• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gay Wedding at Tokyo Disney Resort Inspires Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Joe Carpenter wrote:
Quote:
Japan does not currently recognize same-sex marriages

huh? that's surprising, I thought the US was the only first world country that doesnt have same sex marriage
No Britain also doesn't recognise same sex marriages, yet, but very soon. I'm more surprised this happened at a Disney resort, being such an ultra conservative, family orientated venue of old. I guess Tokyo is a lot more liberal with these things.

Well, conservative and family-friendly are two separate things. Disney theme park division actually has a long history of supporting LGBT rights. The most famous example would probably be the annual "Gay Days" event which is held at Disney parks in California and Florida. It's basically a pride event at Disney World (no parade, though.)

And just this week, Disney was in the news for adding a lesbian couple to the cast of one of their sitcoms.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Yeah Disney as an entity has been (quietly) pro gay rights for a while now. Rantasmo of "Needs More Gay" and the Nostalgia Chick did a good video on it here:

http://blip.tv/nostalgia-chick/nostalgia-chick-rantasmo-disney-needs-more-gay-6545576

Since that video's release there has been a gay couple in a Disney film albeit kind of in a "blink and you'll miss it" way. The guy who runs the store / sauna in Frozen has a husband you see very briefly.

Also as someone pointed out Tokyo Disney was less liberal on the issue actually, it was Disney Worldwide that mandated that Tokyo Disney couldn't force one of the couple to wear a Tuxedo.
musouka

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:48 pm Reply with quote
This sounds absolutely wonderful. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled next time I make my rounds at my Japanese bookstores.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:00 pm Reply with quote
To me any positivity on this subject is
More than welcome but I hope soon that it doesn't need to make the new because it is the norm.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

I don't think men are necessarily threatened by it. It's been my experience that if you don't make a big deal out of it, they just don't care.

Can you define what you mean by "make a big deal?"

Like, when I came out of the closet, being gay was the only thing I really talked about for a while. And it kinda got on people's nerves. I'd kept it a secret for so long, that I sort of let it swallow me. People got fed up with me, because I was letting myself be defined by it. But now that I've cooled down; now that I'm not treating it like it's the most important part of me, I get along with people way better. I'm way more laidback. And if the conversation just happens to slip into what kinda dudes I find attractive, nobody cares. Incidentally, I actually find it really interesting to hear about the lens through which straight men view male attractiveness.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:07 pm Reply with quote
^^^

I know what you mean, even though I'm gay myself, I get annoyed then other gays throw it in people's faces. Now I don't tell people and just talk like they know as they'll pick it up eventually.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:19 pm Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
^^^

I know what you mean, even though I'm gay myself, I get annoyed then other gays throw it in people's faces. Now I don't tell people and just talk like they know as they'll pick it up eventually.

Same. I think being chill about stuff is better, anyway. The people I've met who do make a big deal out of it tend to regard me as some sort of victim. Laughing
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Laughing it's always the way
feuerwerke

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:39 pm Reply with quote
This story is absolutely adorable.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Joe Carpenter wrote:
Quote:
Japan does not currently recognize same-sex marriages

huh? that's surprising, I thought the US was the only first world country that doesnt have same sex marriage
No Britain also doesn't recognise same sex marriages, yet, but very soon. I'm more surprised this happened at a Disney resort, being such an ultra conservative, family orientated venue of old. I guess Tokyo is a lot more liberal with these things.

Disney hasn't been a promoter of "traditional family values" or anything like that in eons. The Disney of Walt and, to a lesser extent, Roy is ancient history. It'd be interesting if there were a well known, well regarded (ie:"household name") and powerful company today that were openly "right of center" as we haven't had anything like that in the US in decades, the closest that we've gotten to that has been the Koch Brothers Rolling Eyes

This doesn't really surprise me, as Samurai Champloo made it abundantly clear that Feudal Japan was a "paradise of man-love second only to Ancient Greece" and when the bros were off gettin' busy with each other, pursuing that "more noble" form of love, what were the gals to do but adapt? As the cliche goes, "Bad habits die hard."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2