• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you playing right now? Why?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:12 am Reply with quote
Just beat Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice (the 6th game in the series)! IT was pretty awesome and completely engrossing, though I did have two major complaints.

One was episode 4, which was just a single cour courtroom thing that was clearly put in there for padding. Though more of Simon is always fun for me.

But the really major thing has to do with Justice. In this game, we finally learn about spoiler[Justice's Father], however, the game acts the whole time like Justice doesn't know who spoiler[his mother is or where she is], which is something that was actually established in the 4th game! I was rather going "uh, why are we pretending this information is not known? Hasn't this information been known for like, two games now?" and then I had to double check on an AA series wiki to make sure I wasn't going crazy here.

Can't help but feel like Dual Destinies was better story wise and had better twists, but I definitely liked this one too. I still need to play the DLC episode though.
animecosplayer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:36 am Reply with quote
I guess I got bored of chasing zombies on Resident Evil: Biohazard and have decided to play Justice League instead. I really need a partner to finish this game fast or I'll be stuck in a certain level.
niji9t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:24 am Reply with quote
animecosplayer wrote:
I guess I got bored of chasing zombies on Resident Evil: Biohazard and have decided to play Justice League instead. I really need a partner to finish this game fast or I'll be stuck in a certain level.

You're referring to the new Resident Evil?
Abb4d0n

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:14 am Reply with quote
Currently I'm splitting my time between playing PLAYERUNKNOWN's Battlegrounds and War Thunder. PUBG scratches my itch for DayZ/ArmA-style open world combat without the sheer complexity of ArmA 3 and the alternatively irritating and enraging combat of DayZ.

War Thunder is the only kind of MMO I could really get behind; semi-realistic tank and air combat with far better gameplay, mechanics, and grinding system than World of Tanks. Currently doing the summer event to try and get my PaK Wagon and Type 63 SPAAG, as well as grinding for my first top-tier jet fighter, the MiG-15bis.

Believe it or not, I have never played a true JRPG. I spent most of my teenage years playing Western RPGs, in particular Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas. I've also enjoyed the modern Deus Ex games, but I haven't tried out Fallout 4 yet. Part of the problem is that I'm deathly allergic to turn-based combat. I hear the Tales Of series is quite good, but I can only play in PC. Are any of the Tales games on PC worth getting, or should I investigate an emulator?

There's also playthroughs of Undertale and STALKER: SoC 2009 Complete I could go back to. I wonder if my version of Brutal Doom will run on Windows 10...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:11 am Reply with quote
The game is really very awesome one to play.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Been up to some video game stuff lately (as my current avatar would indicate), guess I'll try to go in chronological order of what I've been up to

1) Danganronpa V3- I knew what I was getting into with this one, it's my third time on the merry-go-round here. Still a ton of fun and love to see all the ridiculous plot twists come about! But you definitely need to play the first two games first. I wanna say 2 is still my overall favorite, but damn if 3 didn't have some of my fav characters (Kokichi and Kaito), Kokichi in particular was a more likable Nagito in many ways. I feel like Nagito was often nuts for the sake of being nuts, but Kokichi had some hidden depths to him, so I prefer him.

2) Undertale- Since I play exclusively on console (well, and handheld, but no PC/Steam), I had to wait quite a while to play this one. I don't normally blind buy things without some sort of previous history with the series, but I went ahead and got the collector's edition + art book on this one (the physical Fangamer copy for PS4). I actually avoided spoilers for years once I found out the game would be my sort of thing, and I gotta say, it did not disappoint. It also shows how modern games can do things like cut back on graphical power and still win if the story and characters are good enough. It makes me wonder why so many other games have such trouble establishing characters when Undertale did it so effortlessly. Also, that OST, it is epic (glad my CE has it included!). And I liked how you needed to play the game multiple times to get the full story, since it's not a terribly long game to begin with, this is totally feasible and encouraged. If you haven't played Undertale yet somehow, it really is worth it on PS4.

3) Kingdom Hearts-specifically, the Final Mix in the PS4 collection. Now, I played this game way back during the PS2 era, so it's interesting to see hows its aged. It's so different from how I remembered it in so many ways, for example, the level design in KH1 is absolute garbage that I guess was passable at the time, but pretty much every worlds levels are a series of corridors and rooms that the game clearly wants you to hit in a certain order with no indication as to that order with a poor concept of how most of the rooms connect. I'll be this is what made the game seem a lot longer when I was a kid, because my reaction this time was "oh screw this, I'm asking youtube" also, I swear this game was longer than 24 or so hours as a kid (and that was doing enough bonus stuff to get the special ending). Also, when I beat the final boss, I was like "wait, how did I not die during a single one of those phases?" because I died a lot more on early bosses before I got the Cure spell than I did for later bosses.
But even with all my complaints about how hilariously parts of it have aged, it's still a damn fun game. And they did change a few things (this is Final Mix version), so things like glitches are fixed, but the one thing I remembered as a kid was on PS2, this game used the damn shoulder buttons for the camera, but now it uses the right analog stick like a real game. And in the PS2 version, you'd need to select examine, but now it just shows up as the triangle button contextually. I do find some of the aging to be rather quaint though, I remember frequently looking at things going "ok, so now we look PS2 graphics....and now we look HD, lulz" But they also added a few new cutscenes, which definitely helps clarify a lot of things. they aren't voiced, unfortunately, not sure if they are in Japanese, but I'm guessing in English, the VAs had all aged too much to really have that work. Bit of a shame, but at least they're there.
Also, I heard that in the PS3 versions, you would get an actual theme for your PS3 as you beat each game, and it's back for the PS4 collection. Though it's not a fancy dynamic theme, but it's kind of nice to get a bonus outside of the game itself.
But I'm trying to get back into it before KH3 comes out (something I will not believe is a thing until it physical exists, they've only been promising the game for eons now), maybe use some wikis when the story gets way too convoluted for its own good. It should be easier to manage now that I have everything in chronological order and stuff (and not spread out over 15 some years across 5+ consoles). So up next I'm doing Chain of Memories then the 358/2 Days movie before doing KH2 proper (internet insists KH2 will make more sense after these two, it can't possibly make less sense though)
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I got my copy of God of War III Remastered for PS4 today so I played for a while. I managed to die a few times even though I was playing on easy mode but I did enjoy it. The boss fights are very QTE-driven though and the game feels very linear so far, but I have only played through the beginning section. It reminds me a little of Darksiders (which I have on PC) but I think I like God of War III better so far. Probably the biggest problem is that there is no way to control the camera; the right stick is used for dodging so when I try to change the camera Kratos does a barrel roll.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:23 pm Reply with quote
A friend has been asking if Stella Glow was any good, which I couldn't say as I did not have it yet. It arrived in the mail today. I popped it in my 3DS and played 45 minutes which did not get me through the prologue. The game is a JRPG with turn-based combat similar to a Fire Emblem game but a bit more clunky (more button presses). Unlike most FE games it is fully voice acted, but the US copy has only English audio. The voice acting isn't bad so far and it looks good, but the amount of cut scenes has it approaching visual novel levels. The biggest problem is that I can only save at the end of each in-game day. In fact, there is no options menu at all; pressing either the start button or the select button only brings up an option to skip the current cut scene. All in all it seems like a decent game.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:16 am Reply with quote
Like my colleagues, I play a lot of Unkonw BattleGrounds players, in my opinion the best team game, I play together with three friends.

after that I like fighting games in the style of anime, it's sentiment, because I played when not 10 years old (mainly Dragon ball)

Path of Exile (PoE), I play, because it is the best MMO game in the world, after that I earn some money by selling exalted orbs. But I mainly play for pleasure Smile If anyone is looking for a companion to play in PUBG, I invite you. I can speak Polish and English.

Path of Exile and poe orbs is my job, I buy them when they are chep, and sell with little fee for me (steel best price on marker), so I love this game, cause I buy car and House from selling exalted orbs. If you want buy poe orbs, visit this poe shop https://odealo.com/games/path-of-exile
You'll see, taht is great place for PoE playes
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I played Yakuza Kiwami for a few hours today on my PS4. It's a remake of the first game in the series which came out on PS2. They did a good job on the remake. It looks good and plays pretty well, although the camera is a problem at times. There were a lot of cut scenes at the beginning but once the main character gets out of prison things open up a bit, though the game still stops me when I go in the wrong direction. There also only seems to be one place I can eat and drink to recover health and I can't seem to get into any stores so I could maybe buy health items for inventory. If I have a problem with a fight I cannot stop the fight to go to a restaurant but I can use healing items in inventory. At one point the game forced me into a fight right after a really tough fight where I lost almost all health so, of course, I lost. Fortunately, when I hit "try again" I got full health back.

Overall, this game is good enough that I will definitely pick up Yakuza 0 at some point and Yakuza 6 which comes out in 2018. I hope the remake of the second game, Yakuza Kiwami 2, gets released here.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:43 pm Reply with quote
HoMM III HoTa - because a few days ago came another HOT update, and now you can play HoMM 3D online without any Hamachi.
In addition, for half the game, you do not have to wait for the opponent's turn. The turn-based system starts working when players are already close to each other.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:48 pm Reply with quote
After playing Yakuza Kiwami the first time I did look up some info online but did not go through too much of the walkthrough so as to avoid some spoilers (though it's not hard to figure out how this will end). I played a few more hours today and would have played more but my hands are starting to hurt from mashing buttons. Every time the main character walks down a street he gets into a fight (which is fine since that's how you get XP to unlock new skills). I also was finally able to find stores I can actually go into to get health items which I needed because I ran into a really tough boss fight. I lost several times but kept at it (resisting the game's attempts to get me to lower the difficulty from normal) and finally beat the bastard.

So far, I think this is definitely my favorite PS4 game. I hope Yakuza Kiwami 2 gets released here soon, though it may take a while as Yakuza 6 drops in March and Sony probably doesn't want the two games competing for sales.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I tried playing Resident Evil 4 today and holy hell do the controls stink. Whether with mouse & keyboard or with a controller getting Leon to walk in a straight line is a challenge and aiming is a nightmare. I lasted all of 20 minutes and gave it up.

I have lots of games that have been sitting in my Steam library for months without being touched so of course I played one I just bought from the winter sale, Metal Gear Rising Revengeance. I got through the tutorial and the first chapter plus part of the second then my thumb got tired. Pretty much stunk it up in normal difficulty with D and C ranks but still had some fun. The game almost seems like a weird cross between God of War and Yakuza Kiwami - lots of button mashing with lots of QTEs for cinematic death scenes like GoW. Story isn't bad but fairly predictable, as predictable as me getting killed because healing between fights is for pussies. For what it's worth I had never played any game in the Metal Gear series before today.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:48 pm Reply with quote
i'm currently playing destiny 2 at this time. i mean sure there have its flaws, but its as addicting as hell to play. so much that i have more or less haven't touched any of my Pokemon games in months.

though i do from time to time try out the free games for subscription members like darksiders 2. tried deus ex mankind divided, but couldn't. not because it was bad but for some reason or another, that game as well as both destiny games and others like doom seems to make my PS4's CPU fan go into overdrive. in fact that fan only gets loud when i play games that have a large amount of GB's.

do anyone have this issue when they play mankind divided where the fan gets extremely loud and is there a way to at least make that system more quieter? cause it seems that even the ps4 pro which is got does the exact same thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:07 am Reply with quote
Yakuza Kiwami is getting to be a time sink for me. I just wanted to play around a bit which turned out to be several hours. I beat up some goons, found a bunch of locker keys, beat up some thugs, went bowling, beat up some yakuza, went to a hostess club and beat up some drunkards. Good times.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 17