• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you playing right now? Why?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I played Firewatch for about an hour. Walking simulator indeed. Actually more of a reading simulator at first. I got through all that and yelled at some naked girls for setting off fireworks. The game looks nice but I don't think it is something I can do for long periods as it can really get boring.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:43 am Reply with quote
Playing Gravity Rush on PS4 (it was on sale over the holidays on the PSN, because good luck finding a physical copy of the first game on PS4!) and it's fun and charming, though there's certainly some gameplay elements that could've used some polish (I swear I locked onto that flying enemy, land the damn kick!) Still, I am having fun with it, and there are cats involved! I'll see how I like this one before getting the 2nd one though.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:43 pm Reply with quote
^I have played Gravity Rush a bit myself on PS4 and also had some issues. I wonder if it is due to the fact that the game was originally released on PS Vita and then ported to PS4 (the sequel was made for PS4). I did like it well enough to buy the second game during the holiday sales on the PlayStation store.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Duplicate post deleted.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:30 am Reply with quote
There is a big sale on the PlayStation Store so I bought Rayman Legends and played through the first level. The game looks good and plays well. I died a few times but that's par for the course with me and platformers.
kellyon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:11 am Reply with quote
I'm about to start Persona 5 properly. Never played a Persona game before.
Booted it up late last night but decided against it once the Atlus logo appeared, I could've been kept up all night if I had gone through with it.
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I got Horizon Zero Dawn from the library. I'm not that far into it and that's because the gameplay mechanics, specifically hunting, are taking a while to get accustomed to. I think I may lower the difficulty just until I get the hang of it. Other than that, the game is very pretty to look at though some of the character and facial animation is rather meh.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Playing Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth: Hacker's Memory, because a title can never be too specific. You definitely need to play the first game first though, this one takes place during the first game (although I don't recall seeing any of these characters in the first game, so, perhaps spoiler[as the first game established parallel dimensions, it's actually in one of those]? That's what I'm going with).
It is, much of the time, the same exact game as last time (but at least they got rid of those stupid "go into the dungeon and find this random item" missions, those were awful), but they also added the Domination Battles, which are just hella fun. It looks to me like it's a bit similar to Megaten: Devil Survivor's battles, which means, I totally gotta play that next. One major thing I hadn't realized until more recently is that ABI's max went from 100 to 200! So that means I can make an even MORE completely broken version of Lilithmon in this game!
As for the story, I'm enjoying it, though it's taking it slower than I think the first game did and since the big stakes were in the game, the stakes aren't quite as big here. Of course, chapter 6 did have that moment that I swear was just there to make you go "damn, that's right! These guys did Danganronpa!"
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:18 am Reply with quote
Been about a week, and it seems I've beaten Hacker's Memory (and I also went through the bonus dungeon once).
Overall, I feel like I was getting burned out towards the end, but I did like a lot of the gameplay improvements over the first one (things like getting rid of those stupid "find this random object somewhere in the dungeon randomly" bs) and also things like having higher max ABI (to make Lilithmon and Lucemon even more broken) and I quite enjoyed the addition of the Domination Battles.
But I'll admit, the story and final boss were more impressive in the first game, as this one kind of needed to insert itself into the first game. I mean, Lilithmon made the final bosses of the first game a breeze for me too (if anything, the top henchman at the start of the bonus dungeon was 10x harder that either the final boss of the main game or of the actual bonus dungeon for me).
But if you played the first game and enjoyed it, and don't mind what's kind of more of the same, by all means, it's worth it to get this one. Thankfully this time around, I feel like you can survive a lot easier without the extra DLC 'mons (the ones you lost out in the first game were far more useful). I also do approve of being able to play dress up for your character (I went with the Joe/Gomamon shirt)

Next PS4 RPG I'll probably play is South Park. Before that though, I kind of want to play Devil Survivor on 3DS (since its battle system looks pretty similar to the Domination Battles I liked from Hacker's Memory). I've also read a good amount of the manga on that one. They also have the same character designer, but that's coincidence.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I've been playing Xenoblade Chronicles 3D a bit the past couple of days on my 3DS. I like the game but I do have some issues. My character was getting killed a lot by low-level stuff early on, fortunately I was able to find and sell a lot of collectibles to get some decent armor and leveled up a bit. Still, it always seems I'm at a disadvantage fighting solo against anything that is near my level. Recently though have had a party of 2-3 which makes a big difference. I got stuck on an unwinnable battle though. I have a special sword that is supposed to do great damage to Mechons (the main villains) so of course the game is making us fight a Mechon with a face that Not-the-Master-Sword does nothing to. The tutorial says we need to do chain attacks but only let me do that twice then never again, the battle went on, I kid you not, over 10 minutes with my party unable to damage the monster and it doing little damage to two of us (I had to revive one member about 12 times). There is some special gauge that has to be full I think to keep doing chain attacks. Upon further thought, I may have made an error in running away from a number of other battles since the game was insisting I get to the Residential Area to help the main character's GF (who dies in a cutscene anyway), maybe doing more battles as a trio will allow for more chain attacks.

Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do about my hands cramping and/or falling asleep trying to play this on the 3DS. It is also often hard to see what is happening on the small screen. I also wonder if I would have bought this game (and the sequel on the Switch) if I had known what the battle system was. For some reason I thought it would be turn-based combat, but it is one of these games that tries to combine elements of turn-based combat with real-time combat and I really don't like that. Trying to make strategic/tactical decisions while being attacked doesn't work for me (which is why I quit Final Fantasy IX). IMO, games should do one or the other.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Beat some games, woohoo!

First up, South Park: The Fractured But Whole. Fun game, but definitely for fans of the TV series. A good follow up to the first game, but I think I liked the combat in the first game a lot better. I feel like there were more moments in the first game that made me go "I can't believe I'm doing this", but this game was also really fun, definitely recommended for fans of the show.

And then I dug out my PSTV again! I had planned to play one game, but found I had apparently already stuck another game in it, so I rolled with it. Lost Dimension, which apparently also came out on PS3 (why did I get it on Vita then? I don't remember, tbh). I'll admit, I rather cheated on this one as the "true ending" requires NG+, which might be one more play though or 2, depending on how the AI is to you. See, in each area, one of your party members (of 11 max, including you), turns "traitor", except who it is is completely decided by RNG. The cool thing is, you don't actually have to vote off the traitor, you can vote off whoever (there's a special bad ending if you end up with 5 traitors though!), but for whoever is voted off the island, you get to attach their skill tree onto someone else (although you can't upgrade it any more, unfortunately). Still, this means that, other than the first floor traitor (who is always the same on your first play through, but it then randomized in NG+), everyone's experience is going to be different. I was pretty pissed when the game gave me the healer as the traitor, and not the useless guy! At least I taught him revive so I could pass that on (remember, while you don't need to kill the traitor, it is advantageous to in the end).
The story wasn't super spectacular, but I really loved the combat. As it went on and I got more powerful skills from the skill tree, it only made it even more fun for me! So yeah, it's a bit of a hidden gem on PS3/Vita, I'd highly recommend playing it, if you haven't already. Also, I cannot find any of the VAs, which annoys me (the credits only say Patrick Seitz did ADR, and I'd assume maybe a voice too, the game didn't have a ton of voice work anyway though)
moniker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:12 am Reply with quote
Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters

To be quite honest Im not really much into this kind of game, specially when its all about ghost or strategy types of games. I only took interest of this game because of the art style and this guy on wheelchair. I only had hots for this guy and the art style is up my ally so why not.

While playing it, Im really struggling and I have no idea how to play nor whats even going on. Theres no understandable guide and Im too lazy to read every text ever appear. Its really frustrating but I guess the storyline kinda makes up fo it... kinda. Since, its like watching anime and its episodic. Although the gameplay is complicated at most, its quite simple maybe when I look at closely: like its literally a boardgame with storyline + visual novel, after all.

Like I said, this isnt the type of games I play. I dont play any RPGs, MMOs nor FPS games.

I only play fighting games, brawler games, rhythm games and hach n slash games. So playing this was quite confusing. I feel satisfied every win I get but its really making my migraine worse from thinking too much, despite the moves required are probably simple to finish off the game.
kellyon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:43 am Reply with quote
Currently playing CS:GO. It's very entertaining. I joined new team at https://dreamteam.gg/csgo/teams recently. This is first eSports platform for players with different gaming skills. Now I can play CS with my friends for hours and even create new contests.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I played around with Splatoon 2 last night on my Switch. I thought that, although the game is primarily multi-player, there was supposed to be some kind of single-player content available but I could not find it. I instead played some random battles online to level up. I got to level 5 and bought some new equipment. Although I pretty much suck at it I found it more enjoyable than other online games (like Heroes of the Storm or Overwatch) since I actually managed to be on the winning side occasionally and wasn't always the worst player on the team.

EDIT: Actually I only made level 4 yesterday. Made level 7 today and found single player and salmon run content.

Last edited by OldCharlieStoletheHandle on Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Northlander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Aside from far too much Final Fantasy XIV -- if you play that game, never join a Free Company. If you do, it's far too easy to get completely lost in getting stuff done now that you have a whole crew of people who are far too happy to help you, and whom you will help in return. It's a two-pronged spare time annihilator.

Whenever I manage to keep away from that game, I'm continuing on my little maze project in Minecraft. I made a rather sizable one on the Xbox 360 version that I sadly can't transfer to the PS4 version, so I pretty much had to start from scratch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 17