• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Reveals Upotte's English Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:01 am Reply with quote
Once again, Sentai closely adheres to the stipulations of the Brittney Karbowski Full Employment Act of 2008.
anifani

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
David Matranga was an awesome choice. He sounds like he has improved VA wise from getting some direction and getting along with Mike Mcfarland.

I always like David's work, but is there a reason why he isn't even listed in the cast? Confused At least..... I don't see his name?
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
and another part is that he put too many of the "lower energy" actresses in the high-energy moeblob roles.

Maybe he's trying to make them play against type and give them more diverse roles instead of just shoehorning them into the same kind of role over and over again.
bs3311

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:26 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Maybe he's trying to make them play against type and give them more diverse roles instead of just shoehorning them into the same kind of role over and over again.

Thats basically what Chris Ayres did on Little Busters casting wise. Which resulted in a good dub.

invalidname wrote:
I always like David's work, but is there a reason why he isn't even listed in the cast? Confused At least..... I don't see his name?

Sure he is not posted in the cast list. But he is shown early in the first episode on introduction.

SpacemanHardy wrote:
How did they do with the lipsyncing? That's always been my main issue with Sentai dubs.

Yeah yeah, I know the Japanese don't really worry about it either, but still. It's easier to believe when the voice syncs up with the lipflaps.

Its nothing like Medaka Box. I only noticed a half a second audio on, flap closed piece. Yet not only there was little to no way to shorten the line without making the result be robotic dialouge but the delivery between the two characters was pretty funny so it was pushed far back in my mind.

Echo_city wrote:
When I heard that the director of this was praised for his skills by Chris Ayres-a man who has exactly ONE good Sentai-era dub (Maria Holic) to his name, and that might be due to the actress' skills DESPITE him-I was concerned, and rightfully so. I think that this director have potential, but it isn't really on display in this dub. Part of this is because the scriptwriters really phoned it in on this one, and another part is that he put too many of the "lower energy" actresses in the high-energy moeblob roles.

ONE? I love Maria Holic dub too. But what about Ef, Say, "I love you.", Another, MGX, Kokoro, Little Busters, Dusk Maiden, Shinning Hearts (though Molly was a bit shakey), and AKB0048?

Oh well, can't please them all.

I did hear from Illich Guardiola at Ohayocon 2014 that according to him, Serephim has hired some new staff for the studio. Which can probably mean more different script writers and audio engineers.

"Low energy"? Moe side did get decreased since that happens in pratically every english dub. Simmons did sound wierd to me in the first few minuets in the show, but after her gun rampage happend it started to sound like a new but natural voice for Simmons to try in future roles. And from hearing Funko in the sub, I did not notice any high energy in that performance compared to other high pitch comedy roles like Neptune, it was just a cute one which is still okay.

I can agree that her performance is the final decision on whether you like the shows dub or not. But seeing other roles like Molly changing her tone for her character along with hearing Nancey voice Elle where previously she voiced somewhat older women is pretty good. All the other roles together felt like a strong directed dub. Unless you nitpick on the first couple seconds of Mark X. Lasowski voicing a kid, it sounds like a good dub for a new director.

Plus Leraldo was a side-ADR director along with Steven Foster on the english dub of Nyankoi. Which was another surprisingly good dub. Even worked on the script for Btoom!

I'm not trying to burn you or anything. Just speaking whats on my mind. I just agree and disagree somewhat.
Jamie38459

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Sigh... why are they having a dub of this but not Place To Place? This anime isn't even good, the plot was decent but it got ruined by mediocre characters, passable music, sloppy storytelling and pacing, unnecessary fan service, and a horrendous second half...

spoiler[ First off, why would Ichiroku just call one of her best friends useless? The energetic happy go lucky girl just called her shy sensitive friend useless. It came out of nowhere and is just uncalled for. Oh and the same thing goes for the tournament, did we really need to drag it for like three gosh darn episodes? Oh but the worst part is in the last two episodes where the antagonists come down and shoot some of the girls and it builds up like it's going to be an awesome climax... but then the heroes let the villains walk off scot free. TALK ABOUT DISAPPOINTING! I WASTED HOURS OF MY LIFE FOR THIS AWFUL ENDING!? And there's honest to god A DUB FOR THIS? THEY ARE PUTTING MORE MONEY FOR THIS!? I hope this doesn't get another season Sad ]

Well either way this show sucks in my book.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Jamie38459 wrote:
Sigh... why are they having a dub of this but not Place To Place?

As much as I like Place to Place, I don't really think it would work as a dub. Many of the jokes/gags would lose their humor.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
ONE? I love Maria Holic dub too. But what about Ef, Say, "I love you.", Another, MGX, Kokoro, Little Busters, Dusk Maiden, Shinning Hearts (though Molly was a bit shakey), and AKB0048?

AKB0048 was one of the better Chris Ayres dubs, though the non-veteran cast was shaky. It was definitely a "higher energy" dub, at least with the veterans, than is this one; having seen AKB0048 (season one) dubbed made me expect more from this dub. I expected the ridiculous, high-energy visuals to be paired with a high-energy dub that embraced the on-screen ridiculousness (like, say Horizon's dub did). For me, one mark of an excellent English dub is that, when paired with a show that I don't care for, I realize that I want to watch that show, and watch it just because the dub is that good. Episode 1 of Upotte! didn't really have that.

I'm still thinking that Chris Ayres still has some issues as a director and that it is the actresses who are carrying him on his better dubs, as the main cast of his better dubs is populated largely by hardcore voice acting veterans. He is a self-admitted perfectionist who obsesses over the smallest details and my theory is that is why his dubs don't regularly rise to the same levels as the Foster or Greenfield dubs.

That said, regardless of why it happened, Chris Ayres' Maria Holic dub is the current king of 2014 Sentai dubs. I kind of wonder if even its own sequel will be able to reach the high bar set by this one.

I'm all for casting against typecast, but only when it works. Simmons as the main character in this doesn't seem to be working all that well IMO.

BTW, does anyone remember the line from the now-legendary Guin Saga dub where David Matranga said that he was going to "hold you in my powerful man arms"? Because I totally couldn't get that line out of my head when Simmons' character was fantasizing about being held by Matranga's character in episode 1 of this show.
bs3311

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
For me, one mark of an excellent English dub is that, when paired with a show that I don't care for, I realize that I want to watch that show, and watch it just because the dub is that good. Episode 1 of Upotte! didn't really have that.

He is a self-admitted perfectionist who obsesses over the smallest details and my theory is that is why his dubs don't regularly rise to the same levels as the Foster or Greenfield dubs.

I'm all for casting against typecast, but only when it works. Simmons as the main character in this doesn't seem to be working all that well IMO.

Those marks fit my need for what I found to be a great dub for a new director starting out. And I said before, Simmons performance is a like or dislike type of thing in this. I'm on the liking side for seeing an actor try a new role and to find that it worked IMO.

I'm not going to rage or consider your opinion on a dub inferior like someone who dissed not only a certain voice actor, ADR director, but certain fanbases of shows in claiming that popularity is quality.

But when watching beyond episode 1. I was futher hooked on Simmons performance during the shooting competition in episode 5 or 4 where she was shot constantly point blank ranged in the chest. Her voice and tone matched the characters expressions and movements with each shot.

I'm sorry that the dub did not please ya on the 1st episode, I'm just the kind of viewer that watches 3 or more episodes to see if a dub is good or not in my book. AKB0048 had that case, after episode 3 is when it started getting great IMO.

And I do agree Maria Holic is one of his best dubs yet since Ef. Though some of the cast sounded different from their japanese counterparts similar to Shannon Emmericks character. It seemed to fit well.

Quote:
BTW, does anyone remember the line from the now-legendary Guin Saga dub where David Matranga said that he was going to "hold you in my powerful man arms"?

By george you got it stuck in me head! Thanks! Cool

"And I will find a super awesome legacy!" A legacy of gun otaku delight!? Its official, David Matranga is a foreseer of the future! Tell the pope, THE WORLD MUST KNOW! Laughing
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I didn't really care all that much for the Japanese dub of Maria holic as it seemed really subdued, like the Japanese actresses didn't quite realize that this was a really zany show-"Excel Saga 2.0"- but the dubbers did. I wouldn't say that the Japanese dub was bad,just not as good. Also, the subtitles that Sentai used really changed some scenes vs what was actually said in the dub, and I preferred the dub's take on those scenes.

Maria Holic had a dub that I would have watched the show for, if I hadn't liked the show. I did like the show on its own though.

Upotte! is a show that, for me, really needs a dub to get me through. I'll probably finish it-it is only 10 (?!) episodes-so I'll see if my opinion changes. I do think that I need to be LOLing so much with the show that I stop trying to figure out how the whole "at the academy, all girls are guns but not all guns are girls" thing works, and I'm counting on the dub to do that. It happened in AKB0048 so it could happen here... Very Happy
Quote:
I'm not going to rage or consider your opinion on a dub inferior like someone who dissed not only a certain voice actor, ADR director, but certain fanbases of shows in claiming that popularity is quality.

? I think that Chris Ayres is a cool enough guy and I like him as an actor, but as a director...not so much. I can only hope that Maria Holic is a sign of the quality Ayres dubs to come and that dubs like Night Raid and Bodacious Space are going to be history.

The dubs of ef and Little Busters were good, and LB's dub was notable for being the only Sentai dub to use a major "Funimation First" actress, but those shows were too similar to Clannad for me.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
I'll probably finish it-it is only 10 (?!) episodes

Other than Another (which has 12), all of Sentai's relatively recent Kadokawa licenses have been 10 episode lengths.

Upotte!! - 10 Eps.
Ebiten - 10 Eps.
Fate/kaleid liner - 10 Eps.
bs3311

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
I didn't really care all that much for the Japanese dub of Maria holic as it seemed really subdued, like the Japanese actresses didn't quite realize that this was a really zany show-"Excel Saga 2.0"- but the dubbers did.

Fine with me. My history on liking and disliking dubs is pretty wierd.

I was introduced to 4 kids dubs, found subs, Hated 4kids dubs, found funimation dubs, liked them for the time being until being annoyed with female actresses and annoyance with liberal script changes to the subtitles, jumped back to subs.

Then somehow the Angel Beats and H.O.T.D. dubs brought me back to being okay with them. I watched H.O.T.D. entirely subbed, then jumped to dub. Was alright with the pop culture references used since majority of the script was intact.

I watched Angel Beats dubbed first, stopped on episode 6 to pirate subbed episodes for remainder. Went back to dub, felt that the actors kept the spirit intact from the sub. I liked or loved some of Sentai Filmworks/ADV dubs ever since.

The dubs that people horrendously despise are what prevented me from becoming a subophile butthole, flaming and raging on any dubs being brought out while insulting anyones opinion against.

Crazy............ right? Confused

Quote:
I can only hope that Maria Holic is a sign of the quality Ayres dubs to come and that dubs like Night Raid and Bodacious Space are going to be history.

The dubs of ef and Little Busters were good, and LB's dub was notable for being the only Sentai dub to use a major "Funimation First" actress, but those shows were too similar to Clannad for me.

Well will know soon enough. Chris Ayres just reported at Ohayocon 2014 (he was allowed to say since wensday) that he was done ADR directing From the New World.

Similar as in bad dub? or just the concept of the show? If in concept I can understand why. Just not your taste I guess.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:23 am Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:

Quote:
I can only hope that Maria Holic is a sign of the quality Ayres dubs to come and that dubs like Night Raid and Bodacious Space are going to be history.

Well will know soon enough. Chris Ayres just reported at Ohayocon 2014 (he was allowed to say since wensday) that he was done ADR directing From the New World.

Similar as in bad dub? or just the concept of the show? If in concept I can understand why. Just not your taste I guess.

I didn't mind the dubs of LB & ef.

Sounds as though I should have done Ohayocon but I've heard too many bad things recently (though if Greenfield had been there again-I miss the years when he was there seemingly every year-I'd have gone).

...well, now that Chris Ayres is directing From the New World I really hope that Maria Holic is his new standard for dubs and not just a fortunate fluke as FtNW is one of the few new Sentai releases for 2014 that I'm looking forward to.

Even though I'm not always satisfied with their efforts, I do like that Sentai has brought in a slew of other directors to help take the load off of Steven Foster as when he was directing everything very few dubs of his dubs were up to his usual levels. I hope that we'll start to see-hear-more "classic Foster" dubs.
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:05 am Reply with quote
Right, because every dub has to be 'wild n' wacky' for it to be considered great. Rolling Eyes

An appropriate dub for the type of show, is what I say.
Jamie38459

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:46 am Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:
Jamie38459 wrote:
Sigh... why are they having a dub of this but not Place To Place?

As much as I like Place to Place, I don't really think it would work as a dub. Many of the jokes/gags would lose their humor.

Oh, you may have a good point, but that show deserves something good instead of Uppotte! There was a somewhat unnecessary dub for Panty And Stocking but it turned out to be really good... er, on second thought why am I comparing that to Place to Place?

Oh wait how about Ground To Control Psycholetic Girl? (sorry if I mispronounce the title) That show is underrated and I feel that it would make for an outstanding dub :3
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:50 pm Reply with quote
TnKtRk wrote:
Right, because every dub has to be 'wild n' wacky' for it to be considered great. Rolling Eyes

...no wonder in the Wizard of Oz the strawman was looking for a brain Laughing
TnKtRk wrote:

An appropriate dub for the type of show, is what I say.

The irony here is that is what I wrote. Thanks for the assist.

Perhaps they should have put more veterans of these sorts of high-energy shows in the main cast. Giving a new director a new (either in general or to the "genre") cast doesn't seem like the best way to do it. Funimation has been putting new blood into its "b-list" dubs but it has been balancing out those newbies with veterans, like ecchi-show veteran Eric Vale shoring up the ecchi-show neophyte Felicia Angelle in Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero. Sentai was following that example in AKB0048 and Maria Holic but they deviated with this one. Maybe the cast of Upotte! will get in the stride of the show by the end.

Also, Jason Grundy ought to direct more often @ Sentai.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2