• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miyazaki's The Wind Rises Nominated for Animated Film Oscar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedemptionRevenge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:36 pm Reply with quote
R. Kasahara wrote:
RedemptionRevenge wrote:
The reason that Spirited Away won the Oscar is because it was so unique, both visually and in terms of its plot, and the Academy would have been stupid to let that one slip through its fingers.

Don't dismiss Disney's influence that easily. I skimmed Variety every week for a few years, including around the time Spirited Away was nominated, and Disney pushed that film much, much harder in its advertising than their other two nominees. Fact is, they had a lot to do with it generating the buzz that led to the Oscar win. If you want to know what animated feature they'll be favoring for this year's awards, keep an eye on the ads (and their placement) in Variety and The Hollywood Reporter over the next several weeks.

Right, they would have been pushing Spirited Away because Lilo & Stitch and Treasure Planet underperformed. They won't be pushing The Wind Rises this time around. They will be pushing Frozen.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:47 pm Reply with quote
RedemptionRevenge wrote:
Right, they would have been pushing Spirited Away because Lilo & Stitch and Treasure Planet underperformed. They won't be pushing The Wind Rises this time around. They will be pushing Frozen.

My point is that Spirited Away did not win wholly on its own merits, which is what it sounded like you were claiming Razz
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen either the wind rises or frozen myself so It'll be interesting to see which one comes out on top.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, I'm a bit disappointed Monsters University didn't make the cut. I'd have been rooting for Frozen to win anyway, but Monsters University was still a lot of fun even if it never reached the heights of the original Monsters, Inc., which is still my favourite Pixar film.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ReverseTitan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:57 pm Reply with quote
And we care, because? Awards mean nothing. What we like more important. Also keep in mind that any Ghibli film from Spirited Away- is technically also Disney since that what the production committee seems to read. Even in Ponyo "Dizuni" was in the production committee, so if Rises does win, it's not like a Disney film would have lost. And before somebody says backing=/=IP, oh yes it does. Shaft technically only did grunt work in Madoka. The real stars were Aniplex. End of EVA is a IG/Toei film as much as it is a Gainax film. All of those companies own some form of copyright over a film another studio did.
xyz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I only like 2 of Miyazaki's film and The Wind Rises isn't one of them. Frozen isn't the best of Disney (and I think it's not as good as Tangled) but it's still a better choice for the win and I hope it will win.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:50 pm Reply with quote
No Letter to Momo or Kick Heart?

On Rotten Tomatoes, both Frozen (89%) and Wind Rises (81%) are doing quite well. Contrary to many of my friends, I actually liked Tangled a bit more than Frozen, albeit both good and Frozen has since become Disney Studio's 2nd top film behind Lion King (wow that's a long time) and just won Golden Globe for Best Animated Feature (the winner of the Golden Globes animated feature category has gone on to win the Best Animated Feature Oscar five out of the last six years).

Meanwhile, though Wind Rises has its critics in Japan, including the (non)performance of its lead actor, it has been winning the critics circles in America which bodes very well for it.

As another story, since ya guys probably don't check other animation sites so probably won't be aware what's going on, Frozen was getting controversy for something else - something that a typical anime wouldn't get away with if it ever gets big in American theaters:

"New Disney Heroine’s Eyes Are Bigger Than Her Wrists"

I know what you're thinking - no, it's not about the eyes. Laughing
It's about:

"Disney heroine from Frozen STILL has ridiculous proportions"
"Frozen in time: when will Disney's heroines reflect real body shapes?"

Yes, it's about animation and caricatures, so there's also been some blowback and opposing views:

"Disney’s Frozen and Hyper-Sensitivity"
"‘Frozen’: Disney’s First Foray into Feminism"

And they haven't even dealt with what the lead animator has to say:

“Frozen” Head of Animation Says Animating Women is “Really, Really Difficult”

• Some people have chosen to boycott the film because of the chauvinist revisions to its storyline. But the real shitsnowstorm of controversy started from within the studio after Lino DiSalvo, the head of animation on Frozen, claimed that it was “really, really difficult” to animate women because they have to be kept pretty while expressing emotions:

“Historically speaking, animating female characters are really, really difficult, because they have to go through these range of emotions, but you have to keep them pretty and they’re very sensitive to — you can get them off a model very quickly. So, having a film with two hero female characters was really tough, and having them both in the scene and look very different if they’re echoing the same expression; that Elsa looking angry looks different from Anna being angry.”

Ah, controversies, we love 'em. Laughing
Of note, Pixar did not receive a nomination this year in either the animated feature or short category. The last time it happened at the Oscars was in 2000, a year in which Pixar did not release a short and in which the animated feature category did not yet exist.
And so, Frozen has a good chance of winning Best Music (Original Song) for "Let It Go."
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Frozen is now the crown-jewel second-highest grossing film in Disney Feature Animation history, a box office and pop culture phenomenon. Most popular animated film they've produced since The Lion King.

What wins these awards are studio campaigns. Disney will be pushing Frozen, and it will win. Anyone prognosticating otherwise isn't paying much attention to how these things actually work.

Also to the 'controversies' listed above: the only thing they prove is that hyperventilating Tumblr whining has no impact on a film's performance or popularity.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Letter to Momo wasn't nominated because it's an anime film not directed by Hayao Miyazaki.

I was originally going to type "it's an anime film not from Ghibli" but Ghibli movies not directed by Miyazaki don't get nominated either.

EDIT: Miyazaki senior, I mean, not Goro.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I really can't say anything about the Wind Rises and how I'd want it to fair in the Oscars because I haven't seen it, but I will be putting my hope into Frozen easily sweeping it. Also, Miyazaki snubbed the Awards last time, but he's not Woody Allen, so I'm sure they take too kindly to that. What's to say he won't find some other bullshit excuse to avoid attending this time?

I am surprised they nominated the Croods, a film that many people reviled. Yeah it's crass, but it's got a good core message and Nicholas Cage. It's a perfectly reasonable family film, and certainly better than Epic, Escape from Planet Earth, Free Birds, and many of the other animated features this year. Either way, I'm glad Pixar's reign is over and WDAS can finally win something. They got totally snubbed on Tangled because no enough films were nominated, though Toy Story 3 would have probably still won regardless.
RedemptionRevenge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Frozen is now the crown-jewel second-highest grossing film in Disney Feature Animation history, a box office and pop culture phenomenon. Most popular animated film they've produced since The Lion King.

What wins these awards are studio campaigns. Disney will be pushing Frozen, and it will win. Anyone prognosticating otherwise isn't paying much attention to how these things actually work.

Also to the 'controversies' listed above: the only thing they prove is that hyperventilating Tumblr whining has no impact on a film's performance or popularity.

This.

And there will ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS be some sort of bullshit controversy when a Disney movie gets released. Unlike all the other NA animation studios, Disney is incredibly close to our cultural centre, so it evokes a lot of passion in people.

Oh, and if you think the Academy even looks at those "controversies", you are wroooooong.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:35 pm Reply with quote
The hot new way to criticize Disney animated features is to point out that the cast isn't entirely made up of multi-disabled, genderfluid, variable-body-sized, non-straight, multi-religious people of color. Many of them non-satirical too!
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

I don't disagree for a second — by any sane measure, Frozen wins this easily, especially as Miyazaki has already received he de facto career achievement Oscar when he got the award for Spirited Away.

But I'd be interested to know: who votes on this award? Is it members of an animation union, or a subset of the Academy, or all its members? Presumably, that would have an effect on who's seen what (e.g., if it's just any member, then you'd expect fewer votes for the annual European-film-that's-probably-good-but-we-haven't-seen-it entry)
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Miyazaki's nominee statement, via Cartoon Brew:

Quote:
“I and my colleagues are deeply honored that the Academy has chosen to nominate The Wind Rises, my last film, for the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature Film. It is indeed a privilege for all of us who worked on the film to see it get this acclaim from so far away. I am, personally, very gratified to receive such an honor, and wish to express my sincere gratitude to the members of the Academy and thank everyone who has made the film such a success. I hope that many people will see the film after it opens in North American theaters soon.”

As an aside, I'd point out the "my last film" remark to skeptics who believe secondhand reporting that Miyazaki somehow "took back" his retirement from directing recently. Nope, not so much. Nothing has changed.

Zac wrote:

And also that it often has minimal connection to actual reality. I remember running across one why-I'm-boycotting-Frozen essay that was basically just crammed full of assumptions and generalizations and glass-half-empty condemnations that all just look funny in hindsight when considered against the facts and context of what the movie ended up being.

I'll be stunned if Frozen doesn't win also. It's both successful and successful for very good reasons. It recalled the studio's best traditions and yet also didn't feel stale. Leads were wonderful, music is (mostly) great. When I went back to see it a second time the seventh weekend, the theater was as full as I've seen it on opening weekends. Crazy stuff.

Last edited by GWOtaku on Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:17 pm; edited 3 times in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I'll believe that it's his last film when he dies, but until then I remain open to the idea that he's too much of a hardass to actually retire. Besides, his last movie as director, not his last movie as "guy who bosses everyone else around at the studio".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5