• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Smoke Gets In Your Eyes

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Wish my anime club at the university lasted longer, because I had genuinely wanted to be a member after my first visit years ago. Took me too long to finally get to campus without relying on a limited train schedule. If only I'd learn the freeway sooner, then maybe I could have hung out with them more. They were a great bunch.
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Ugh. Perfect Blue. When Satoshi Kon passed away, we had a weekly movie showing in our college anime club where we showed Satoshi Kon movies until we went through all the ones the library had, and then had an academic discussion about it afterward with a professor. We got history professors, film professors, and even science professors to join in. But our social philosophy professor jumped out at the last moment and we were filled with... well, the professor who heads the famously ultra-feminism sub-group in our school (they made a name for themselves by storming the school in protest of the age-old mascot being representative of a male, and they wanted to change him into a female--so we're not just talking normal feminism, but "ultra-feminism"). Of ALL movies to be shown to this person, she got stuck with Perfect Blue.

The club was almost barred from having public events after that. Our last film was cancelled and we had to submit an extra review request that year. We were lectured by the president of the school and threatened to be disbanded unless we could prove to the review committee that our club had academic substance to it and wasn't just showing "entertainment with intent of exploitative discrimination."
Then we were bombarded with questions about having the license to show anything we were showing without direct permission from the creators... but that's another issue altogether.
We survived by showing the committee the Ghost in the Shell movie and then following it up with a [very fluffed up and G-rated] discussion about Chobits and its anti-sex themes, both to express that anime with near-nudity isn't actually hentai or exploitative of women...
Meanwhile, the library still has the Perfect Blue poster up on the end of the anime DVD shelf to represent the section. =P
Rokk3000

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Actually, AAC can handle 5.1, though it's rarely done. It's interesting that with all the technology created and build there, most Japanese homes only have access to stereo sound, not surround sound. After all, disposable income for most Japanese is reasonably comparable to North America. I guess they have different priorities.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:52 am Reply with quote
I think that if you check the general public, you will find that most people in this country don't have and are not interested in 5.1 sound. This seems to be limited to a specialized group. Not even all anime fans care about sound quality beyond a reasonable minimum.
southplumb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:31 pm Reply with quote
The anime club at my college started around 1997 and has been a recognized student group for most of the time since then, mainly so it can reserve meeting spaces. There is an adviser, and I think he might even come to meetings sometimes, but as far as I know there is not a lot of supervision and the group doesn't get funding from the student congress. Every semester there is a meeting to decide a schedule (there is now a formal vote, but I think that has reduced the variety of shows, or at least reduced the number of titles I want to see) and then it is up to the leading group to get the titles, and usually that means putting fansubs on someone's laptop. I think they might be a little too loose with intellectual property, but no one seems to worry about those issues. The group has several members who aren't students, and they might provide the continuity that has kept the group going, while nearby college clubs have gone under. There are also some annual parties and events, such as running a video room at the local convention and occasionally we produce a zine or a parody musical. I think the constitution says something about donating videos to the university library, but I don't think that is done and the library has some anime and manga already.

It seems to me that one could find some kind of educational merit in most shows, even if it is just social science criticism. My university cares more about copyright than content. If the administration is a problem, you could try being unofficial. You could use empty classrooms, though then it is hard to advertise meetings in advance, so you lose new recruits. In my area most libraries and some churches, cable access stations, etc. have meeting rooms and equipment that can be reserved for free and if you are willing to use fansubs, or members have their own stuff to show, you wouldn't need dues. The libraries also have anime clubs, but they are limited to teenagers and don't show anything very controversial.
partysmores

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:53 pm Reply with quote
We had an anime club my freshman year of high school.

Then some dumbass brought in Kite and the entire [expletive] school was on high alert. Anyone caught with manga would have their book torn apart to try to find any evidence of immoral material. I finally came before the school board and explained what anime and manga were and they lightened up a bit, but still didn't return the anime club.

Little does the school know the "Japanese culture" club still shows anime.

I currently go to an anime club at the community library for 6th-12th graders, we just got a deal with Crunchyroll so we can show simulcasts.
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:58 am Reply with quote
We actually do have an Anime Club at my high school, and I know almost nothing about it save for stuff from an article in the school paper. They do normal club stuff and watch series like Fruits Basket and Trigun. Literally, those were the exact words (at least the latter part).

Timberlane Regional High School, in case you're curious. Go Owls. Razz
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:54 am Reply with quote
I used to run the anime club at my high school. Trying to explain Chobits to our teachers was a little awkward. Since it was basically just me and my friends, we just used to hang out and chat like we did every lunchtime, but we had permission to be in a classroom. We did sometimes stay after school and watch films, which was fun since we could usually get a projector and have them on a big screen.
ReverseTitan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:15 am Reply with quote
Rokk3000 wrote:
Actually, AAC can handle 5.1, though it's rarely done. It's interesting that with all the technology created and build there, most Japanese homes only have access to stereo sound, not surround sound. After all, disposable income for most Japanese is reasonably comparable to North America. I guess they have different priorities.

No it isn't. Japanese disposable income is nothing compared to the US/Canada.

$42,050 is much higher than $27,763. In Canada, it's $32,662 compared to $27,763.
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
But our social philosophy professor jumped out at the last moment and we were filled with... well, the professor who heads the famously ultra-feminism sub-group in our school (they made a name for themselves by storming the school in protest of the age-old mascot being representative of a male, and they wanted to change him into a female--so we're not just talking normal feminism, but "ultra-feminism"). Of ALL movies to be shown to this person, she got stuck with Perfect Blue.

What's sad here is that if this professor were a normal feminist, Perfect Blue could easily have been a jumping-off point for some interesting discussions.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:51 pm Reply with quote
i have a feeling it will cost too much which is a reason why most anime excluding samuari champloo and moribito get the 5.1 treatment.

also , there are a lot of people that liked over the top ecchi/fanservice series like queens blade and highschool dxd. its those type of series that made some of us otakus back in the 90's ( Ninja Scroll , Mad Bull 34 )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2