• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miyazaki's The Wind Rises Nominated for Animated Film Oscar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:13 am Reply with quote
Tenchi: We'll know for sure what the chances are for non-Miyazaki Ghibli films of being nominated for an Oscar if Disney decides to submit Kaguya-hime this year. And the real Hosoda movie which should have been submitted was The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. But Kadokawa was clueless about entering our awards shows, and didn't give a damn, even though it played for a week in L.A.

Quote:
There were only three nomination slots, Toy Story 3 and How To Train Your Dragon were shoe-ins, and Sylvain Chomet's The Illusionist was the foreign animated film with enough critical momentum to be nominated.

If Manga hadn't chickened out on submitting Redline, we might've had more slots. Mad

Quote:
Even if there had been five nominees that year, Summer Wars would have to have duked it out with the not-nominated-but-still-successful Tangled and Despicable Me for the remaining slots and I don't think that's a battle the Jinnouchi family could've won.

I think Summer Wars could've had a chance with five slots. Frankly, though, I don't get why they got to be limited to five, when you got as many as nine pics vying for Best Picture.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:38 am Reply with quote
The obvious difference between Best Picture and Best Animated Feature is you have hundreds upon hundreds, if not thousands, of movies eligible for Best Picture while you get, at most, maybe two dozen films eligible for Best Animated Feature. The pool for Best Picture is just so much larger than Best Animated Feature.

Not that I'm a huge fan of Best Picture getting 10 slots (or 9 this year, I don't know why they arbitrarily removed one without going back to five). I think they should go back to five for Best Picture every year, ten is ridiculous.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:00 am Reply with quote
I prefer Tangled a bit more than Frozen mainly because there's a couple things that just bugged me more in Frozen. *Possible spoilers* I don't like how the guy just turned heel seemingly all of a sudden - although I like how it broke the mold of first love at first sight for all time that's so prevalent nowadays including anime/manga, and that the act of true love after all that didn't turn out to come from any guy - or any other person for that matter. (If that was his plan beforehand, why didn't he just let the queen be hurt in battle?)

But I especially like the character animations when paying close attention to it, particularly when the focus of attention is away from a character (when most animators would try to get away with "cheats" in order to save time and cost). It's not static, but it's not superfluous neither like what happens with rotoscope (or even anime sometimes guilty of this, like the recent Toonami ep of SAO reminded us how Kirito acted in the cave telling Leafa he won't abandon her even though it's not his fight). It's just the right amount of believability how a person would real act/react in such situations, like how carefully moving her hair out of the way to pick up something in the basket.

Anyways, it'll be interesting in some countries where the release dates are so delayed - like in Japan when it won't be released till Spring when most of the snow and cold would have already melted. Anime smile + sweatdrop

invalidname wrote:

But I'd be interested to know: who votes on this award? Is it members of an animation union, or a subset of the Academy, or all its members? Presumably, that would have an effect on who's seen what (e.g., if it's just any member, then you'd expect fewer votes for the annual European-film-that's-probably-good-but-we-haven't-seen-it entry)

http://www.oscars.org/awards/academyawards/about/voting.html

• Regular awards are presented for outstanding individual or collective film achievements in up to 25 categories. Members from each of the branches vote to determine the nominees in their respective categories – actors nominate actors, film editors nominated film editors, etc. However within the Animated Feature Film and Foreign Language Film categories, nominations are selected by vote of multi-branch screening committees.
  • The Academy’s entire active membership is eligible to select Oscar winners in all categories, although in five – Animated Short Film, Live Action Short Film, Documentary Feature, Documentary Short Subject, and Foreign Language Film – members can vote only after attesting they have seen all of the nominated films in those categories.

Tenchi wrote:

The Borrowers Arrietty wasn't eligible, it was a 2010 release in Japan but wasn't released in North America until early 2012, just a hair beyond the one calender year extension the Academy grants foreign films in the category to play in Los Angeles for a week. Since 2011 was such a weak year for animation, Disney could've done a late autumn L.A. screening before the wider release in February 2012 and I think it would have had a decent shot at the nomination, but they didn't.

Disney left all of 2011 to the Brit dub of Arrietty.

Tenchi wrote:

Not that I'm a huge fan of Best Picture getting 10 slots (or 9 this year, I don't know why they arbitrarily removed one without going back to five).

Best Picture can be up to --but doesn't have to be-- 10. Just like Best Animated can be max 5 but doesn't have to be max always.

http://www.oscars.org/awards/academyawards/rules/86/rule16.html

• The pictures receiving the highest number of votes shall become the nominations for final voting for the Best Picture award. There may not be more than ten nor fewer than five nominations; however, no picture shall be nominated that receives less than five percent of the total votes cast.

Last edited by enurtsol on Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:44 am; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:19 am Reply with quote
The expanded the slot for best pictures in order to get more viewers. If more films people enjoy have a stab at winning, just maybe they'll watch.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:40 am Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:

CrowLia wrote:
Also: Ouch Pixar. First Cars 2 and now MU. Why won't they take the hint "we don't want more half-assed sequels"? Then again, what do they care if the godawful Cars/Planes franchise is bringing them bucketloads of money :/

Y'know, with TS3 and MU behind us, and the Finding Nemo sequel to follow, I look forward to a day...I don't know, maybe five years, ten years away, I'm just dreaming...when we can STOP telling angry knee-jerk Disney-Pixar fans the story of how Pixar was forced to do the sequels to properly bury legal/ownership obligations dating back to those crappy Circle 7 sequels Eisner threatened to make during his well-publicized feud with Pixar. (Well, okay, the script to Eisner's Monsters sequel wasn't "crappy", but Pixar was barred from using it anyway.)

I know, it's just a dream, but I have hope and faith, someday, education and knowledge will prevail, and we can finally rest knowing our work has been done... Rolling Eyes

I'm just going to ignore your condescending tone because it doesn't change the fact that Cars is the worst thing that ever came out of Pixar (and a third one's already on its way, plus the Planes sequel, which I know doesn't belong to Pixar, but sprouted from the Cars universe, so it might as well have), and MU was... okay. Just okay. So my point about Pixar putting out a bunch of half-assed sequels just to rake in more cash stands (which is frustrating considering that both Toy Story sequels were fantastic)
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:04 am Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:
The committee doesn't like Dreamworks and Illuminations taking over the category (that they've come to expect "should" go to either Pixar or Disney),

Not going to argue that Pixar usually wins this category, but Disney alone has actually never won Best Animated Feature for something they produced.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:28 pm Reply with quote
*possible spoilery stuff being commented on*

enurtsol wrote:
I prefer Tangled a bit more than Frozen mainly because there's a couple things that just bugged me more in Frozen. *Possible spoilers* I don't like how the guy just turned heel seemingly all of a sudden - although I like how it broke the mold of first love at first sight for all time that's so prevalent nowadays including anime/manga, and that the act of true love after all that didn't turn out to come from any guy - or any other person for that matter. (If that was his plan beforehand, why didn't he just let the queen be hurt in battle?)

So you had the same problem with Frozen that I did, huh? That's why I've been arguing with some people on the internet who, obviously in a fresh fandom state, call it the best Disney movie ever.
...They ignored the flaws that are so blatantly obvious.

The undeclared, un-definied villain(s) were a big flaw of Frozen. I do loved how 'real' they made it by showing that everyone is not as good as they seem; that no one is perfect; and that loving family is just as important as anything else.

I'd add the stupid snow-man (olaf)'s constant, almost forced humor, even during important scenes to be a put-off. Even in the important scene where she could die at the end, he cracks a joke about the melting thing. I'm all for humor with the "mascot" characters but there is a point when its too much.

Still love the move, though, and will buy it when it releases on DVD/Blu.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I see a lot of people think the award comes down to the Wind Rises & Frozen but Ernest and Celestine is also a strong contender. It won a number of awards'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_%26_Celestine#Accolades
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:12 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Mohawk:
Quote:
It may get nominated, but there's no way in hell it will win when they come to the realisation it's a tribute to the man which designed the plane that bombed Pearl Horbour and got the US into WW2 finally.

Again, they included that Nazi propaganda movie bitch in a tribute when she died, so anything's possible.
Because her movie, which they sort of have an interest in being the Academy of Film and all, didn't attack any US territorial possessions causing much death and destruction like the Zero did. A minor point I know, but maybe they will over look that one. Forgive and forget and all that. Wink
silentjay

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
R. Kasahara wrote:
RedemptionRevenge wrote:
The reason that Spirited Away won the Oscar is because it was so unique, both visually and in terms of its plot, and the Academy would have been stupid to let that one slip through its fingers.

Don't dismiss Disney's influence that easily.

The thing is, if either wins, Disney wins. They're invested in both, so as long as one wins, they still have a winner.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk:
Quote:
Because her movie, which they sort of have an interest in being the Academy of Film and all, didn't attack any US territorial possessions causing much death and destruction like the Zero did.

Yeah, but it probably helped motivate the Germans to give our troops the 'ol Malmedy Massacre.
Sylpher3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
*possible spoilery stuff being commented on*

enurtsol wrote:

So you had the same problem with Frozen that I did, huh? That's why I've been arguing with some people on the internet who, obviously in a fresh fandom state, call it the best Disney movie ever.
...They ignored the flaws that are so blatantly obvious.

The undeclared, un-definied villain(s) were a big flaw of Frozen. I do loved how 'real' they made it by showing that everyone is not as good as they seem; that no one is perfect; and that loving family is just as important as anything else.

I'd add the stupid snow-man (olaf)'s constant, almost forced humor, even during important scenes to be a put-off. Even in the important scene where she could die at the end, he cracks a joke about the melting thing. I'm all for humor with the "mascot" characters but there is a point when its too much.

Still love the move, though, and will buy it when it releases on DVD/Blu.

I guess I’m one of the people in a fresh fandom state (and I love it). Though I wouldn’t call it the best Disney movie (that one goes to Beauty & The Beast), I do think it’s one of the best since it brings back the magic of the Disney Renaissance. I love the characters, the animation, most of the songs and the themes which very much resemble the things I liked about the movies from 20 years ago.
Sure, it has some flaws: The male characters are underdeveloped, the story is the weakest part and I disliked the troll song, but it hardly mattered. Frozen does too many things right for me to be bothered by its flaws.
I expect it to win the Oscar.

About the villain: I read an explanation on this person in the Disney Wikia and it kind of make sense. The villain drops some hints in his/her song and after watching it the second time the plot-twist feels less like an asspull and more like it’s intelligently constructed.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Oscar Winners:

Animated Short: Mr. Hublot by Laurent Witz and Alexandre Espigares

Animated Feature: Frozen
Deadwing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:27 pm Reply with quote
DAMN YOU ACADEMY OF MOTION PICTURE ARTS & SCIENCES!!! *shakes fist angrily*

I haven't seen Frozen yet, but was it really that good? Or was it more like 2013 animated films like what Titanic was to live-action in 1997, this big phenomenon that's just hugely successful both critically and financially and wins by virtue of its hugeness?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Well, when most critics are putting it on their "Best of 2013" lists, it's pretty much beyond just being a "big film" like some kind of summer tentpole.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5