• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Top Five Light Novels Ranked by Title Length

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:08 am Reply with quote
You know, this was cool when it was just García Márquez doing it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Story_of_a_Shipwrecked_Sailor

The thing I find funny about this trend is how some crazy otaku like to show off their otakun-ess by saying the show's full title instead of the shorthand.

"No matter how I look at it, it's my little sister's fault that I'm not creative enough to come up with a funny LN title for the comments on this article"
Draneor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:37 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
You know, this was cool when it was just García Márquez doing it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Story_of_a_Shipwrecked_Sailor"

Really long titles for novels have a long tradition, going back through basically their entire history. For example Pamela (from 1740)'s actually title is:

Pamela, Or Virtue Rewarded; In A Series Of Letters, From A Beautiful Young Damsel To Her Parents: Designed To Inculcate The Principles Of Virtue And Religion In The Youth Of Both Sexes. A Narrative, Which Has Its Foundation In Truth, And Which Is Entirely of all those images which, in too many pieces calculated for amusement only, tend to inflame the minds they should instruct.

Short version: my novel is different from all the other novels you condemn (spoiler, it didn't work--the novel was widely popular and also considered scandoulous). Long titles weren't just limited to novels either.
Nayu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:46 am Reply with quote
Holy crap, Pamela IS a light novel. Very Happy

Quote:
Pamela, or Virtue Rewarded is an epistolary novel by Samuel Richardson, first published in 1740. It tells the story of a beautiful 15-year old maidservant named Pamela Andrews, whose nobleman master, Mr. B, makes unwanted advances towards her after the death of his mother, whose maid she was since age 12. Mr. B is infatuated with her, first by her looks and then her innocence and intelligence, but his high rank hinders him from proposing marriage. He abducts her, locks her up in one of his estates, and attempts to seduce and rape her. She rejects him continually, but starts to realise that she is falling in love with him. He intercepts her letters to her parents; reading them, he becomes even more enamored by her innocence, intelligence, and continuous escape attempts. Her virtue is eventually rewarded when he sincerely proposes an equitable marriage to her. In the novel's second part, Pamela attempts to build a successful relationship with him and to acclimatise to upperclass society. The story, a best-seller of its time, was very widely read but criticised for its perceived licentiousness.

You know... I'd read this.
4nBlue

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Alpha Police

Correction: Alphapolis

Also I wouldn't really consider I was reincarnated as an evil god... a light novel, because it's not even the right size and all of the book stores I visited carried it in the fantasy novel section instead of the light novel section.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:13 am Reply with quote
Pamela was originally printed as the individual letters (chapters) in newspapers and pamphlets, not as a full novel. It's also a pretty damn disturbing first person account of not just Stockholm syndrome but the class system of the time. Oh, and the criticism as it was published wasn't that Pamela suffered sexual abuse and yet falls madly in love. It was that the book depicted sexual imagery at all, and a noble having sex with a commoner at that! (THE SHAME!)
Nayu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:27 am Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
Pamela was originally printed as the individual letters (chapters) in newspapers and pamphlets, not as a full novel. It's also a pretty damn disturbing first person account of not just Stockholm syndrome but the class system of the time. Oh, and the criticism as it was published wasn't that Pamela suffered sexual abuse and yet falls madly in love. It was that the book depicted sexual imagery at all, and a noble having sex with a commoner at that! (THE SHAME!)

So basically... it was a light novel. Very Happy

It's also available free on Amazon's kindle.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:45 am Reply with quote
I'm really looking forward to the upcoming No matter how I look at it, I might as well just make the title a detailed description of the premise because I'm completely creatively bankrupt.
Nayu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:16 am Reply with quote
There's also Love-Letters Between a Nobleman and His Sister

Which is also available on Kindle. I'm gonna be busy. Very Happy
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:52 am Reply with quote
ANN's next headline: 17th and 18th Century British Novels Become Surprisingly Popular Among Otaku Due To Extravagant Titling Practices of the Time. Laughing (It has a shorter title, but check out Cecilia.)

I Was a Middle School Novelist Who Stole My Crush's Name For My Pseudonym Causing Her To Jump Off A Roof, So I Was Depressed Until I Met a Book Eating Girl Who Forced Me To Join Her Club And Solve Mysteries Linked to Classic Literature.
Nayu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:55 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
ANN's next headline: 17th and 18th Century British Novels Become Surprisingly Popular Among Otaku Due To Extravagant Titling Practices of the Time. Laughing (It has a shorter title, but check out Cecilia.)

I Was a Middle School Novelist Who Stole My Crush's Name For My Pseudonym Causing Her To Jump Off A Roof, So I Was Depressed Until I Met a Book Eating Girl Who Forced Me To Join Her Club And Solve Mysteries Linked to Classic Literature.

Added to my goodreads and my kindle. 99 cents. Now to finish that Haruhi novel so I can read these new acquisitions.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:08 am Reply with quote
Watamote is actually a manga....

No Matter How I Look At It I'm Always Going To Be The Most Annoying Ninja In My Village And Because Of That I'm Never Going To Be The Hokage.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:22 am Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
There's also Love-Letters Between a Nobleman and His Sister

Which is also available on Kindle. I'm gonna be busy. Very Happy

Is this where the term "Philanderer" comes from?
Wow. That book would make such a good shoujo manga that I'm surprised it hasn't been adapted already! It has crossdressing, a love triangle, forbidden alliances (no actual incest, though-it's actually a sister-in-law), and 17th century politics galore!

Last edited by Agent355 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:24 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
You know, on the forms I think some of these authors just mistakenly read "title" as "plot summary."

Not surprising since most light novels aren't worth the paper they're printed on. Fan fic material that's it.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:04 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Not surprising since most light novels aren't worth the paper they're printed on. Fan fic material that's it.

You know, I've always thought that the best analogue to light novels in America isn't fan fiction but rather pulp fiction. Short, published in long series, with several volumes a year from one author, often with titillating subject matter, not considered high art, most of them downright dreadful, but occasionally one comes along that's pretty brilliant, like The Guin Saga or Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
Nayu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:14 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Cptn_Taylor wrote:

You know, I've always thought that the best analogue to light novels in America isn't fan fiction but rather pulp fiction. Short, published in long series, with several volumes a year from one author, often with titillating subject matter, not considered high art, most of them downright dreadful, but occasionally one comes along that's pretty brilliant, like The Guin Saga or Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

That's my POV on light novels. They're the same as books like the Expanded Universe for Star Wars or the millions of Star Trek novels. Nothing too challenging, but still... a decent read.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4