• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Idea Factory Discusses Censoring in Western Monster Monpiece

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I did make my opinions and points on the subject known. You just chose to dismiss them (why am I not surprised).
You say this and then say...

Quote:
All I got from your comments is that "These pictures don't jive with my set of arbitrary morals,
So basicly what you're crying about is my ignoring you're points, which I've haven't. I've replied to every single one and then just trying to dump everything I've said and explained as being random and without a system, and you want to cry how I'm just dismissing you when you do the very same thing?

Quote:
so no matter what anyone says they are wrong and the people who consume them are wrong."
See again, you prove my point. I haven't said anything like this. I've said I don't understand it, but I've strayed from calling people wrong and creeps outright. You on the other hand just continue to dismiss this and cry about other's dismissing you.

Quote:
Nothing but insult throwing and rhetoric
Pot calling the kettle black. I've said very little insults to basically everyone participating in this discussion.

You on the other hand aren't actually interested in this. You've spent more time attacking others then actually talking about any of your points. You should just stop, it's embarrassing. Or at least attempt to explain how this "it's fictional" excuse works. Oh wait, we've already moved passed it, we've already moved passed everything quite honestly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
ThisJustThis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:02 pm Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
When J-developers see that "edits" are not a big deal in their home turf, they'd carry that thinking over when they port their games outside Japan.

It seems like your opposition to censorship is such that you'd ban people from changing the game in different countries if you were given that authority.

This is a good point, and actually relevant to the original conversation.
It's not "America" censoring Japanese games or "Japan" censoring American games. There are specific individuals or groups responsible that may or may not represent the opinion of the general public. Whether there is an "opinion of the general public" at all is questionable, since nobody can even come to an agreement here.

The fact is that IF willingly chose to change their game. Whether that's a good or bad decision, no one is outright forcing them to. But they're not obligated to give you an un"censored" or even unedited version (off topic, what's with JAV censorship?). This is a product that is being "adapted" for Western markets, markets that they believe are too sensitive for some of the material. Excluding their niche fans, I think they're probably correct.

While I'm absolutely against censorship, there are many cases where I do wish companies voluntarily exercised more restraint, because adding sexual elements limits the audience for little gain. Stuff like random fan service. Many times, it's more of a disservice really... I may be desensitized at this point, but it's one of the reasons I have a hard time introducing/selling anime to people. That shower scene is not in there as an exercise of "free speech" or as some sort of ideological statement. It's not even in there to be edgy or controversial. It's in there because "fans" have gotten used to it or expect it, while it turns everyone else off. I'm not ultraconservative or backwards, I just want more people to be able to enjoy what I enjoy.

If you want to talk about slippery slopes, it goes the other way too. How far will it go before it passes your level of comfort? Or should we just indiscriminately allow anything to go? I think cursing is a good example. Sure, it's fairly harmless, but I'd still rather not have little kids telling me to "f*** off" (ironic how it's censored here, huh). There's a point where common decency/sense should kick in.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11