• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Nobunaga the Fool Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:05 am Reply with quote
It's not like this season is any different from the past several years of seasons where Sentai grabs tons of titles, many of which turn out to be duds, others end up winners. For them, I guess it's basically like sorting through the bargain bin and determining that profits can be made on all of these series depending on how they eventually want to handle their releases. Did the show end up good, did it get good stream numbers – then dub it and release on BD. Was it something no one cared for – sub only DVD. They license them early so that they have them regardless of how they end up. Imagine if they had waited until Girls und Panzer had become a smash hit, the licensing fees would have been way beyond them. Just because someone dislikes a show doesn't mean it might be a bad decision to license it. Sonico, contrary to what people believe, does has fans in the West who already knew her from Nitro+ and from her previously released merchandise. It's certainly more to go off of than Wizard Barristers and Nobunaga.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:50 am Reply with quote
Licensing is an inherently speculative venture even if you do wait until some metrics are in: i.e. streaming numbers, gauging fan interest from anime discussion forums, etc. I have no doubt that companies pick titles that under-perform (or exceed expectations) all the time. This shit ain't a science.

But the folks making these decisions at least have sales figures for past comparable titles to mull over as well as their own experience in the industry, which for some of them, means decades of being in the trenches. In short, they are much better positioned to make informed speculation than some dude whose only real barometer is, "I personally liked/disliked this show so therefore it will sell like gangbusters/completely tank."

I certainly haven't seen any external signs that Sentai's overall picks from the past few years have been hurting them.
feuerwerke

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:29 am Reply with quote
Wow wrong Nobunaga show. Nobunagun is actually a good show worth buying, why not license that?
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:48 am Reply with quote
feuerwerke wrote:
Wow wrong Nobunaga show. Nobunagun is actually a good show worth buying, why not license that?

Because Funi already has it?

And I really, really disagree. Being the mythology geek I am, I'm actually getting mild enjoyment out of The Fool. Given, too, I've seen the actual play, I know what to expect in terms of pacing while everybody else is complaining about it.

I can't get enjoyment out of Gun for the fact that's its TOO absurd and over the top.
rootsofjustice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Man, when I heard the news I had to ask myself if I somehow woke up in Opposite Land. Nobunaga the Fool was supposed to be a FUNi pickup due to Kawamori's involvement and Nobunagun was supposed to be not-FUNi due to YTV being pretty heavily involved. Anime licensing is a strange animal.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:38 pm Reply with quote
The show is OK and it seems to be getting better, I just wish they would done something cool with Jeanne by now. So far all she's done is get rescued by Nobunaga and lay at his feet. Time for her to start acting like a knight and not the damsel in distress.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
I can't get enjoyment out of Gun for the fact that's its TOO absurd and over the top.

What, and Nobunaga the Fool isn't over the top? Okaaay . . .
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:41 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

What, and Nobunaga the Fool isn't over the top? Okaaay . . .

Note the "TOO."

It's just a personal preference really. It's the same reason why I couldn't get into the third quarter of Gurren Lagann yet was perfectly fine with the first two quarters.
BMDimension

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
They sure are getting a bunch of shows that are pretty questionable. Hope this doesn't backfire on them.

I think it's pretty hard for anyone outside the industry to determine whether a show is questionable. You may mean questionable in the sense that the shows aren't to your taste or liking, but that doesn't mean Sentai isn't going to make money off them. I love how some people assume that if they don't like a show then automatically that means it can't be profitable.
Questionable in that it's hard to realize if the audience will be there in the end.

Wizards was pretty good, but Mezzo tv started off great too. Awesome animation, intriguing characters, very fun and actiony. It seemed like a good show that people would want to buy based on the first two episodes. Of course after episode three comes out it nose dives in quality. I wonder if anyone even bought the show when it came out. I hope Wizards won't fall apart, but based on Mezzo Tv, Kite 2, and Gallie Donna I don't have much faith. I mean yeah right now based on episode 1, I'd buy Wizards, but it's better to ask when the show is done.

Nobunaga The Fool, well it's too early to say. I did'nt think the 1st episode was bad. The show is pretty stylish to say the least, but who knows where we will even be in 10 episodes. Plus it seems many have been dropping it already. Will this show be poison in the end? Will this be a show people want?

Super Sonico is already crap in my opinion.

So that's why I don't understand the point in licensing these shows so early, but I'm assuming there's more to it the dvd sales, sales that may not be there if these shows turn out to be crap in the end.

I have to agree with the level of questionable for example I atually love Nobunaga the Fool and see myself as enjoying it again and again so it has replay value. Pretty glad with Sentai on this title they just licensed! It all comes down to an anime fan's taste.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2