• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Any interest in an out of print manga list?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Edit: I have the list of incomplete series on Google docs (Drive) as a spreadsheet. Here is the link:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ap6HX26HJVt-dEFhOURnUkRJZFd1OXNTbEVmZHNXT3c&usp=sharing
EDIT:
The list of out of print manga is not going to happen, at least not anytime soon.
I have started a new thread for the List of series that are incomplete in North America

I have a list of manga that is out of print in North America that I had been keeping for the Mania forums, which seem to be dead and gone forever.

I am wondering about the possibility of posting the list here. I am asking instead of just posting it because it is very big for a forum post.
As a text file it is 34kB and slightly over 1300 lines, unwrapped.

The OOP list highlights series that were never completed.
I also have the incomplete series as a separate list, which is only 237 lines.

So, I can post the full OOP list, or I can post the incomplete series list, or I can post neither.
I will let the manga forum users, and/or the moderators, decide.
Smile[/url]

Last edited by Touma on Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:51 am; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I would very definitely like to see it. You could maybe post a link to it off-site if it's large?
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:57 am Reply with quote
Like Owly I would be very interested to see!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CheechMonger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to see have the list available as well. I miss checking in on it at the old Mania forums.
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Right now I am thinking that the best thing to do would be to have it available on the web and post the link here.
If I do that I just have to decide where to host it and what format to use.
Right now it is just a text file with BB code formatting, which will not work well outside of a forum.
Using a text editor I can easily remove the formatting and post it as plain text. The code is probably unnecessary for this list.

I might also try to find a free web site and convert the code to HTML, which would be fairly easy.
I might do that just for fun because I have not worked on a web site in years.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Actually that would be great. I'd be interested in seeing a list like that too. If not on a website then a downloadable file from a free hosting site would also work.
lys

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:38 am Reply with quote
Would it make sense to share as a google doc (spreadsheet maybe)? I use that for keeping track of my own book collection, and like being able to sort by author or publisher or title or whatever... (though if your existing list is just the titles it sounds like it'd be a lot of extra work to add other info.)
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:39 am Reply with quote
lys wrote:
Would it make sense to share as a google doc (spreadsheet maybe)? I use that for keeping track of my own book collection, and like being able to sort by author or publisher or title or whatever... (though if your existing list is just the titles it sounds like it'd be a lot of extra work to add other info.)

That is a good idea. Unfortunately since it was just a forum post it is a plain text file with some BB code tags.
I had never thought about it before but I might be able to convert it to a spreadsheet without too much work.
EDIT: What I am talking about here is the list of incomplete series, not the big OOP list.

If you are not familiar with CSV files you can skip the rest of this post.
If you do know something about CSV files please read on and tell me if this makes any sense. I do not have much experience with them.

From here on I am just rambling. Essentially typing instead of talking to myself while I am thinking. Smile
Looking at the shorter list, which is incomplete series only, this is a small sample of what it is like after I strip out the BB tags:

"
Tokyopop:
AiON (3 of 8 volumes were released)
April Showers Bring May Flowers (possibly never released)
Aqua(2 of 2 were released, but these are really the first 2 volumes of Aria)
Aria(5 of 12 were released)"

It has a separate section for each publisher because it started out as several different lists of out of print titles for each publisher.
I think that I can make it a CSV file by replacing the parentheses with the proper delimiters.
In the example given I would replace "(" with "," and ")" with ",Tokyopop".
I guess that I would have to remove or replace any existing commas before I did that.

I am going to do a bit of experimenting.
If I can get it to work as a spread sheet I will post it on Google Docs, or whatever they call it now, and possibly a few other free file sharing services.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
I would expecially like to know if I am totally wrong about this. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Last edited by Touma on Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
osakaedo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Tokyopop:
AiON (3 of 8 volumes were released)
April Showers Bring May Flowers (possibly never released)
Aqua(2 of 2 were released, but these are really the first 2 volumes of Aria)
Aria(5 of 12 were released)"

Just single question... Is this a dropped title list or an OOP list?
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
osakaedo wrote:
Just single question... Is this a dropped title list or an OOP list?

The list that I am trying to convert to a spreadsheet is for incomplete series.

I also have a list of out of print titles but it is not formatted in a way that makes it easy to convert. I might just upload it somewhere as a text file.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:11 pm Reply with quote
More the merrier - I will use these lists for when I am starting to collect new series
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I'd definitely like to see the list! I was browsing TRSI's Tokyopop section and I had to keep looking up series to see if they were complete or not.
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I just did a quick test and it looks like I can easily convert the list of incomplete series to a spreadsheet with no trouble. I just need to watch for extra commas in the text when I make the CSV file.
I can save it in both XLS and ODS formats and upload them to Google Docs (apparently called "Drive"now).

If real life does not intrude too much I should be able to get it done over the weekend.
When they are uploaded I will post the links here.

I still don't know what I might be able to do with the complete OOP list.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I now have the list of incomplete series as a spreadsheet on Google Docs.
Here is the link:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ap6HX26HJVt-dEFhOURnUkRJZFd1OXNTbEVmZHNXT3c&usp=sharing

If you have a chance to look at it I would really like some feedback because this is the first time that I have tried to use this Google service.
If it works the way that I think it does you should be able to sort it online or save it to your computer and do whatever you want with it.

Please let me know if you have any problems.

I added the link to the first post in this thread and if the spreadsheet works right I will start a new thread for it.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Parasyte continued by Kodansha Comic Del Rey

Actually, Del Rey did re-release the whole series (that's the editon I've got), they just stumbled when they tried to reprint it years later.

Quote:
Peach Girl 7 of 18 volumes were released Tokyopop

8 out of 18 volumes, I think. There are two boxsets with four volumes each.

Quote:
Pet Shop of Horrors 8 of 10 volumes were released Tokyopop

Nope, 10/10 Smile

Quote:
SaiKano 6 of 7 volumes were released Viz

Was finished, but volume 7 is very hard to find.

Quote:
Summit of the Gods, The 3 of 5 volumes were released Fanfare

Volume 4 came out last year. I'm pretty sure Fanfare plans on finishing the series.

Quote:
Swan 13 of 21 volumes were released CMX

15/21

Quote:
Zodiac P.I. 1 of 4 volumes were released Tokyopop

Was completed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3