• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gen Urobuchi Interviews

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kotelocl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Why not Nasu?

Now THAT would be difficult. A real challenge.
drdr48

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:07 pm Reply with quote
If you could ask him about what he said once, that he would maybe want to make either a shounen ai or shoujo ai shows.

I'm just curious about that.
StormVanguard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I have been a fan for years now, ever sense i first discovered Phantom: Requiem For The Phantom and Blassreiter there is no equal in anime script writing for me.

Something i have been wanting to know for awhile what was his inspiration for Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica and Suisei no Gargantia if you're able to throw in Blassreiter ask about that as well.

I feel his writing is very reminiscent to Yoshimune, Kouki's visual novel series Muv-Luv especially in Madoka Magica there's points about the characters the dialogue, time travel, witches and how kyubey see's humans and one scene in particular that mirrors an event in Muv-Luv.
spoiler[Tomoe, Mami's death] the funny thing is.. both series are highly controversial for the same exact scene.

You could even bring up Yoshimune, kouki's name somehow by talking about Isayama, Hajime and Attack on Titan since he's admitted himself how he was directly inspired by Yoshimune, Kouki's Muv-Luv.
OtakuKitten

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Well this is disappointing. I was really hoping an animator would get picked or maybe someone from Studio Trigger could talk about their work or the new studio. I guess the masses have spoken though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Please interview Yoshitoshi ABe...I'm very interested in hearing about his future plans, what he's been working on, and basically just everything about what he likes, doesn't like and thinks about anime, art, manga, literature and everything in general.

Anyway you should really interview him.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:24 pm Reply with quote
StormVanguard wrote:
Something i have been wanting to know for awhile what was his inspiration for Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica

Actually, Madoka Magica wasn't Urobuchi's idea. He almost turned the project down because he had no idea what to do for a Magical Girl series when he was asked. The initial concept was brought up by Shinbo, whose only initial requests were inspired by two previous series he directed: Nanoha and Petit Cossette. He wanted something to do with a cute Magical Girl series for an older audience again, as well as something really dark again, so he asked Urobuchi to come on and write something like that for him.

As for my own question, I have a metaphysical question for Urobuchi about the ending to Rebellion (***Madoka Rebellion story spoiler warning!***). I know a lot of people are asking the same question and Urobuchi hasn't exactly answered it yet, but the answer is crucial to understanding the ending, so I find it really important to clarify:

Japanese - spoiler[「叛逆の物語」のことですけど、ほむらが悪魔になってまどかの魔法少女でもない一部を捕らえたことが分かりますが、その一部ってのは何ですか。ウルティメットまどかの本体はまだほむらの結界の外に暮らしてますか。本体はその一部になったわけですか。なぜか魔女の存在は戻ってないからこれが気になるんです。]

English - spoiler[This is about "Rebellion Story." I get that Homura took the part of Madoka that wasn't a Magical Girl when she became a Demon, but what exactly is that "part"? Is Ultimate Madoka's true body still outside of Homura's barrier? Did it actually become the part that Homura took? For some reason, Witches haven't come back, so this question still bothers me.]

Last edited by Juno016 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
StormVanguard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
Actually, Madoka Magica wasn't Urobuchi's idea. He almost turned the project down because he had no idea what to do for a Magical Girl series when he was asked. The initial concept was brought up by Shinbo, whose only initial requests were inspired by two previous series he directed: Nanoha and Petit Cossette. He wanted something to do with a cute Magical Girl series for an older audience again, as well as something really dark again, so he asked Urobuchi to come on and write something like that for him.

That was ignorant of me, i guess i consider Urobuchi, Gen the true mind behind Madoka Magica. Script wise regarding motives and events everything just screams Urobuchi, Gen.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Enokido Youji! I missed the survey.
#Zero

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Togashi needs to be interviewed...
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
We're not publishing the results of this survey, sorry.

OK, if the result is not going to be shown. Then can you tell us who is going to get interview in the future beside Gen Urobochi??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
7jaws7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:43 pm Reply with quote
"We want Butcher!"

*clap clap clap clap clap*

"We want Butcher!"

*clap clap clap clap clap*
Little_Hawk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:10 pm Reply with quote
thewizardninja wrote:
I'd personally be incredibly interested in an interview with fellow writer Kazuma Kamachi (author of Toaru Majustsu no Index and Heavy Object), mainly because he hasn't ever done an interview with an English-speaking news source before. Apparently he's also fairly elusive, so he doesn't do many interviews to begin with. I didn't see him on the list though, and it would have to be one of those interviews with questions asked by fans as well.

This
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to hear his thoughts on working on his Kamen Rider show. If your a fan of Urobutchi you should check out Kamen Rider Gaim.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:00 pm Reply with quote
StormVanguard wrote:
That was ignorant of me, i guess i consider Urobuchi, Gen the true mind behind Madoka Magica. Script wise regarding motives and events everything just screams Urobuchi, Gen.

Well, the story and characters are indeed his (with some slight circumstantial modification during the production of the series). Shinbou had the idea with those general concepts down and had approached Urobuchi with them, but Urobuchi made the story and message himself. The only request he was given by Shinbou was "Make a dark Magical Girl series." After that, it was up to Shinbou and even InuCurry to carry the visual weight of the story.

Do note, though, that Rebellion was more of a team effort. Urobuchi still wrote the story himself, but he actually had a different ending in mind (a much happier one, I must say). Shinbou and Iwakami both convinced him to change it, using one of Shinbou's suggestions as a basis, and that's what led to the current ending. Urobuchi still eagerly wrote it to be what it was, but Shinbou's vague suggestion was what led to it, so... yeah.

bleachj0j wrote:
I'd like to hear his thoughts on working on his Kamen Rider show. If your a fan of Urobutchi you should check out Kamen Rider Gaim.

Indeed. Gaim is turning out quite "Urobuchi-esc." Of course, Kamen Rider has had these elements in the past, but the way it's being executed is so Urobuchi, it's almost predictable. Yet the later scenes still get to me, even if I predict them. Ugh. Anime hyper
StormVanguard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:

Indeed. Gaim is turning out quite "Urobuchi-esc." Of course, Kamen Rider has had these elements in the past, but the way it's being executed is so Urobuchi, it's almost predictable. Yet the later scenes still get to me, even if I predict them. Ugh. Anime hyper

Hm, can i watch Gaim without watching anything else?
Been wanting to pick up on Kamen Rider sometime along with a huge list of stuff such as Garo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3