular seiyuu, though of course I can't really verify its accuracy. Mizuki Nana's at the top with about $500K (I'm using $1 USD = 100 JPY for the sake of simplicity), Tamura Yukari $200K, Horie Yui $170K, Miyano Mamoru $100K, Ogura Yui $97.6K, Kamiya Hiroshi $94K, Nakamura Yuuichi $76K, Kitamura Eri $75K, Tsuda Minami $71K, and Ishihara Kaori $68K.

Aside from maybe the first three listed, you can't really say that any of them are exactly rich, even if they are crazy popular. (It should also be noted that the first three you could say are more in the artist/idol area, especially Nana.) Mamo and Kamiya are arguably two of the most popular male seiyuu, yet they make about as much as a regular manager at a tech company (I'm originally from CA if that puts anything into perspective). I'm quite sure seiyuu work much harder too since they not only have to do recordings but also do events, interviews, and take time to go over scripts and source material, etc, etc. (I probably wouldn't be able to make it as a seiyuu just because of all the reading involved, LoL.)

Haihai, so I saw this and I just wanted to point out something really.
From what I can tell, the numbers are actually(in yen)
Mizuki Nana:5 x 100,000,000 = 500,000,000 Yen = 5,000,000 USD using your simple conversion rate...
And it appears to be so too, so actually the numbers are 10x bigger than what you stated, so I dunno
Haha..
(And in case you're wondering, yes I did create an account just to post this)
Uhm, hope this helped

PS:The figures are..(at least, for the top three or at the very least Mizuki Nana and Tamura Yukari) roughly accurate, though I'm not sure exactly when these are, but I do recall ..something about Mizuki Nana and Tamura Yukari earnings around those numbers.
Though I think most likely that yes it is due to their music careers.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:30 am Reply with quote
JYGalaxy wrote:
Mizuki Nana:5 x 100,000,000 = 500,000,000 Yen = 5,000,000 USD using your simple conversion rate...

Pfft! Okay. I will admit I am HORRIBLE with large Japanese numbers. Couple that with me writing that at "work" and having to convert to USD and yeah........ XDDDD

Here are the correct numbers (I think...):
Mizuki Nana - $5M
Tamura Yukari $2M
Horie Yui $1M 700K
Miyano Mamoru $1M
Ogura Yui $970,600
Kamiya Hiroshi $940,000
Nakamura Yuuichi $760,000
Kitamura Eri $750,000
Tsuda Minami $710,999
Ishihara Kaori $680,000

So I guess that kinda kills what I was writing before, LoL.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:48 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
phoenixalia wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

They often say they will keep on working, but in reality most see a sharp decline in work after marriage.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Just wanted to confirm it. That's very unfortunate. Why is that?

Not 100% on this, so don't take it too seriously. My mother is Asian and my my experience, even today Asian families are very tradtiional in a lot of ways and one of these ways is the role of a mother staying at home.

About 6 out of 10 working J-women quit their jobs once they get pregnant. When asked what they'd like to be when they grow up, many young J-girls do dream of being SAHMs (stay-at-home moms). It's like 1950s Pleasantville that way.

Also, dunno if ya guys know this, but married wives are only allowed to earn up to a certain income in order to still qualify under their husbands' insurance. So even if the wife returns to work, it's only for part-time jobs or limited hours and no overtime.

Let's just say that for both reasons, J-women aren't exactly helping their status for workplace equality. That's why J-businesses are reluctant to hire J-women to long-time career track positions.

Animerican14 wrote:
omoikane wrote:

Because realistically they are not breadwinners for the most part, so after marriage there are fewer reasons to work hard for low pay, since that's the seiyuu profession in a nutshell.

J-seiyuu could compensate the low pay by being able to work on more shows (lucky for them there's 40+ shows a season). And that's why they go into side-projects like doing promos or singing the songs where they could earn real money (concerts, CDs, royalties only in the rare case they actually wrote their own songs otherwise they're merely considered work-for-hire) from basically the same seiyuu gig. Dubs of Hollywood works pay better as well.

ReverseTitan wrote:

This is the pay for US animation from the voice over resource guide.

http://www.voiceoverresourceguide.com/la/08union.html

Quote:
ANIMATION - TELEVISION ANIMATION*

SESSION FEE $889.00
This SESSION FEE is paid for up to Three Voices in a single program or segments of programs over ten minutes in length. Less than 10 minutes the FEE will be $648.00. If more than Three Voices, you shall be paid an additional $209.00 per voice. Residuals are based on Producers optioned payment schedules.

The money is on the residuals, especially for long shows that get into endless syndication (it's a gift that keeps on giving). J-seiyuu get none of that.
AnimeBeef

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:54 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
JYGalaxy wrote:

Pfft! Okay. I will admit I am HORRIBLE with large Japanese numbers. Couple that with me writing that at "work" and having to convert to USD and yeah........ XDDDD

Here are the correct numbers (I think...):
Mizuki Nana - $5M
Tamura Yukari $2M
Horie Yui $1M 700K
Miyano Mamoru $1M
Ogura Yui $970,600
Kamiya Hiroshi $940,000
Nakamura Yuuichi $760,000
Kitamura Eri $750,000
Tsuda Minami $710,999
Ishihara Kaori $680,000

So I guess that kinda kills what I was writing before, LoL.

Damn! That's some good money if you can get a decent singing carrier along with your voice acting job. How accurate are these numbers? Ogura Yui is only 18 and she's making almost 1M.. wow! I know she's signed by King Records and is part of YuiKaori but wow I didn't know she was raking in that much $. Holy crap! That's pretty impressive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2