• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Limited Launches Mai Mai Miracle Kickstarter for U.S, U.K. Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:03 pm Reply with quote
@SouthPacific - Right, because obviously the only people who should be allowed to watch anime are those who can read and have 20/20 vision.

All those out there with dyslexia or have less than stellar vision when it comes to reading? They are not worthy of our glorious animu.

Peasant dogs, I hope they all rot. Rolling Eyes
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
*yawn* More tedious anti-dubbing soapboxing from SouthPacific.

*sets watch*

*sigh* Actually, that was the first post I made specifically to point out some major flaws that dubbing comes with. Soapboxing sure is an overused term around here. If anything, I stole part of the post from many other comments i've seen.

It's actually quite pleasent to see people waking up, and I can only hope that we'll continue to see more sub-only releases because of aformentioned reasons Wink.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Sure, alright. Completely ignore my post which has ACTUAL reasoning behind it. Confused
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Yes because everyone who is dyslexic can't read Rolling Eyes

Is dyslexic. Prefers subs (though I like a decent dub too).
xeroth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised this hasn't already been released as it seems to pretty much be a Studio Ghibli film.
Didn't think that trailer was very convincing though, the art and song were nice but it told me nothing about the film.
if it's not too expensive I might pick up a copy.

Also, I'd have no problem with dubs if they were ever comparable to the Japanese voice talent but sadly they never seem to be.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:24 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
@SouthPacific - Right, because obviously the only people who should be allowed to watch anime are those who can read and have 20/20 vision.

All those out there with dyslexia or have less than stellar vision when it comes to reading? They are not worthy of our glorious animu.

Peasant dogs, I hope they all rot. Rolling Eyes

I know dub-purists tend to come up with some ridiculous excuses as to why dubs are good and should flourish in the anime industry, but you're really taking it to some new levels there buddy...

First off, I have terrible eye sight. Glasses help (no, i'm not kidding, they really do!). I should probably also mention that english is not my native tongue. Secondly, if you think that licensors pay a company to create a dub with people who have disabilities such as dyslexia in mind you are very oblivious to the real world...

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=477417

^Interesting quick thread on dyslexia & anime, where even the people with dyslexia overcome subs simply to get away from dubs... That alone is quite frightening to me, but I gave up on dubs a long time ago anyways.

I should probably also mention that not everyone who is dyslexic have the same amount of problems with reading, as there are many different degrees. I have met several dyslexic people who had little to barely any problem reading subtitles when watching movies in a foreign language.

Also if i'm not wrong have I not seen you post on several NISA license posts that you will not buy their releases unless they start dubbing? IIRC that's soapboxing. I could be wrong though.

Finally, you seem to believe that i hate dubs. I don't. I hate bad dubs. And right now the anime industry is full of them, and more are added with each monthly slew of releases. If there was more time & effort put into creating dubs, as well as better voice acting talents, i'm sure I would whole heartedly enjoy watching anime dubbed. Sadly that isn't the case.

Last edited by SouthPacific on Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:26 pm Reply with quote
It's not just dyslexia. Some people suffer from developmental disabilities which impairs their reading comprehension. Others simply never had the opportunity to learn literacy. It's not because they are "lazy" or "stupid", life just didn't work out the same way as it did for a lot of people. Now, are you saying these people aren't allowed to sit down and enjoy a simple TV show or film in their native language?

What about kids who are still learning to read? I'm sure they wouldn't enjoy Pokemon or Digimon or Yu-Gi-Oh! nearly as much if they couldn't tell what the characters were saying.

The fact that people like SouthPacific refuse to understand is that dubs *do* still have their purpose. Even for people who don't have disabilities, there are tons of people who just prefer watching something in their native language. They like being able to focus on the beautiful artwork and animation without constantly having to avert their eyes to the bottom of the screen. They grow fond of the English voice actors and performances that they hear in their favorite shows. If dubs were the loatheable "cancer" that you claim them to be, then obviously people would've stopped making them years ago.

Face it, dubs will never truly die out and they're going to be here to stay. The one who needs to wake up, SouthPacific, is YOU.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Well, this movie was made for kids, so a dub doesn't seem like that bad of an idea. Make it a stretch goal that doesn't force the initial pledge cost to go up, everybody wins.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:31 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
Also if i'm not wrong have I not seen you post on several NISA license posts that you will not buy their releases unless they start dubbing? IIRC that's soapboxing. I could be wrong though.

To be fair, that was quite some time ago, back when I was a much younger, angrier man. I've tried to calm myself down considerably since then and have chosen to just stay out of the majority of NISA articles.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:32 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Well, this movie was made for kids, so a dub doesn't seem like that bad of an idea. Make it a stretch goal that doesn't force the initial pledge cost to go up, everybody wins.

I could go with this, as long as creating a dub won't mean an added 8-12 months of waiting for the actual product to ship. Again, this is not going to happen.

And this may just be my perception of things, but I don't think that Anime Limited is targeting kids with this kickstarter project.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Then there is people like me who quite like both subs and dubs and I also think that the idea that Japanese voice talent is inherently better than North American voice talent is rather disrespectful to VAs. For example, in Gurren Lagann I'll take Hyden Walch and Bridget Hoffman's Nia Tepplin over Yukari Fukui's any day.... I just found Fukui painful to listen to.

...conversely I prefer Katsuyuki Konishi's Kamina to Kyle Hebert's, and I Like Kyle Hebert it is just Konishi OOZES passion in an irrepressible way that Herbert didn't quite match.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:50 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
It's not just dyslexia. Some people suffer from developmental disabilities which impairs their reading comprehension. Others simply never had the opportunity to learn literacy. It's not because they are "lazy" or "stupid", life just didn't work out the same way as it did for a lot of people. Now, are you saying these people aren't allowed to sit down and enjoy a simple TV show or film in their native language?

What about kids who are still learning to read? I'm sure they wouldn't enjoy Pokemon or Digimon or Yu-Gi-Oh! nearly as much if they couldn't tell what the characters were saying.

The fact that people like SouthPacific refuse to understand is that dubs *do* still have their purpose. Even for people who don't have disabilities, there are tons of people who just prefer watching something in their native language. They like being able to focus on the beautiful artwork and animation without constantly having to avert their eyes to the bottom of the screen. They grow fond of the English voice actors and performances that they hear in their favorite shows. If dubs were the loatheable "cancer" that you claim them to be, then obviously people would've stopped making them years ago.

Face it, dubs will never truly die out and they're going to be here to stay. The one who needs to wake up, SouthPacific, is YOU.

It seems you lost a lot of what I wrote, or simply decided to ignore it. It also seems you have some odd perceptions of things.

From the way you phrase your words it seems you percieve that I verbally attack people who are living in conditions that are less than fortunate. I have no idea how you managed to reach to this conclusion, but I can assure you that I have no such intentions. Fact is, if you're not literate chances are very high you're not living in coniditions that allow you to watch & buy anime.

As for kids that young most people that age don't watch anime, or any kind of TV show for the dialouge, but rather for what's going on in the screen. To be honest, I don't think many kids that age cares, at least not as much as you do Wink.

As for dubs still having a purpose, they sure do. I haven't said they do not have a purpose for existing, I have merely pointed out the many & major flaws that anime dubs currently have, and will continue to have until people speak up, and the industry changes. Luckily, there's a lot of change going on right this very moment. Yeah, dubs will never die out, but chances are that they will dwindle. And that's perfectly fine with me, with the current situation of things.

@GracieLizzy,
inherently is a very bad word to use when comparing the difference in Japanese & North American voice talents. Rather than bad, it's wrong. It most likely has to do with how voice acting is seen in Japan, and how extremely competitive it is over there. Not to mention how wide spread it is. All of these factors, and more, contributes to nurturing voice actors who are top quality.

If you want to read up more on the subject you can find out a lot by a simple google search. It's actually quite fascinating.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:51 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Throw in a stretch goal for an English dub and maybe I'll think about it. Confused

Dubs are cancer. The production period becomes ridiculously much longer & the price for the BD has to be bumped up. So in short; you'll have to wait longer & pay more.

It's been more than 4 years since this film was produced! If people wanna see it ASAP, they would've seen it by now. The only people left are those who already waited or willing to wait.

SouthPacific wrote:

It doesn't matter if it's good or bad, people will still buy it, so why should licensors put any effort & money into creating an awesome dub?

If people are willing to pledge money for it, then why shouldn't the licensors put effort and money into something that would earn them money? This is money upfront - they could take as long as they need; it's already been paid (not like pledgers can take their money back if it's taking too long). And the producers are more beholden to the pledgers because the way Kickstarter works, the pledgers are brought along as the production goes - they're able to dialogue directly with the producers, make suggestions, and sometimes even have a poll on how they want it. If the producers don't do a good job, any future Kickstarter project of theirs would be compromised, as pledgers would let others know.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Mm, that PV is kinda of heartwarming and I like the premise so far. I hope this will be successful!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I loved Mai Mai Miracle when I saw it at Ottawa International Animation Festival in October 2009.

Sadly, I have absolutely no money to support this Kickstarter at the moment, but I wish them well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4