• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Vertical Vortex

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:10 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It sounds like The Origin is doing better than the TV series did, and that was broadcast on Toonami in its heyday.

Surprisingly, I only have the first volume thus far, but I plan to get more.

I think fortunately it's harder for Manga to date itself than anime. Despite the 80's fashion Yoshikazu Yasuhiko's art still looks as gorgeous today as it did years ago. Unlike the animation and pacing of the Gundam series.
osakaedo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:16 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
I regret missing the call for Twitter questions. I'd like to know how The Drops of God is doing, seeing as how it was announced (IIRC) on ANNCast a few years back.

There have been no options granted to extend the title. Volume 1 did very well but the rest of the series outside of New World has been a major flop. With sales dropping around 45% volume after volume. (A record high for us. Most series see an average 15-20% between volumes, until they reach their core; usually around volume 6 or 7).

However we are in progress of doing a regional promotion for the series, with a local sommelier and major restaurant.
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:53 pm Reply with quote
GhostOfSide3 wrote:

Urusei Yatsura is a great choice. I've got VIZ's old release of it, as a matter of fact Vertical's tumblr liked my photo of that volume quite some time ago. Love that stuff.

Sad that Glenn Danzig was the last person to attempt to bring Go Nagai's manga out, but then again maybe he's the reason we haven't gotten it since. haha.

I LOVE Urusei Yatsura, damn it! I used to have a couple of those old Viz volumes, and I have some of the old bilingual volumes and the first bunkoban. Nice to hear it's your favorite manga, Ed. Although I guess it's off-limits to anybody except Viz. I really don't understand why they haven't tried it again. For Godsakes, even Maison Ikkoku got another go-around. Bleh, maybe something will happen with this Ranma renaissance...or not. Welp, this is why I'm learning Japanese. This and Fist of the North Star Deluxe Editions.

Yeah, for someone who claimed to be such a big fan of his work and even got the Devilman logo tattooed on him, Glenn Danzig did a horrible job of bringing it over, namely because he brought SHIN DEVILMAN over instead of DEVILMAN. BLEH. Kudos to you Ed for wanting it so much, here's to your continued persistence, but I'm an optimist. Anyway, I'm simply in awe that Devilman and Cutie Honey can't get published in this day and age. 5 volumes, which could probably be condensed into less, and 2 volumes. Cutie Honey is only 2 volumes, and it has NEVER been published over here. My God. (The Ironcat Cutie Honey is an early-90s sequel, BTW, not the original classic.) Luckily Discotek is picking up the slack with their releases of Nagai anime. I'm feeling really guilty that I haven't gotten the Cutie Honey boxset yet, because if it's doing terribly then I'm one less sale that they could have had, but then again I'm feeling really guilty that I can't make Discotek the beneficiary on a life insurance policy in my name and then arrange an "accident" for myself.

But anyhow, KICKASS to hear that Gundam is a hit. I love the original Mobile Suit Gundam (I'm almost done with it, working my way through it right now), so this deserves all of the success it can possibly acquire in the Earth's lifespan. I haven't gotten any volumes yet (SIGH so much wonderful crap to buy now, so much no monies in wallet...), but damn if I won't soon.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:17 pm Reply with quote
osakaedo wrote:
invalidname wrote:
I regret missing the call for Twitter questions. I'd like to know how The Drops of God is doing, seeing as how it was announced (IIRC) on ANNCast a few years back.

There have been no options granted to extend the title. Volume 1 did very well but the rest of the series outside of New World has been a major flop. With sales dropping around 45% volume after volume. (A record high for us. Most series see an average 15-20% between volumes, until they reach their core; usually around volume 6 or 7).

However we are in progress of doing a regional promotion for the series, with a local sommelier and major restaurant.

Man, I really hope you guys get to publish more of this series. My (now-ex) boyfriend who doesn't read manga or watch anime really enjoyed it when I suggested he read it a while back. I'm tempted to give it to my parents as well and they think I'm rotting my brain by reading manga Razz

And you answered my Twitter question Anime smallmouth
Arsenette

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:45 am Reply with quote
I've been enjoying the anime adaptation of Tonari no Seki-kun very much Smile I know it's been getting a following because it's just the right length for gag comedy. Poor girl...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2