• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Black Butler Anime Series Green-Lit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeDuelist15

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I never watched the first two series.

If this is a reboot I will give it a try.
Detrimont

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Dezakore wrote:
I never could get past the 2nd episode and IMO the manga isn't any better.

Same here, but i think the manga is worse, (to be fair, i made it into volume 4 of the manga because a friend was forcing me to read it, the only chapter i liked was the fight between jack the ripper(grell... i think) and Sebastian(?).
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Yes, my lord!
rydia251

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Male, female - shota, bishounen... I don't know anything except that I enjoyed the first season and really need to watch the second even if it sucks as everyone says.

I am a straight white middle-aged male and for some reason I get the weirdest boner when I hear J Michael Tatum say "I am one hell of a butler". Made me buy the Funi boxset.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I should be excited for this. When Black Butler started streaming on Funimation, I spent three days in a row watching all of the episodes. I thought it was so great that I first-day pre-ordered the LE box set.

Then came Season 2. I still haven't finished it. I got to episode 8 I think before I stopped. It was just... bad. I hated the new characters, with exception of Hannah. Then reading the manga made me hate Season 2 even more since there was some super cool arcs in there that could've been animated.

I want to be excited since maybe, just maybe, they'll go about animating some of the other arcs, like the Circus or Cruise Ship arcs. But at the same time, given that I know how Season 2 ended, I'm afraid they are going to try and continue that line somehow or another.

So torn on how I should feel right now. XP
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I didn't hate season 2, but I did feel that in the end it was superfluous and diminished season 1's excellent ending a little. Although I will admit the idea of Sebastian spoiler[being forever by Ciel's side but unable to feed on the soul he desires] is a nice bit of dramatic irony. I honestly don't know where they could go with those characters that would feel natural. I think their best bet would be a reboot as others have suggested or have new characters (which they kind of did in s2, but it still felt mostly like a continuation of Ciel's story).
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:02 am Reply with quote
jkphantom wrote:
SAO is returning, Fairy Tail is returning, and now Black Butler is returning too..... I feel like 2014 is becoming a "return of anime favorites!" year....

The notion of sequels has been happening more frequently than you think for the last 3 years actually if not longer, though the definition of "favorites" is subjective. Last year was particularly notable though in terms of its list

2011: Shana Final, Hunter x Hunter, Ika Musume, Working!!, Digimon, Fujilog, Tamayura, Hidamari Sketch, Nurarihyon, Natsume Yuujinchou, Kaitou Tenshi Twin Angel, Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu, Kaiji, Milky Holmes, Gintama, Fireball Charming, Tono to Issho, Dororon Enma-kun, Kampfer, Maria Holic, Hen Zemi, Azazel-san, Kami Nomi 2, Seikon no Qwaser,

2012: Hayate no Gotoku, Gintama, Hidamari Sketch, To Love-Ru Darkness, Bakuman, Seitokai no Ichizon, Saki Achiga, Initial D, Moyashimon, Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon, Dog Days', Hakuouki, Robin-kun to 100 nin no Otomodachi 2, Milky Holmes, Yuru Yuri, Yurumates, Recorder to Randoseru, Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?, Lupin III, Kimi to Boku, Fate/Zero, Zero no Tsukaima F, Amagami SS Plus, Nisemonogatari, Prince of Tennis, Natsume Yuujinchou, Aquarion EVOL, Black Rock Shooter, Busou Shinki,

2013: Railgun S, Magi 2, Infinite Stratos 2, Madoka Rebellion, Hanasaku Iroha Movie, Steins;Gate Movie, Ano Hana Movie, Gintama movie, Phi Brain 3, Kyousougiga, Yozakura Quartet, Kuroko no Basuke, Little Busters Refrain, Freezing Vibration, Rozen Maiden, Oshiri Kajiri Mushi 2, Kingdom 2, Tamayura ~More Aggressive~, Symphogear G, KamiNomi 3, Recorder to Randoseru Mi, OreImo, Gakkatsu, Hyakka Ryouran, Azazel-san Z, Nyaruko W, Minami-ke, Da Capo III, Monogatari Series, Milky Holmes, AKB0048 Next Stage, gudaguda fairies, Haganai NEXT, Chihayafuru 2, Hetalia Beautiful World, Zettai Karen Children Unlimited, Hidamari Sketch, Hakuouki movie, Ribbon-chan, DxD New, Ro-Kyu-Bu!, UtaPri 2000%, Ao no Exorcist Movie

2014 thus far: Fairy Tail, Kuroshitsuji, Sword Art Online, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Saki, Sailor Moon, Wooser, Maken-ki!, Yama no Susume, Soul Eater Not!, Puchimas, Date a Live, Mushishi, GJ-Bu, Seitokai Yakuindomo,

Even if you were to exclude a few of the above shows that took 1-2 cour breaks, the list is still eye popping compared to a list from say 2005-ish.

As for Kuroshitsuji, I'm mixed about the news. The second season left a very poor after taste and granted I haven't read the source material, it seems very difficult to see what they could do here to start another story between Ciel and Sebastian. Then again, season 2 did surprise me from the get go of how they handled the conclusion of season 1 spoiler[albeit the use of a deus ex]
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:31 am Reply with quote
jkphantom wrote:
SAO is returning, Fairy Tail is returning, and now Black Butler is returning too..... I feel like 2014 is becoming a "return of anime favorites!" year....

Well then, here's to hoping we get more Natsume Yuujinchou, Chihayafuru, and maybe some Durarara!! too.
EastN3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:52 am Reply with quote
Huh. I thought I heard fangirls and fanboys squealing earlier, but I didn't know this was the reason.
paperfanofdoom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully they throw season 2 and the last few episodes of season 1 in the trash, and start off from the Circus arc.
Agent_VinylScratch

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:47 am Reply with quote
I dunno, I guess it would be cool to see a reboot or spin-off, especially if they cover the awesome story arcs from the manga...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:42 pm Reply with quote
OMG this is the best news ever! :D Soon as I read this I started jumping up and down. I'd hate for the voice cast to change..And yes! We need Oscar *snake guy* he's so much better than pluto. They should really change the Lizzy/Ciel relationship and give Lizzy the respect she deserves for being awesome *if you read the manga you know she kicks butt* I'd also love to see some NinaXMayrin and I like the manga better for how Ciel and Sebastian interact. There's undertones of yaoi but they're subtle, and they don't torment like they do in the anime series. *c'mon, what's this thing where they look so close and then something makes 'em look away and no one knows what even happened?!* Plus, Sebastian has a wider range of emotions than in the anime and isn't so stiff. *He laughs, guys. He is capable of laughter. It's amazing, I know.* Arcs I'd love to see: the circus arc definitely, cruise ship was awesome *undertaker pwned everyone and Sebastian and Ciel had a nice moment*, the school arc was funny. Also, that part with baron kelvin I think, that should be in it too, though that was part of the circus thing. The manga is epic. It'd be so much better animated. As for the end of season 2, why not take the idea they created and make a OAV that depicts life in hell or Ciel contracting or something? Fanfics have done it, or y'know what, make it a full yaoi OAV so fans can finally quit dreaming and get it over with.

Hmm... maybe now that they've done this with BB, maybe they'll do it with OHSHC. The manga's ending was so much more satisfying..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3