• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. Appeals Court Strikes Down Net Neutrality Rules

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Risami

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't get what is going on, did it got rejected or will we be getting it? if so when?
I use netflix/crunchyroll how will this effect us streamers?
Do we need to buy the fastest internet or something?
And what about us Gamers!?
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:33 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:

Chances are the top level providers aren't going to play this game [too much] or their dominance would get bypassed. And these days they probably don't need any more reasons for their international customers to go elsewhere. More likely this would impact those outside trying to access content hosted on US servers, depending on if the hosting company was providing enough tribute to the troll under their bridge for less-molested access to the internet.

The problem for me is that Comcast has a monopoly where I currently live, and Comcast internet is a piece of shit. It doesn't work consistently at all, going out completely for no reason (not even at heavy traffic times. I see it go bad at like 3pm and stuff.) It's not even fast when it is working either.

If I could go elsewhere I would in a second, for example other people I know in other regions have other providers who I see to be much more consistent. The problem is Comcast's local monopoly.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:22 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Net neutrality regulation is a bandaid on a missing limb. The real issue is the lack of competition created by the rampant monopolies in the sector - real competition would not only provide the best incentive for treating traffic neutrally, but also to hurry the hell up with getting Americans first-world internet speeds.

The thing is, having the Internet owned by multiple companies in the first place is kind of like if we had the public road system owned by multiple companies instead of by the US citizens/government. Conceptually, it doesn't make sense to have multiple entities providing multiple routes of traffic for network packets, anymore than it would for multiple construction companies to try and provide alternate road systems for people to get from point A to B. It's like if you wanted to drive to New York, but a company says you can't drive on their roads unless you pay a fee. Is the solution really to have multiple companies build multiple sets of roads just so you can have more options to drive to New York? There's no room to constantly keep adding that sort of redundant infrastructure, and its a waste of resources. In that sense, it seems to me that the Internet conceptually ought to be publicly owned and privately managed.
aereus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:34 am Reply with quote
As I understand it, this was actually a sly case of juris prudence. Yes, they struck down the law, or rather, the FCC having the ability to give themselves the authority to do this. But they stated that the FCC *already* has the authority to do essentially Net Neutrality through different powers already vested to them by congress.

And basically labeling the ISPs as telecoms.

The reason you need something like net neutrality is because of traffic routing. A bunch of different entities own all the connecting pipes that make up the internet. It would be like each state trying to put a toll on every plane that crosses their airspace. Or every new highway you turned onto on a trip had a toll booth.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:23 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
The thing is, having the Internet owned by multiple companies in the first place is kind of like if we had the public road system owned by multiple companies instead of by the US citizens/government. Conceptually, it doesn't make sense to have multiple entities providing multiple routes of traffic for network packets, anymore than it would for multiple construction companies to try and provide alternate road systems for people to get from point A to B. It's like if you wanted to drive to New York, but a company says you can't drive on their roads unless you pay a fee. Is the solution really to have multiple companies build multiple sets of roads just so you can have more options to drive to New York?
Yes. No, really.
Quote:
There's no room to constantly keep adding that sort of redundant infrastructure, and its a waste of resources.
"Wasteful duplication" isn't a real argument - if it were actually wasteful in society's reckoning, then any company building it would go out of business(assuming away the ability to bilk the taxpayers for a moment). If there's multiple ways from point A to point B that can operate profitably, then clearly a large enough segment of society considers each "duplicate" nonwasteful enough to part with their hard-earned wealth(eg, maybe some prefer the one that allows unlimited speeds, while others prefer the one with the highest weight limits, while still others prefer the one with the prettiest scenery). Yes, you may end up with more infrastructure than naive calculation would claim is 'needed', but that argument involves the smuggled assumption that the planner's preferences are superior to those of everyone else(and the gridlock I passed on the way home this morning deftly illustrates how often you end up with less than you need under the planners). If you still doubt me, governments today are already building alternative toll routes to the old free roads that see quite the return.

And all this goes far more than doubly for internet routes, unless you're an advocate of information supergridlock.
Quote:
In that sense, it seems to me that the Internet conceptually ought to be publicly owned and privately managed.
The internet should be owned and managed like an interconnected bunch of networks. Uncle Sam already has the internet by the balls via ICANN; why would you want to make that problem worse?
Nayu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
A bunch of different entities own all the connecting pipes that make up the internet.

Ah, its been a while since I was reminded of "a series of tubes". Thanks.

This is why people who don't understand the internet should stay the fudge out of trying to manage the internet.
aereus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote
If you're trying to insult me: I was putting it into simple terms. And yes, the series of tubes thing had crossed my mind when I typed that out.

More technically speaking:
Settlement-free peering of Tier1 providers like Level3 are what keeps the internet moving smoothly.

If net neutrality dies, and all providers expect to be paid for peering, then watch as your ping goes to crap, service gets slower, and you're routed through Siberia 5x on a trace route for some unexplicable reason.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3