Forum - View topic
NEWS: Official Live-Action Attack on Titan TV Ad's 1st Photo Debuts


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Stark700



Joined: 30 Jan 2012
Posts: 11646
Location: Earth
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, it's actually coming next year?! Wonder how far this will cover..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hagaren Viper



Joined: 28 Apr 2011
Posts: 562
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Jeez, I thought that was a screenshot from the film itself and was worried what they were doing with the story if there was a car in it. Titans dont look too bad though, will be interesting to see them in motion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Apashi



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Posts: 75
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Wow! This looks ambitious! I'd love to see this commercial Very Happy
If the same people from Gantz are doing this then I bet it's going to be good. Can't wait for more updates down the line about this!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dan9999



Joined: 25 Oct 2011
Posts: 648
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:42 pm Reply with quote
The titans scream FAKE, its would be lower than low budget if titan appear as in this commercial, at least they should do an excellent work with the makeup, but probably cg would look even more fake.

SO in short, I cannot see this being good in any way.

Maybe the titans would be the least fake looking, more worrisome is how they will make the humans fight them and use the gear that obviously its impossible with real physics, judging by other movies, this would look the most fake.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
unready



Joined: 07 Jun 2009
Posts: 391
Location: Illinois, USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Nit:
Quote:
The model was about two meters (about six meters) tall and required seven people to operate.

I think you mean 2 meters is 6 feet.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Man vs Pillow



Joined: 23 Jan 2014
Posts: 18
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:58 pm Reply with quote
It will be interesting to see them make it, but the way the titans will end up looking will determine if I like it or not. That, and the fact that if every actor in the movie be Japanese, that would ruin it for me. I mean,

(MINI SPOILER)

there's only one Japanese person in the series.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Leebo



Joined: 14 Nov 2005
Posts: 660
Location: Somerville, MA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:00 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
The titans scream FAKE, its would be lower than low budget if titan appear as in this commercial, at least they should do an excellent work with the makeup, but probably cg would look even more fake.

SO in short, I cannot see this being good in any way.

Maybe the titans would be the least fake looking, more worrisome is how they will make the humans fight them and use the gear that obviously its impossible with real physics, judging by other movies, this would look the most fake.


We haven't even seen it in motion yet. Sure, Japanese sci-fi movies don't have a great track record for visual effects, but I'm going to wait until there's movie footage before I start shitting all over it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Toester_Strudel



Joined: 17 Oct 2012
Posts: 98
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, they definitely look like titans to me. Now I'm curious to see the 30 second ad and then wait to see how much the titans will change in appearance before the film is complete.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Waraich



Joined: 25 Mar 2013
Posts: 37
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Why the fudge is tehre a car in it? i hope its just in there as some really stupid product placement and wont be in the actual movie
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zaku21



Joined: 23 Jan 2014
Posts: 1
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:10 pm Reply with quote
"Principal photography on the live-action film itself has yet to begin, and the staff has not decided if the Titans in the film will appear as they do in the commercial. Still, Higuchi was grateful for this "welcome opportunity" to create a preview of what is to come. "

Means this is just for the Subaru commerical and people should read the whole article before complaining lol but I'm stoked for the live action film coming out in 2015, I'm taking a wild guess that we'll hopefully see some sneak peeks around fall / winter this year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zatheyll



Joined: 06 Jan 2014
Posts: 39
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Waraich wrote:
Why the fudge is tehre a car in it? i hope its just in there as some really stupid product placement and wont be in the actual movie


Must suck not being able to read.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dan9999



Joined: 25 Oct 2011
Posts: 648
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
dan9999 wrote:
The titans scream FAKE, its would be lower than low budget if titan appear as in this commercial, at least they should do an excellent work with the makeup, but probably cg would look even more fake.

SO in short, I cannot see this being good in any way.

Maybe the titans would be the least fake looking, more worrisome is how they will make the humans fight them and use the gear that obviously its impossible with real physics, judging by other movies, this would look the most fake.


We haven't even seen it in motion yet. Sure, Japanese sci-fi movies don't have a great track record for visual effects, but I'm going to wait until there's movie footage before I start shitting all over it.


I want to be positive, but you and me know how japanese actions movies turn out (let alone sci-fi), last time I had some hope (Gantz) I ended up with a movie that seemed more for laughs than anything else. If its drama then its another story, because comedy also suck bad bad bad.

Let see a bit of the commercial and the titans in motion:


http://youtu.be/KK0yCeuBSqc

You cannot deny the makeup looks very cheap and fake (female titan, the othe rone looks less fake), it looks a little bit less fake from far away in the commercial but still noticeable, specially the mouth looks very cheap, hopefully the movie has better budget and maybe, only then maybe, the titans can work out somehow, still wonder how humans fighting them and jumping on them and on buildings would look like....

Man vs Pillow wrote:
It will be interesting to see them make it, but the way the titans will end up looking will determine if I like it or not. That, and the fact that if every actor in the movie be Japanese, that would ruin it for me. I mean,

(MINI SPOILER)

there's only one Japanese person in the series.


Agreed. Its seem highly probable that it will be mostly or only japanese, and probably it will be a bunch of unknown amateur teen actors at best save for Mikasa and Eren maybe.

I think that for this to work well, you need to ditch teenagers and get 25-35 year old actors instead otherwise it will further look so fake with teenagers, it can work in manga/anime but I cannot see it work so well in live action.

While I dont like HW, I think Shingeki is(was) the perfect choice to adapt a japanese manga to live action and having real chances of becoming a sucess, maybe even a hit like when everyone got aware of it after the anime, even better no need to remove any japanese elements, since its basically totally western save for Mikassa´s Mom and Mikasa being a half.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MechaGolem



Joined: 24 Jan 2014
Posts: 6
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:21 am Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
Leebo wrote:
dan9999 wrote:
The titans scream FAKE, its would be lower than low budget if titan appear as in this commercial, at least they should do an excellent work with the makeup, but probably cg would look even more fake.

SO in short, I cannot see this being good in any way.

Maybe the titans would be the least fake looking, more worrisome is how they will make the humans fight them and use the gear that obviously its impossible with real physics, judging by other movies, this would look the most fake.


We haven't even seen it in motion yet. Sure, Japanese sci-fi movies don't have a great track record for visual effects, but I'm going to wait until there's movie footage before I start shitting all over it.


I want to be positive, but you and me know how japanese actions movies turn out (let alone sci-fi), last time I had some hope (Gantz) I ended up with a movie that seemed more for laughs than anything else. If its drama then its another story, because comedy also suck bad bad bad.

Let see a bit of the commercial and the titans in motion:

http://youtu.be/KK0yCeuBSqc

You cannot deny the makeup looks very cheap and fake (female titan, the othe rone looks less fake), it looks a little bit less fake from far away in the commercial but still noticeable, specially the mouth looks very cheap, hopefully the movie has better budget and maybe, only then maybe, the titans can work out somehow, still wonder how humans fighting them and jumping on them and on buildings would look like....


Your comments betray a real lack of understanding regarding Japanese cinema, SFXs (or tokusatsu), and art in general.

As noted Japanese film critic and historian Donald Ritchie points out in the opening of his classic book A Hundred Years of Japanese Film (2nd Ed. 2012) Japanese art embraces what's called a “presentational” aesthetic while western art embraces a “representational” one. The difference, when it come to film, is that western-style “representational” art aims to represent, or recreate, reality as we know it on the screen, so as to fool the audience, as it is, into believing what they are seeing is real, even if it’s a giant monster or the destruction of an iconic landmark they know is still standing. In contrast, Japanese art, which is “presentational,” aims to present, or create, a reality rather than try to recreate our own.

Because of this basic aesthetic philosophy Japanese artist of all kinds - be it woodblock print makers, bonsai gardeners, kabuki theater practitioners - have never felt any desire to ever portray anything in their art "realistically."

This even applies to anime too, or have you never noticed how "fake" people in anime look with their big eyes and multicolored hair?

When it comes to Japanese SFX, or tokusatsu, this artistic ideology becomes even more pronounced and manifests itself in an almost fetishistic attraction amongst Japanese SFX artists - like director Shinji Higuchi - to practical effects work like minitures, rubber monster suits and make-up. This goes all the way back to the founding father of Japanese SFX, Eiji Tsuburaya who created Ultraman and was one of the co-creators of Godzilla.

Often the assumption amongst western viewers as to why Japanese SFX productions look the way they do with their emphasis on rubber suits, miniatures and CG that - when employed is never quite as photo-realistic as what one would see in an American production - is that the Japanese lack the monetary funds necessary for SFX more on par with those seen in the west. That said products are "cheap."

This is simply not the case. If you want to see a recent Japanese sci-fi film with Hollywood-style CGI SFX see Takashi Yamazaki's live-action Space Battleship Yamato (2010) which is amazing. But still an exception, and the reason is the difference in Japanese aesthetic philosophy, which the Japanese are very proud of.

Recently, in fact, Neon Genesis Evangelion creator Hideaki Anno teamed up Hayao Miyazaki and Shinji Higuchi to curate a special exhibit at the Museum of Contemporary Art in Tokyo on the history of Japanese SFX. Video of the exhibit here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3unlD_XIhQ

In a special guide book produced for the exhibit Anno described Japanese SFX as a uniquely form of “craftsmanship” which is decidedly “distinct from VFX or CG" used in Hollywood productions.

He later drove this point home in a July 2012 interview with the Japanese newspaper Front Runner in which he explained why Japanese SFX and superior to Hollywood-style CGI SFX...

Quote:
CGI doesn't produce the feeling of presence where you are looking at something there without mediation. A miniature is something that is actually there, so that even as an image on a screen it produces a feeling of presence. I think that human perception actually grasps this difference.... I think that, even more than anime, Japan should first of all be proud of Godzilla.


So yeah it has nothing to do with being "cheap" or "fake" and everything to do with you being able to overcome your cultural biases about what good art is. Not all good art needs to be photo-realistic.

As Japanese actor Shiro Sano puts it in his discussion on the topic: "Realism is not the point. It's about style; it's about mood."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrTerrorist



Joined: 20 Oct 2010
Posts: 1140
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:59 am Reply with quote
Good God! Shocked
These Titans look so much creepier than the anime/manga.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LinkSword



Joined: 06 Jun 2013
Posts: 188
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:05 am Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:
Good God! Shocked
These Titans look so much creepier than the anime/manga.


I disagree. But they are doing a good job so far.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group