• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Powerpuff Girls Get Furry in Japanese Crossover Campaign

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Too funny.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:54 pm Reply with quote
That is just incredible to see. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Oh, it's just the American Cartoon Network versions of the girls wearing animal ear hats. From the title, I was expecting full-fledged Powerpuff Girls furry redesigns, as seen on many a Deviantart page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:02 pm Reply with quote
The City of Townsville...
Nuuzen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I want those plushes. lol
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised... I heard the ratings for it bombed in Japan, and Powerpuff Girls Z did pretty bad too :/
Guile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
I'm surprised... I heard the ratings for it bombed in Japan, and Powerpuff Girls Z did pretty bad too :/

Popularity does not seem to mean much when it comes to these kinds of crossover promotions. Mass Effect is almost unheard of in Japan, but it still had cross over DLC with Final Fantasy XIII-2, and Tomb Raider will be doing the same with Lightning Returns. I think American companies can afford to do promotions like these even if their product is not very popular. After all, it does help their exposure in Japan, even if only a little bit. Cartoon Network in general is unpopular in Japan, but they still routinely do these kinds of promotions to promote their stuff there. Amazing World of Gumball got a similar one awhile back if I recall correctly.
partysmores

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I was expecting them to be busty anthros straight from deviantART.
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:05 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:

Not sure how PPGZ did (if it was a flop then good riddance since it was terrible) but the original was a pretty big hit in Japan which is why Z unfortunately exists in the first place.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:10 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:

See it for yourselves!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQOUEVUsNW0
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:46 am Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:

See it for yourselves!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQOUEVUsNW0

Wait, PPGZ got dubbed?

Wow, they changed everything.. they killed the awesome soundtrack, and for some reason they're called Blossom, Bubbles, and Buttercup in their normal forms. This is some 4Kids-level dubbing here.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:58 am Reply with quote
Guile wrote:

Popularity does not seem to mean much when it comes to these kinds of crossover promotions. Mass Effect is almost unheard of in Japan, but it still had cross over DLC with Final Fantasy XIII-2, and Tomb Raider will be doing the same with Lightning Returns. I think American companies can afford to do promotions like these even if their product is not very popular. After all, it does help their exposure in Japan, even if only a little bit.

I thought it was mainly for the Western side, but hey they do try to market things like Mass Effect in Japan somehow!

Divineking wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:

Not sure how PPGZ did (if it was a flop then good riddance since it was terrible) but the original was a pretty big hit in Japan which is why Z unfortunately exists in the first place.

I thought I remember hearing something about PPG's poor performance had them create their OWN version, to try to entice Japanese audiences more. *shrug*
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:31 am Reply with quote
An animated commercial for the campaign can be found here (https://pizzahut.jp/pc/top). Just click the little box that says "CM."
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:04 am Reply with quote
Cute! I want those Plushies.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:21 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Oh, it's just the American Cartoon Network versions of the girls wearing animal ear hats. From the title, I was expecting full-fledged Powerpuff Girls furry redesigns, as seen on many a Deviantart page.

Was more surprised they did the crappy american version of PPG and not use the japaneese version aka Dentimasha!PPGZ which in my opinion is much better than the US version.

Kinda suprised that their isnt an english dub version of PPGZ let alone that a US anime company have licensed it as yet,.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2