• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Head Takes 50% Pay Cut, Outlines Smart Device Strategy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I guess it seems that Nintendo is having an issue with it's console appealing to a mass audience. While the portable is doing well, what can you offer people who bought the WiiU. Mind you I wanted to buy one since I never bought a Wii, but what other things does it have to offer aside from being a nice device for watching Netflix.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:11 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
dan9999 wrote:
What, this old fart belives a pay cut for a few months suffice? He should resign and let new blood with new vision take care of the company.

Thing is so-called "new blood" tend NOT to actually be as creative or as competent as people with experience. They mostly just make bad decisions

Iwata is on "Demotion Notice" He'll be CEO no more by May. Watch.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Ill be waiting for Pokemon to become an MMO
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:15 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
This appears to be what would have been expected to happen in response to the failure of the WII U to sell in the market. Not quite a doubling down, but a continued push of the console in combination with a side-bet on smart phone apps.

Is it enough? Well it is a bet. I think it is not bold enough and will not stave off an inevitable move to a more SEGA like model for Nintendo.

Kudos to the managers at Nintendo for being willing to take cuts in salary, though that will not materially impact the business. It is a good symbol that, yes, they do care what happens.

Mark Gosdin

SEGA just filed a new domain name and registered it internationally with the Worldwide Intellectual Property Organization(which means they are planning something significant and BIG).

So what do they have to do with this article?
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I guess it seems that Nintendo is having an issue with it's console appealing to a mass audience. While the portable is doing well, what can you offer people who bought the WiiU. Mind you I wanted to buy one since I never bought a Wii, but what other things does it have to offer aside from being a nice device for watching Netflix.

Nothing.

The only simpleton that wants to keep the Wii going is Iwata, his minions and the many hardcore ideological fanboys oblivious to Yamauchi and his family's rich history of successful consoles.

The rest of the company: The Yamauchi family and Nintendo Co,Ltd's VERY own shareholders and investors have other plans(including reviving Gameboy through a Mobile device line) and are interested in different markets like this:

Toys,Novelties, Electronic Cigarettes,Adult toys,Apps,Mobile,Educational Toys,Clothing,Home game consoles,Arcades,Luggage,Watches,Jewelry. Mostly for Asian markets.

Panasonic,Sharp and FCI Pony Canyon also want NTD split and sold off and Panasonic and Sharp have been in secret talks about a merger with Nintendo within 5 years.

I doubt Nintendo Co,Ltd will exist in a few years. The Mario Factory could be owned by either Panasonic or Sharp who are more interested in expanding the company as a novelty brand, they also want to reform Nintendo's console and portable strategy. In their eyes "Wii has GOT to go".
Levitz9

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:39 pm Reply with quote
#807803 wrote:
nintendo you can make bank by releasing:

The World Ends With You 2
New Banjo/Tooie Game
Mario Party
Pokemon Stadium like game

The first TWEWY game did quite poorly in Japan--and it's a Square Enix game, anyway. Nintendo has no control over that.

With Rare having gone with Microsoft, Nintendo lost the rights to Banjo and Kazooie. That one is out of their hands, too.

Pokémon Stadium is largely a dead concept by now. There was a Wii-equivalent a few years back that didn't do so well. What's more, Pokémon games have online features, tournaments, and ranked battles. Console ports are redundant by now: there isn't a single thing that a console Pokémon game could do that a Pokémon game on the 3DS couldn't.

As for Mario Party... we recently got one for the 3DS. Having one on the Wii U won't make a difference.

I have to question your logic in choosing these four games. Heck, Nintendo could make them all tomorrow, it really wouldn't change the Wii U's position. People would simply find some other excuse to not buy a Wii U. Nintendo's current efforts--improving Network IDs to an account-based system, instead of console-based, for example--aren't phenomenal ideas, but they're things that could help.

Quote:

The rest of the company: The Yamauchi family and Nintendo Co,Ltd's VERY own shareholders and investors have other plans(including reviving Gameboy through a Mobile device line) and are interested in different markets like this:

Toys,Novelties, Electronic Cigarettes,Adult toys,Apps,Mobile,Educational Toys,Clothing,Home game consoles,Arcades,Luggage,Watches,Jewelry. Mostly for Asian markets.

Panasonic,Sharp and FCI Pony Canyon also want NTD split and sold off and Panasonic and Sharp have been in secret talks about a merger with Nintendo within 5 years.

That sounds fascinating--have you got a link to a source? I don't like the sound of Nintendo as a "novelty brand" (let's face it: their IPs have too much recognition to be watered down in such a way--Nintendo is the face of gaming), but I'd like to see what else these people are considering.
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I'd LOVE it if we got a Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and Star Fox anime out of this licensing option. Nintendo has always been pretty stingy with anime adaptions. All we got was a Kirby and F-Zero anime. Well there's Pokemon, but does Pokemon even count? Game Freak makes those games so they're not exactly first party. Hell, it works for other companies on Nintendo consoles like Level5. Danball Senki and Inazuma Eleven have been great success with kids as well as otaku/fujoshi. Now they have Yokai Watch to add under their belt. Would love to see some Nintendo anime after all these years. A Mario anime in the style of the RPG handhelds would be awesome. Or maybe a gag anime like the Mario 4koma series. Zelda, Metroid, and Star Fox have been getting more and more cinematic over the years as well, so it shouldn't be too much of a leap for them, plus they got manga adaptions already

Levitz9 wrote:
I have to question your logic in choosing these four games.

They're his favorite. That's all it really boils down to for most people. "This thing is bad because it's not tailored to my tastes exactly" which is why a lot of people wouldn't make good company leads.. they go off what they want rather than what would sell well or do well financially. As you pointed out all those options would be terrible ideas financially
falloutgal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Here's an infographic I saw yesterday, thought some might find it interesting:

Thomson Reuters http://blog.thomsonreuters.com/index.php/nintendo-graphic-day/
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
#807803 wrote:
nintendo you can make bank by releasing:

The World Ends With You 2
New Banjo/Tooie Game
Mario Party
Pokemon Stadium like game

The first TWEWY game did quite poorly in Japan--and it's a Square Enix game, anyway. Nintendo has no control over that.

With Rare having gone with Microsoft, Nintendo lost the rights to Banjo and Kazooie. That one is out of their hands, too.

Pokémon Stadium is largely a dead concept by now. There was a Wii-equivalent a few years back that didn't do so well. What's more, Pokémon games have online features, tournaments, and ranked battles. Console ports are redundant by now: there isn't a single thing that a console Pokémon game could do that a Pokémon game on the 3DS couldn't.

As for Mario Party... we recently got one for the 3DS. Having one on the Wii U won't make a difference.

I have to question your logic in choosing these four games. Heck, Nintendo could make them all tomorrow, it really wouldn't change the Wii U's position. People would simply find some other excuse to not buy a Wii U. Nintendo's current efforts--improving Network IDs to an account-based system, instead of console-based, for example--aren't phenomenal ideas, but they're things that could help.

Quote:

That sounds fascinating--have you got a link to a source? I don't like the sound of Nintendo as a "novelty brand" (let's face it: their IPs have too much recognition to be watered down in such a way--Nintendo is the face of gaming), but I'd like to see what else these people are considering.

An anonymous tipster claiming to be an investor told me that Iwata is serious trouble with Yamauchi's Family(his son is next in line to be made CEO and wants Iwata demoted to Global Marketing) and that NTD's primary shareholders Sharp,Panasonic and Pony Canyon are buying off stake in NTD and plan on purchasing all of it's assets in which the Family agree in the hopes that it'll reform their console strategy in addition to open up new market revenue for Nintendo. Panasonic and Sharp WANT in on the Mobile market and feel that Nintendo is the perfect candidate that can give Japan the crown in the Smartphone market.

Yamauchi also wants Nintendo back in the Arcade business, because he feels SEGA is completely and totally monopolizing it.(In reality, SEGA is using its resources and veteran designer skills to overpower their competitors with superior,lower cost, impressively powerful and well designed hardware, The RingEdge 2 even has 2X more power than PS4/Xbox One and twice the processing speed.)

Meanwhile other shareholders want Nintendo to go back to their roots. They used to be a novelty company for decades and nearly a century. Nintendo is no stranger to the Adult market, they used run brothels and Love Hotels during the first half of the 20th century. Famicom also had dozens of different tie-ins with Adult Toy companies to sell Mah-Jong games back in the mid 80s.

Nintendo also used to be a toy company. Back in the 1950s, they sold children toys. The reason for the changes is simple: Yamauchi's son is pessimistic about NTD's direction. They fear that if Nintendo doesn't expand capital beyond consoles and portables, it won't survive the next decade.

As for SEGA, I've been talking to insiders who've confirmed all of my research. They've even told me that not only will SEGA be completely transformed into a completely DIFFERENT type of company and by the Fall of this year SEGASammy will exist and operate as SEGAOrbi, I was also told that SEGA plans to explore all sorts of markets and wants to license just about anything they can think of.

One of the insiders told me that SEGA is even planning on competing against Google(their answer to Youtube apparently called Sega "Let's Watch" and "Let's Play".)and Yahoo with a new Search Engine networking service called "GOSEGA". Both the descriptions and documents in SEGA's newly registered domain name and a NEW patent detailing Search Engine Networking confirmed their claims.

The reason why their planning these changes and reorganization is because in 2011, an army of investors seeing the company regain profit outside of software publishing presented to SEGA opportunities to invest in different venture businesses. Toshiba even approached them about re-entering the home console business and had already been working with them on new optical media. Sega has been planning on returning to the hardware business since 2004, but Haijime Satomi and his Chairboard did not give them the green light until November 2008, when SEGASammy successfully paid off the $3 billion dollar debt left by Isao Okawa. In 2009, SEGA renewed all of its original licenses to sell,market,manufacturer game hardware.

Each of SEGA's new journey into different business markets will be funded through joint ventures with different companies. BBC Worldwide is funding "Orbi Earth" a new Museum/Arcade hybrid. Development of this concept actually dates far back early as 2005 and started development in 2007 when SEGA closed down its original "Joypolis" location in Yokohama.

SEGA has $7 billion in cash and $6 billion in capital. The company's assets are being used to fund capital for the new businesses and SEGA has to spent most of that investment money on each of these new markets and divisions. By 2022, their capital is estimated to hit $18 billion Although Toshiba will fund their new home console/Arcade division Sega Entertainment Corp.Ltd Worldwide with $5 billion, SEGA has an extra $5 billion alone saved through equity from the past 10 years of operations.(Each year from 2004-2008 Sega received an annual net pay of $500 million, that doubled in 2009-2011 to $800 million.)

SEGA shall make everything official. Once "Sega Corporation,Inc" becomes "Sega Entertainment Corporation,Ltd Worldwide". With the WIPO, all SEGA has to do is get registration from the USPTO which since it was filed and handled in 2012 in the JTO, is make the changes requested that the US Trademark office is requesting: Make the description more detailed, add disclaimer or drop the word from the title and Registration will be immediately issued.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Why would anyone listen to this when it's already been proven wrong and his sources all sounds like BS?

Remember Sega dosen't leak anything! Except now they are leaking things to this random Forum poster and no one else!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Why would anyone listen to this when it's already been proven wrong and his sources all sounds like BS?

Remember Sega dosen't leak anything! Except now they are leaking things to this random Forum poster and no one else!

I love your trolling. I actually do through research and contact insiders. Your full of B.S.

You'll be eating crow about SEGA soon. Oh, wait I forgot! You don't know ANYTHING about the WIPO or how investors stragize.

Iwata has one quarter left to turn things around, or else he's downsized.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:14 pm Reply with quote
What, you don't like reading his fanfiction?
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I love your trolling.

Trolling? Is that what you call looking at your "research" and then pointing out the holes that you can't seem to argue with. Yes, calling me a troll seems to be the last resort of someone who is wrong.

Quote:
I actually do through research and contact insiders.

No you don't and besides anyone can say this.

Quote:
Your full of B.S.

Except I'm not. I don't present myself as an expert. I just look at the public facts and see your holes(much of with you have yet to argue aginst) such as

How did the Yakuza team make all those games when they do maybe 2 at a time? How did Yakuza 5 start in what 2008 or 9 when they still had to release plenty of other games and said Yakuza 5 only took two years. Why port Yakuza Ishin to PS4 which would of course mean they have invested in PS4 development when they have a console? "Oh thats because they are just finishing up thier 3rd party contracts blah blah". Ok which would make sense if these games were just coming to PS3 gen systems, but they aren't. If there is a Sega console these PS4 port ups would have started when that console would have been already known.

You said Sega dosen't leak anything remember? Now they are leaking things to you? Why you? Why are you the only one saying this and I don't know, more respectable websites? Why is one person on ANIME NEWS NETWORK FOURMS talking about this big things such as a new Sega Console. You know something that would have tons of development kits out there with the development community probably talking about it? You can leak things, but not people actually making games for it supposedly?

I contacted my insiders and they claim you full of BS. That's pretty easy to claim. And your research sounded like a bunch of conjecture based on vague words in trademarks that you claim are supposedly from Sega.

Quote:
You'll be eating crow about SEGA soon.
I sure hope so, but when this dosen't happen can I claim I'm right and that we should never ever listen to you?

Remember we have until March for them to announce this.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:19 pm Reply with quote
my uncle works at nintendo and he told me everything in that post is true
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
What, you don't like reading his fanfiction?

Wrong section. I'm sure there's a topic for creative works.

I would love Nintendo to become a pure software developer and rejoin the gaming mainstream. However, I don't see that happening unless they're still posting losses this time next year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4