• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Quote Guessing Game, Round 11

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:34 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Correct. How do you remember these stuff lol.

I cant really explain how I can remember and recall enormous amounts of trivia and useless information. I just can.

minigame should be something like: spoiler["When I grow up, I want to marry you big brother." Non Non Biyori]

Main game, Subs

Always look 30 seconds ahead
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Right on the mini-game.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:48 pm Reply with quote
For the main game, I think it's spoiler[Shiroe from Log Horizon trying (and failing) to sound cool in his post-credits preview spiel.]
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:02 pm Reply with quote
that is correct
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Pass
Key

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:34 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Seriously, all of us here are older than five. Our minds can handle big boy words. I wasn't going to censor it either since doing so totally ruins the power of the line. Not to mention that censorship shouldn't be forced anyways.

Doesn't matter.

While I've been known to use the kind of languages myself, and have no problem with listening to it in appropriate content, I don't want to see these forums littered with it - and yes, it will drive at least some people away who might otherwise be inclined to post here. Doesn't matter if you think people are being overly sensitive; they should be able to talk about their favorite hobby without having to deal with trashy language. Same goes with this game. I wouldn't tolerate it anymore else anywhere in the forums, either.

The ruling on this stands. Foul language must be censored if used, and should be avoided in general.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rheiders

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:37 am Reply with quote
I'll take the pass. Probably pretty easy. Sub.

Character A: [Character] wishes to see that you take the flight first. She never voices it, but she is more concerned for you than for herself.
Character B: You mean I'm a burden on her?
Character A: No. It is [Character]'s issue and not your fault. But that is how it is.
murph76

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:41 am Reply with quote
This is from spoiler[Haibane Renmei. Character A is the Communicator, Character B is Reki. The third character mentioned is Nemu, who] [major plot point spoilers] spoiler[wishes to see Reki deal with whatever issue is keeping her sin-bound and take the Day of Flight like all good Haibane.]
rheiders

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:49 am Reply with quote
^Yep. Knew it wouldn't last long. But I like that quote a lot Smile
murph76

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:53 am Reply with quote
I adore that show. I pass.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:07 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Doesn't matter.

While I've been known to use the kind of languages myself, and have no problem with listening to it in appropriate content, I don't want to see these forums littered with it - and yes, it will drive at least some people away who might otherwise be inclined to post here. Doesn't matter if you think people are being overly sensitive; they should be able to talk about their favorite hobby without having to deal with trashy language. Same goes with this game. I wouldn't tolerate it anymore else anywhere in the forums, either.

The ruling on this stands. Foul language must be censored if used, and should be avoided in general.

You'd have a point if it actually happened all the time, but it doesn't. It happens rarely, and in the case of the quote I used, it's used appropriately to give the line that much more weight. They're just words, and yes, people should get over it. There's nothing 'foul' about them, people just arbitrarily decided there was. How come we can't say the s word but saying poop is okay? They mean the same damn darn thing.

ANN rules are pretty clear that swearing isn't banned. If you want to ban it from the game, please change the game rules to specifically say so. Then I'd have no room to argue. Because saying that it "must conform to normal forum rules" means that we can swear.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:14 am Reply with quote
[EDIT: Added second part. - Key]

dub:

Original Version:
(Warning, this quote contains profanity!! If you don't want to see that don't mouseover)

spoiler[Character A: "[I am] sorry. The repair people came yesterday. [I] only wanted to make sure that they had fixed the telephone properly."
Character B: "This man, the Judge, did he say anything... what the?-- Repair?!"
Character C: "Shit!"]

Way it should be done:
Character A: "[I am] sorry. The repair people came yesterday. [I] only wanted to make sure that they had fixed the telephone properly."
Character B: "This man, the Judge, did he say anything... what the?-- Repair?!"
Character C: "[censored]!"
Key

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:14 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
You'd have a point if it actually happened all the time, but it doesn't. It happens rarely, and in the case of the quote I used, it's used appropriately to give the line that much more weight. They're just words, and yes, people should get over it. There's nothing 'foul' about them, people just arbitrarily decided there was. How come we can't say the s word but saying poop is okay? They mean the same damn darn thing.

Again, doesn't matter. Just a single instance that's clearly tolerated is enough to turn some people away. Do I think that's fair? No, but that's how it is. First impressions matter, and that's what you don't seem to be appreciating, Vaisaga; heck, just a couple of weeks ago I made a bad first impression on the parent of a new student in my class because I used the phrase "pissed off" in class. You can rail all you want about how people should just "get over it" or how they're "just words," and for the most part I would agree with you, but that isn't the way some people - especially very conservative people - see it. And that includes some who frequent this forums, as I can attest, as a Mod, from seeing the reported post logs. That's reality, and whether you like it or agree with it or not doesn't matter.

And yes, there absolutely is a difference between using "poop" and using the s word in the minds of some people. Just like there's a difference between using "damn" and "darn" and "heck" and "hell." (I would never censor someone in forums in either the latter cases, though, as there's a limit to how far I will tolerate religious conservatism.)

Quote:
ANN rules are pretty clear that swearing isn't banned.

You're mincing words here. Yes, it's not explicitly banned, but it's also officially discouraged. Such language gets censored on a regular basis in the Talkback forum because we get complaints about it most of the time it pops up.

Quote:
If you want to ban it from the game, please change the game rules to specifically say so. Then I'd have no room to argue. Because saying that it "must conform to normal forum rules" means that we can swear.

Especially given the curious timing of Galap's most recent quote post (am I supposed to not take that as being done deliberately?), I can see where this is going. So yes, I am going to put it into the official games rules right now.

EDIT: Done. See the OP, and see the way I'm editing Galap's quote post, above. And really, I advise against people pushing their luck by pulling stupid crap (and yes, that's an acceptable word) like self-censoring words that aren't really what I'm talking about. If you are not absolutely, perfectly clear about what I mean by the way I wrote it in the OP then feel free to PM me about particular wording in a quote before you post it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:49 am Reply with quote
"Shoot" and "frick" can be in PG rated movies these days. These words are more and more becoming a common and accepted part of our language. Especially on the internet. If people get so offended by them, it's probably best that they stay offline.

But it's in the rules now, so whatever. Though I think you're being too excessive by putting bitch on the list since that one is considered to be one of the minor ones.

I have to ask why you haven't invalidated Galap's quote. So does putting the whole thing in spoiler tags with a swear warning count as acceptable censoring?

EDIT: Guess not. Shame the quote is totally ruined now.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:07 am Reply with quote
I entirely disagree that the quote is "totally ruined" because of the censored word. What's going on there is still perfectly clear to me, and that quote sounds at least vaguely familiar even without knowing that word. If it's going to be rendered unidentifiable by that specific word not being allowed then the quote shouldn't be used.

And I included "bitch" because people do complain about it. But it's a word that very rarely comes up in anime dubs (is there not really an equivalent Japanese insult?), so it shouldn't be an issue.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 101